oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Think I'm gonna calmly wait for the window to shut before I form an opinion on this window. Obviously the club have missed out on some players but I'm sure they have other players in mind. Still think we can be competitive in this league.

That is not in keeping with the spirit of this forum!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the title of this is shocking... Worst transfer window ever?? Give you head a wobble... Willo flood Chris Killan... Ring any bells for feck sake...

:)

You're not wrong like.

Sorry the title of this is shocking... Worst transfer window ever?? Give you head a wobble... Willo flood Chris Killan... Ring any bells for feck sake...

At least he gave us this beauty...

In terms of contribution Gestede won't bring much more than Killen did though  :D

Can't wait for DS to come on and reveal VB's news that we're signing James Rodríguez and Fàbregas on loan for the rest of the season... Wishful thinking?? :)

Forgive me for harping on about this, but I've yet to find any mention from a reliable source that the Jesé deal has fallen through, other than a single reposted (and rebranded) claim originally made by Cope.es, which has then been reported elsewhere.

As it seems that most people on here have accepted that there will be no deal, I'm just interested as to where this 'final word' has come from.

You're right buddy.  I think the sense is that Las Palmas are close but it's not finalised yet.

That's more or less what I gathered too. I do agree that signing a player who doesn't want to be here is bad business but, at the same time, we knew that he preferred to go to Las Palmas anyway. We would only ever have been second choice. 

What Jesé wants is pretty clear. The question is: how far will Las Palmas go to sign him and will PSG play ball? I don't think this saga is over yet (or at least I hope it isn't).

In terms of contribution Gestede won't bring much more than Killen did though  :D

I know this is probably mostly in jest, but honestly mate this is ridiculous.

There isnt too much of a gulf between top half Championship and bottom half Premier League. Proven Championship players are in demand and offer an alternative for potentially relegated Premier League sides than say a 10 million player from Europe who will not retain his market value. If Cairney was to sign in January and does well for 6 months his value increases and we keep an asset. If it does not work out but we stay up he can be sold back to a Championship team for the same outlay or we keep him for a promotion push. Look at Villa and their 50 million spree across Europe last season with the likes of Amavi, Gueye, Ayew, Veretout, Traore which ended up in relegation, huge losses and a move back to traditional and proven Championship signings like McCormack, Elphick, Tshibola, Kodija, Lansbury, Bree, Hourihane.

Despite the influx of money until we are an established Premier League side it will be difficult to attract certain types of players to the club. This is not a negative comment towards the current management because of our situation and squad but can you blame certain players for not wanting to come to a team who average 2.4 shots a game and are one of the worst Premier League teams to watch?

Just watched a video of cairney, think the people saying he won't improve us are being a bit harsh on him. He definately offers something none of our current midfielders do, looks powerful and direct with some good technique. Doesn't look massively different to gaston if I'm being honest.

One question not really transfer related. Where did people expect us to be this season. I was hoping for 14th-16th. If anyone expected above this I would suggest you are optimists. I just can't understand where people's expectations are coming from. We have aimed for really high quality targets and appear to have missed out. Boohoo. I'd be more concerned if we had aimed just for players who tend to be in relegated teams (Gary O'Neil springs to mind). We may not have progressed as far as you may have wanted, but we have progressed and we are trying to improve. I'm just a bit sick and tired of the bedwetting. It's like schoolyard stuff blaming karanka for not getting the signings. In general he identifies he targets and the club does what it can to get them. If they can't we move on to the next ones. (Granted jese is a slight exception as he was known to karanka personally).

I don't have blind faith in the club but I'd rather support decisions than just pull everything they try to bits. Also, aiming criticisms at those who have no control of the outcome just because you don't like that person just seems a little childish to me.

Fingers crossed at least a few of those still on the list come in, irrespective of their current clubs.

Forgive me for harping on about this, but I've yet to find any mention from a reliable source that the Jesé deal has fallen through, other than a single reposted (and rebranded) claim originally made by Cope.es, which has then been reported elsewhere.

As it seems that most people on here have accepted that there will be no deal, I'm just interested as to where this 'final word' has come from.

Basically the deal is about to be formalised

That seems pretty clear. Cheers, mate. Mind you, there is something about a fat lady singing.