oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

I have the same feeling now that I had at the same point under Southgate in the Premier league. While teams around us are trying we are not doing enough to try and stay up, Steve Gibsom gets all the praise when things are going well but if we go down again this season he's got to take some blame because our transfer policy hasn't been good enough so far.

Remember back in 2009 when a team 'panic bought' James Beattie and he scored about 7 goals keeping them up? Can't even remember who the team was now either,Southampton maybe?

This is the first time this season I've properly felt like we're preparing not just for the championship but without karanka aswell.

I now feel with all these apparent games going on that it's going to be to hard to carry on and he'll either walk in the next few days/weeks or mutual consent in summer. Either way this is his last season here I'm almost certain.

Stoke, according to wiki they only paid 3.5m for him, hardly a panic buy.

That's how much we are paying for guediora and he is apparently a 'huge panic buy'.

I do remember fans that season saying Beattie was *** and we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole etc, guess something's never change!

Fair point, but there's panic buys and needless buys, why not just get de sart back from Derby??

What would that achieve? Guediora is at least experienced and shown he can do the odd thing in the premiership. Plus he's better than any of our cm were in the championship so it's even a slight improvement on the team.

Some people need to seriously re evaluate their perceived level of our team. I've seen people saying Young, Lennon, cleverly, carrick, Fabio etc are '***e' yet every single one of those players are better than what we have and would walk into our team.

I wish people would just get real sometimes instead of putting so much pressure on the club because of their in realistic expectations.

Put it like this fans of other teams will see us on a par with Hull and Swansea and that is exactly our current level. If people could understand that the whole environment around the fans would be so much better.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about Karanka's first summer window earlier. Very odd set of players. We already know Vossen wasn't his signing, while Clayton, Nsue, Damia & Kike were. Omeruo and Bamford obviously came on Mourinho's recommendation. So what about the likes of Husband? Widschut? How long have we had all these different factors dictating the makeup of our squad? I've always just assumed Karanka had the final word on transfers, but to be honest I haven't got a clue.

I've made my feelings about transfer stuff clear on this forum on numerous occasions.  I got some grief and I understand why that was because when things are going well, focusing on things that you think don't look right just looks unnecessarily negative. If you actually break everything down a lot of it doesn't add up. We've signed players that quite clearly aren't the type of players that fit into Karanka's style of play/system call it whatever you want.  We've signed players I would say he didn't want but perhaps didn't object to.  People need to remember he comes from a culture where the head coach has little say on transfers - Real Madrid head coaches aren't picking out the players.

The thing for me is whether he identifies the specific players or not, we should never be signing players that don't fit how we play.  That should be a fairly basic thing that should just never happen. Maybe you sign players that aren't good enough but they should always fit how your head coach sets the team up especially when it's a very clear way of playing.  I really don't understand how that happens.

Taking it further, if he genuinely signed off on all of the summer transfers then he is partly at fault because I can't believe he looked at those incomings and felt we'd really strengthened.  If he signed off on them in the belief that other better players would be joining then that's slightly different albeit we signed a lot of players so really you'd have to question how many of them we'd want/need if we were also signing a couple of better players.  If he's simply asking for specific types of players and then leaves it in the hands of the scouting department then it's a bit different I guess and even if he's shown some video of certain players he's still really reliant on other people's judgement.

I can't believe that one way or another there won't be some significant changes at the football club as a result of the last month.  It's possible we're all getting it wrong but it looks dysfunctional to me, if that's the correct word.

Anyone reckon that if we complete a deal for Guedioura then we may possibly sell Ramirez to Leicester? I know they're not like for like but I can't see the reason behind getting another CM?

As I mentioned earlier, we play with 3 in midfield now. I don't think we planned on that earlier in the season. So we realistically have 4 midfielders for 3 slots, what with De Sart out on loan. I don't think he'll play Downing there.

Doesn't Guedioura cover RB too?

Remember back in 2009 when a team 'panic bought' James Beattie and he scored about 7 goals keeping them up? Can't even remember who the team was now either,Southampton maybe?

This is the first time this season I've properly felt like we're preparing not just for the championship but without karanka aswell.

I now feel with all these apparent games going on that it's going to be to hard to carry on and he'll either walk in the next few days/weeks or mutual consent in summer. Either way this is his last season here I'm almost certain.

Stoke, according to wiki they only paid 3.5m for him, hardly a panic buy.

That's how much we are paying for guediora and he is apparently a 'huge panic buy'.

I do remember fans that season saying Beattie was *** and we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole etc, guess something's never change!

Fair point, but there's panic buys and needless buys, why not just get de sart back from Derby??

