oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Not really Karankas biggest fan but we can't exactly blame him for this transfer window, can understand his frustrations this time.

He's also not going to walk out. He wouldn't. Surely it can't make him very employable for future jobs? Going gets tough so leave?

Exactly... I don't get how Karanka listing Bojan, Jesé, Snograss and/or deulofeu as potenial attacking targets and the club trying but unfortunately missing out for various different reasons falls to the blame solely on AK..

Obviously he is going to be frustrated today.

He is probably most frustrated at the player's themselves. for us to be chasing Jese for weeks, he must have been making some positive noises, same for Bojan.

Karanka and Bausor got played this month by the players and more than likely their agents. I'd be frustrated too.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that he's saying we haven't improved as yet, spent £12m but not improved the squad.

If Rhodes goes for £9mil+ and with Nugent gone he's not really spent anything

I will reserve judgement until I have seen the interview but my boy just texted me to say that AK not a happy chappy at all!

Wouldn't we all be disappointed if he wasn't though? Reading between the lines I think it is the Ramirez thing which is making him most annoyed and if this latest "injury" isn't kosher then who would blame him

Calm heads needed though.

Anyone seen Karankas comments in the presser.. he's proper radged!

He's basucally having a pop at Gibson and Bauser, a week after having a pop at the fans. Whether he's right or wrong, he's still playing a dangerous game.

Strange how everybody here is frustrated with lack of signings but as soon as Aitor shows his frustration he is chastised. At least it shows he still wants players in, would you rather him just say oh no I'm really happy with everything. No you wouldn't if he said that you'd call him deluded and say 'can't believe he thinks the squad is good enough'

I started reading this forum after the old 606 closed and it was a great forum. Prowlers odd wind ups aside :-p but now it seems it's just a place for whingey know it alls.

Can't entirely blame him here can we? Depends who has set our famed policy in recent years of identifying a narrow list of targets and then, in AVs favourite word to describe our policy, be 'relaxed' as we watch half of our targets choose elsewhere then wait for one of them to come to us later in the window when their options narrow. Contingencies are usually in place as well but they're often many levels below the primary target, De Peña, and as CT has said usually we end windows with a stronger squad but not necessarily much stronger of a line up.

I'll add a caveat because if I could wrap my head around this a week ago I'd imagine people at the club have as well, Bojan was understandable Stoke stonewalled it and said no loan pay the 12 mill which we apparently were prepared to do but Bojan didn't want the move now he wanted a loan to buy which Stoke would block. Snodgrass was never not choosing West Ham and their chequebook/league pos/stadium/London that was clearly a non starter. Jess seems like it was unlikely all along because the hometown club dynamic but he was probably the most realistic out of the three.

The question is if I reached those conclusions on all 3 a week ago using simply logic and the titbits of public information surely the club have known for over a week each of the 3 were very unlikely and should have moved to other targets. Problem is the Cairney story has come out in the day following Bojan/Jese news which leaves me feeling we are chasing the news and always being reactive rather than proactive which has been the policy of the club, we chased Rhodes for 2 full windows and then the club gets a nice pat on the back for it's policy being persistent and patient. The clues are all there to tell us our transfer policy is deliberate in it's diligence and patience which has it's merits with some of our long term targets but it's looking like leaving us in a hole come February 1st.

Yes my lad has just phoned me about a very negative AK press conference and the use of the words "I don't care" regarding questions about Ramirez and Rhodes.

Seemed very defensive about incomings as well and indicated that the club knew a month ago who he wanted in.

Will have to view it myself but my lad said he would not be surprised to see AK walk after the WBA game depending on result

Strange how everybody here is frustrated with lack of signings but as soon as Aitor shows his frustration he is chastised. At least it shows he still wants players in, would you rather him just say oh no I'm really happy with everything. No you wouldn't if he said that you'd call him deluded and say 'can't believe he thinks the squad is good enough'

I started reading this forum after the old 606 closed and it was a great forum. Prowlers odd wind ups aside :-p but now it seems it's just a place for whingey know it alls.

What sort of message is he sending to his players though? I want to hear some positivity and fighting talk from the manager not someone who sounds like he is throwing the towel in.

I love Karanka but his heart overrules his head so many times, I would like him to be a bit more controlled and actually think before he starts firing off at everyone.

He really doesn't help himself at all.

Interesting that he's saying we haven't improved as yet, spent £12m but not improved the squad.

If Rhodes goes for £9mil+ and with Nugent gone he's not really spent anything

True, but the magic word is if, I realise we've shifted a lot of dead wood, the transfer window perceived failures are nobody's fault, but if Jese said no on Jan 1st or 21st then we should have moved on to plan b etc. I still think Jose will do AK a solid, (I hope he will)

I do think any party is innocent, and I don't think any party is guilty. The reality is, to quote old Mogga 'Itbis what it is.' It's been well documented why our 3/4 main targets haven't arrived, and there was very little Gibbo, Bauser, Karanka, Orta, the scouting team or anyone could have done about those reasons.

January is always difficult. Attracting high reutation players to Teesside has always had its challenges. Getting players to sign for a side in a relegation battle is always a ball ache. But in confident the club will still be working behind the scenes.

Anyone just seen Karanka interview on SSN. He is not happy! Doesn't want to talk about transfers and kept referring to 'the club knew who I wanted'

He's really pushing his luck with his comments to the media in the last few weeks

Nothing is ever his fault

I assume from the last sentence you believe this is his fault? Can you elaborate on that? Given that he isn't involved in transfer negotiations I'd be very interested to know.

Not saying it is but he seems to have developed a habit of blaiming everyone but himself over the last few weeks

So he said one thing about the fans after the West Ham game, what else has he done in recent weeks that shows him shirking responsibility?

It's interesting that you say he's developing a habit of blaming everyone else, because I could just as easily say everyone else seems to have a habit of blaming him and not just for things he deserves. The sun don't shine out his *** by any means but I guarantee there will be Boro fans out there thinking it's Aitor's fault that we haven't signed anyone.

And that means he has to defend himself. I don't think it should just always be the case that he defends the hierarchy and makes himself the scapegoat for everything. He's in the limelight so that will inevitably happen but I think he has a right to fend for himself from time to time and this is absolutely one of those times.

I personally like to see it too, shows me that he cares what happens to the club. He doesn't want to see us go back down and he knows that without signings in key areas, that is a more difficult task to accomplish.