oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Does Snodgrass score from open play? All of his goals seem to be freekicks and pens. Genuine question.

The last goal he scored was from open play.

Just checked, he has 7 goals this season, 2 goals from penalties and 4 from set pieces (all free kicks?) so one goal from open play + 2 assists. I'd expect him to become our free kick and corner taker if he signed.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If we sign Snodgrass, Subotic, Bojan & Bamford that would be insane!

Is Snodgrass a wide man then?

He's played most of his games as a right midfielder this season according to Transfermarkt but I think he can play on the left side and in the #10 role if needed.

Does Snodgrass score from open play? All of his goals seem to be freekicks and pens. Genuine question.

Just checked, he has 7 goals this season, 2 goals from penalties and 4 from set pieces (all free kicks?) so one goal from open play + 2 assists.  I'd expect him to become our free kick and corner taker if he signed.

He's scored at least 2 from open play. One against Leicester and the volley against West Brom (the last one i mentioned previously)

Snodgrass is better than what we have and would fit into our system but I hope we're aiming for more of a "next level" type of winger. The big weakness of our wide options is that there isn't a great deal of difference in ability between all the options behind Ramirez, who isn't naturally a wide player, so I'm hoping we can get one really good winger in that will considerably raise our standards. Plus, he's 29 so he could turn out to be another ageing player like Downing or Nugent who'll do do a good job of achieving the short term objective - this time survival, as opposed to promotion like last season - before taking a hit of their fee in order to move them on in a year of two's time if we achieve that objective. Someone like Deulofeu would be far more of a "next level" option who'll be able to grow with us as we hope to progress. He has the right mix of ability and potential so he'd be the best option for us.

Sturridge to West Ham?

I'd have him like

Why? He'd spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

Can pull a goal out of nowhere on his day. 

Also not scared to shoot from range. We could do with someone like that.

How can you say signing this person would be insane and then ask what position he plays?

Insanely good.....  Dear me....  Straight on the negative there wasn't you.

Someone on FMTTM reckons we're in for Snodgrass, Downing may be used as make weight in deal mentioned ..

I'd be very happy with Snodgrass here. Particularly if we pull off the signing of Bojan, Subotic and Bamford as well. Would be a good window for us.

I thought that the idea was to loan, not sell or exchange Downing.

Just checked, he has 7 goals this season, 2 goals from penalties and 4 from set pieces (all free kicks?) so one goal from open play + 2 assists.  I'd expect him to become our free kick and corner taker if he signed.

He's scored at least 2 from open play. One against Leicester and the volley against West Brom (the last one i mentioned previously)

I got it from squawka so I'm not sure.

We need to add quality that doesn't spend half the season (or more) on the treatment table. We're not in Liverpool's position who only need that bit of a boost every now and again, we need consistently available players to maintain our league status.

How can you say signing this person would be insane and then ask what position he plays?

Insanely good.....  Dear me....  Straight on the negative there wasn't you.

I understand what you are saying, I just don't know how you can say signing a player would be insanely good then following up by asking what position he plays? Either you are simply following the stats or buying into the hype?

If i wanted to be negative I could say:

Snodgrass - has been relegated with the last few clubs he has played for.

Subotic - hasn't played a game in two years.

Bamford - barely played a game since the play-off final.

Bojan - failed at every club he has been at.

Calling you out on something daft is different.

I'm not 100% sold on snodgrass, he's probably better than what we have on the right but that's not saying much plus he's still another slower more methodical type player that we have plenty of already and if most of his assists come from set pieces then is he not having much impact during open play?

Prefer deleufeo or maybe even Moses Simon.