What would that achieve? Guediora is at least experienced and shown he can do the odd thing in the premiership. Plus he's better than any of our cm were in the championship so it's even a slight improvement on the team.

Some people need to seriously re evaluate their perceived level of our team. I've seen people saying Young, Lennon, cleverly, carrick, Fabio etc are '***' yet every single one of those players are better than what we have and would walk into our team.

I wish people would just get real sometimes instead of putting so much pressure on the club because of their in realistic expectations.

Put it like this fans of other teams will see us on a par with Hull and Swansea and that is exactly our current level. If people could understand that the whole environment around the fans would be so much better.

Forshaw, Clayton, De Roon, Leadbitter..... 

He would be an improvement??

Some people need to seriously re evaluate their perceived level of our team. I've seen people saying Young, Lennon, cleverly, carrick, Fabio etc are '***' yet every single one of those players are better than what we have and would walk into our team.

Oh give it a ***ing rest mate.  Nobody needs to re-evaluate their perceived level of our team because they think signing someone like him isn't much to write home about. Guedioura had a few good games two years ago in the Championship.  Have a look at this Premier League record in his entire career - I actually made a mistake earlier, he's started about 30 games in 7 seasons in the Premier League not 20 in 4!  We get it, you saw him play quite well for Watford when we were all going for promotion so now he's better than all our players  :rolleyes:

We're a Premier League team and you want us to be happy with Championship calibre players.  Why don't you re-evaluate your perceived level of our team and try and remember what division we actually play in right now.

Havent caught all the way up yet so not sure how it has developed but I wouldnt mind Ince or Lennon. Think people are letting the fact Ince played for Derby and was their hope when we beat them cloud their judgement...he isnt a bad little player.

Guediora or however its spelt... might be good, might not. Im certainly not going to be outraged if he signs because I havent seen him play! But how do we know AK didnt turn up at 8am this morning, get given a list of players that we could potentially get in before the deadline and he said "Guediora and one of Ince or Lennon. And keep Ramirez ya doyles".

This window cant be judged as a failure or success when the window closes. The proof will be after 38 games to see if we ended this window with a squad better than 3 rivals.

Back to page 187 I go.

Oh give it a *** rest mate.  Nobody needs to re-evaluate their perceived level of our team because they think signing someone like him isn't much to write home about. Guedioura had a few good games two years ago in the Championship.  Have a look at this Premier League record in his entire career - I actually made a mistake earlier, he's started about 30 games in 7 seasons in the Premier League not 20 in 4!  We get it, you saw him play quite well for Watford when we were all going for promotion so now he's better than all our players  :rolleyes:

We're a Premier League team and you want us to be happy with Championship calibre players.  Why don't you re-evaluate your perceived level of our team and try and remember what division we actually play in right now.

Jesus Christ talk about missing the point, why focus on guediora and totally ignore the other players I mentioned?

No where not once have I said guediora is a good signing this window, but bringing up your championship theory, 2 of our 3 midfielders are championship and guediora is better than them. Some people just can't accept that.

The quicker you lower your expectations until we get some real quality players in the better.

Anyone reckon that if we complete a deal for Guedioura then we may possibly sell Ramirez to Leicester? I know they're not like for like but I can't see the reason behind getting another CM?

As I mentioned earlier, we play with 3 in midfield now. I don't think we planned on that earlier in the season. So we realistically have 4 midfielders for 3 slots, what with De Sart out on loan. I don't think he'll play Downing there.

Doesn't Guedioura cover RB too?

I just can't believe we've waited all window to sign another CM, especially when we let De Sart go and Karanka said we needed to trim numbers. Something does just doesn't add up for me. I'd be surprised if we signed him with the intention of him possibly playing RB.

Oh give it a *** rest mate.  Nobody needs to re-evaluate their perceived level of our team because they think signing someone like him isn't much to write home about. Guedioura had a few good games two years ago in the Championship.  Have a look at this Premier League record in his entire career - I actually made a mistake earlier, he's started about 30 games in 7 seasons in the Premier League not 20 in 4!  We get it, you saw him play quite well for Watford when we were all going for promotion so now he's better than all our players  :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ talk about missing the point, why focus on guediora and totally ignore the other players I mentioned?

No where not once have I said guediora is a good signing this window, but bringing up your championship theory, 2 of our 3 midfielders are championship and guediora is better than them. Some people just can't accept that.

The quicker you lower your expectations until we get some real quality players in the better.

hes a decent creative player. thats an improvement over decent none creative players that he will be competing with. nice to see a player with a bit of flair potentially coming in.