oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Hi, I am worried by the inactivity (seemingly) of our transfers! But I do think aslong as Gaston stays we have enough quality to scrape by this season. It will take a great effort especially from the likes of downing (not a great fan of him) but I think his experience will be vital.

This Watford player isn't exciting but I remember us playing Watford a couple of seasons ago and I remember him standing out so might not be too bad of a signing.... We are tentatively linked to Townsend I know it's been rejected but it shows that there is an effort to get a 'winger' in.

Hopefully aitor won't leave after this and sticks around for a few more years it could come good! I think so anyway! I've watched this forum and fmttm for a while and I've come to the conclusion this is the better of the two..

I love the info/rumours good and bad!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Think a lot of people overrate Rhodes, you can say he's never been given a fair crack but he just wouldn't work in this system. Negredo does a much better job at holding the ball up and being a lone striker, Rhodes is awful and can't hold the ball up and any Blackburn fan said the same (I live with one).

Rhodes is just decent at putting the ball in the net but we don't have the creativity for that.

I never rated Rhodes before we bought him and nothing he's done since has changed my mind He does score goals and you can't downplay that but I don't see much else

Think a lot of people overrate Rhodes, you can say he's never been given a fair crack but he just wouldn't work in this system. Negredo does a much better job at holding the ball up and being a lone striker, Rhodes is awful and can't hold the ball up and any Blackburn fan said the same (I live with one).

Rhodes is just decent at putting the ball in the net but we don't have the creativity for that.

I too am getting fed up with the "Rhodes wasn't given a fair crack". If he'd impressed in training he'd have played, if he had shown his premier league quality before surely someone else for the premier league would've come in for him. Also when he was on top of his game no one else came in for him (from the premier league)

I like the lad and he seems a ultimate professional and I hope he bangs them in for Wednesday but like others he falls into the awesome in the championship not good enough for the premier league i.e. Darren Huckerby

Jay Rodriguez is not on the bench for Southampton, which is why there's suggestions he might leave I guess.

I do hope we're in for him, though I wouldn't be surprised if Burnley are in for him too.

Agree with this, bamford is a far better all round player.

Let's look at what's happened...

Villa come in for him and are scared off by the value, they then go on to sign a championship forward for more than Rhodes would have cost.

Sheff wed eventually come in on deadline day and put up the money.

Now just honestly answer the question, if he really is that great why have only 2 championship teams shown any serious interest and even then put it off till deadline day with one of the teams passing on him completely. Not like they are even top championship teams either, more like upper middle teams.

He is vastly overrated.

The likelihood of there being a big removal at the club this week is very high. Apologies are being demanded from very high up for certain statements and it could happen as early as tomorrow if the face to face doesn't go well.

AK is gone if we lose tonight imo

I too am getting fed up with the "Rhodes wasn't given a fair crack". If he'd impressed in training he'd have played, if he had shown his premier league quality before surely someone else for the premier league would've come in for him. Also when he was on top of his game no one else came in for him (from the premier league)

I like the lad and he seems a ultimate professional and I hope he bangs them in for Wednesday but like others he falls into the awesome in the championship not good enough for the premier league i.e. Darren Huckerby

AK said multiple times rhodes trained very well. He still didn't get any game time.

He was mismanaged.

We chased Rhodes for 1-2 years then didn't even give him a chance. We are a bit of a shambles really.

Rhodes played 18 games for us last season, scored 6. Not a bad return, but hardly PL material, I'd say. I appreciate he wasn't given a chance in the PL, but to say he wasn't given a chance at all is untrue.

I like the guy, he seems to have his head and heart in the right places. I wish him every success.

"There have been rumours that Jay Rodriguez could leave Southampton today"

I think Spurs and West Brom are looking at him. Not sure why Spurs would want him with the class they've already got, but I find it hard to believe he'd pick us over West Brom.

Hi, I am worried by the inactivity (seemingly) of our transfers! But I do think aslong as Gaston stays we have enough quality to scrape by this season. It will take a great effort especially from the likes of downing (not a great fan of him) but I think his experience will be vital.

This Watford player isn't exciting but I remember us playing Watford a couple of seasons ago and I remember him standing out so might not be too bad of a signing.... We are tentatively linked to Townsend I know it's been rejected but it shows that there is an effort to get a 'winger' in.

Hopefully aitor won't leave after this and sticks around for a few more years it could come good! I think so anyway! I've watched this forum and fmttm for a while and I've come to the conclusion this is the better of the two..

Thanks for that and welcome to the forum :)

Your opinion might change from time to time!

No it is not a bad place to be

Rhodes never scored a goal for us at the Riverside. He scored some important goals for us but he has been a disappointment.

*** off, he was completely mis managed. A run of 5 games up front and he would have scored. Guaranteed.

He did fluff a lot of chances for us though. We bought him for his clinical finishing. I think in a two upfront he'd have done alright but 1 up top he's been average.

Love it. As soon as a player leaves some people just can't wait to latch on to 'never rating' him or 'over rated' tag line.

Rhodes scores goals, yet we have been crying out for goals this season, so why hasn't he got a look in? Negredo went 10 games without a goal, would Rhodes have done the same had he been given the same opportunity? I doubt it, but the worst thing is he will be the one who got away and come May I hope we're not kicking ourselves thinking we should have kept hold of him.

The likelihood of there being a big removal at the club this week is very high. Apologies are being demanded from very high up for certain statements and it could happen as early as tomorrow if the face to face doesn't go well.

AK is gone if we lose tonight imo

Yeah i agree karanka has probably p..sed off Steve Gibson with his comments about the transfer market, hes losing the fans with his constant throwing his toys our of the pram and his comments after the West Ham towards the fans.

Well Bamford essentially falls into the same bracket as Rhodes (in terms of PL contribution) but we feel he can offer more than Rhodes. Why is that?

In my opinion that is that Rhodes, quite simply, does not fit our system. He's not versatile, he's not big and strong, he's not quick. He's a poacher who has shown throughout his career that you get the best out of him alongside a strike partner. And he can show that in training every day but he wouldn't have been selected in our side. He could have impressed being what he is but not being what he isn't.

I think the only time we seen him alongside another striker this year really was at home to Spurs, arguably his best contribution this year, looked brighter than his 2 games against West Ham and Southampton when he was on his own.

Similarly to Bamford's 3 spells at PL clubs, I don't think it is fair to judge him as a PL striker based on his time here. I think, playing alongside the kind of striker he is used to, he could have scored plenty in this division and I hope that he personally gets the chance to prove that point to everyone at some stage in his career.

Love it. As soon as a player leaves some people just can't wait to latch on to 'never rating' him or 'over rated' tag line.

Rhodes scores goals, yet we have been crying out for goals this season, so why hasn't he got a look in? Negredo went 10 games without a goal, would Rhodes have done the same had he been given the same opportunity? I doubt it, but the worst thing is he will be the one who got away and come May I hope we're not kicking ourselves thinking we should have kept hold of him.

Not true, I rate bamford higher than Rhodes and made that clear since last January.

Thanks for that and welcome to the forum :)

Your opinion might change from time to time!

No it is not a bad place to be

I'm sure it will change but ultimately this manager and team is the best I've seen us since McLaren ( might not mean much) better things to come I'm sure. Though we lose tonight and I'd just as ***ed off as the rest of us?

Supporting Boro is the most frustrating thing always has been. You always get that so near and yet so far feeling.

It would be amazing if we could pull jay Rodriguez out of the bag!