oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

It won't happen but I reckon now would be a good time for Gibson to do one of his BBC Tees things. I'm sure he's done it once or twice before. It'd be nice to know the thinking behind what's gone on this month and I'd be interested to know the direction Gibson wants us to go in because right now it's unclear to me. Obviously he wants us to stay in the Premier League but I'm talking about the bigger picture really.

The last time Gibson did that he said the whole of Stockton are Sunderland fans, the bloke is well out of touch with what's going on.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Grosicki to Hull confirmed. See how easy it is to get a decent player when you actually go for them?

I was talking to someone at the game yesterday and he said something very interesting. If Steve Gibson wanted to strengthen the squad he easily could have, look at Hull, Burnley etc. There's a reason he did not back Karanka this window. Does he not trust AK with the money? Has the recent wobble, and last season's wobble, had anything to do with it?

Well what an absolute shambles. I'm, ultimately, not too upset about any of the 'big four' of Deulofeu, Bojan, Snodgrass or Jese. There were circumstances that came with each that meant they were taken out of our hands.

Jese was obviously the kicker, as Las Palmas really did pull those extra funds from down the back of the sofa when we thought we were his only option.

What annoys me are the likes of Markovic, Brady, even Schlupp - the players that aren't signings that get you ringing up to renew your season ticket, but ones that at least fit the brief of the ONE TYPE OF F**KING PLAYER we actually needed.

Karanka seems to have lost it, but I really hope the fans showing their support for him tonight makes him realise he's onto a pretty good thing here. If he walks now, I'll lose a massive amount of respect for him because he'd be leaving us up the creek. If he's sacked, I'll think that's pretty crappy too, considering he was just venting his frustration yesterday after what was undoubtedly a pretty horrendous couple of days with Jese/Gaston etc.

Orta is a tough one to criticise because as someone (CT?) said, we don't fully know the remits of his job. Even when Karanka was fuming at the recruitment team yesterday, he maintained that Orta was doing a great job. Whether that's because he's his mate, or whether he is doing a great job, I don't want to speculate.

Bauser has got to be on some thin ice. There have been two monumental cock ups in the last year, with Kike's transfer and now Rhodes. Once is an accident, twice is negligence. If it's him signing the cheques and giving the go ahead on signings, it is a huge let down on his part.

The signings themselves? Gestede is quite expensive, but is a decent target man, and if we play to his strengths, even for 10 minutes at the end of games, could win us 6-8 important points. Bamford I think we are hoping will be a risk that pays off. I like the lad but he isn't going to save our bacon. Guedioura I don't know a lot about. He's not what we need, but I assume we have a role in mind for him, so I'll reserve judgement.

Outgoings, pretty much what I expected. No problem with Nugent, Nsue, de Pena etc going out. I hope Rhodes writes an autobiography one day so we can find out what really went on here (from his perspective at least). I think there must be more to it that him not being Karanka's choice (he did actually start most games last season after he signed). Whether there was a personality clash, or whether Karanka just didn't rate him at this level, who knows? For him to not get 15 minutes at the end of some of our games suggests something underlying.

So in summary, I don't think we're weaker, but we aren't stronger. We are going to need Bamford to step up pretty quickly, and Gestede to chip in as well. We need someone to buy Gaston a slice of cake and give him a cuddle and ask him very nicely if he'd like to play football for us some time soon, and we need Karanka to show some humility and have a bit of faith in his squad.

But what it all boils down to is the fact that our survival hopes rest on the shoulders of a 20-year-old. Wonderful.

+ 1 mate, agree with every word.

If this meeting which theinsider mentioned last night is genuine I hope AK doesn't apologise, instead it should be the other way round because if we go down now our failings this window will be what everyone looks back to. Actually, I hope AK gives Bausor a Peggy Mitchell style wallop to the face.

If this meeting which theinsider mentioned last night is genuine I hope AK doesn't apologise, instead it should be the other way round because if we go down now our failings this window will be what everyone looks back to. Actually, I hope AK gives Bausor a Peggy Mitchell style wallop to the face.

^ yup me too!

As much as I normally enjoy your soap opera themed posts KM I don't think I can agree with this one.

If we go down, it won't be just down to this transfer window, should we have strengthened? Yeah we should have. But if we get relegated Karanka will no doubt have to shoulder the blame. I still think even with the squad that we have at present, that we have a better squad than the likes of Sland, Hull, Swansea and Burnley. Burnley are now sitting in 9th, and to purely down to the fact that Dyche has got the best out of his squad. You could argue that Karanka hasn't done that.

As for Gibson having to apologise to Karanka? Don't think so. Yep they could have backed him more in the transfer market but there must have been reasons why things fell through or didn't materialise.

Gibson has spent years doing a fantastic job and has done it by staying out the national limelight (except for the Aliadiere ban incident!) so all this unwanted national negative press isn't gonna go down well with him. If one of my employees was spouting off about me in the press, there would obviously be repercussions, you just can't do it. There's been many times where I would love to have said what I'm really thinking about my boss in public, but woild have resulted in me getting sacked.

In my opinion, even though I agree with what he was saying, it was rank unprofessionalism.

As much as I normally enjoy your soap opera themed posts KM I don't think I can agree with this one.

If we go down, it won't be just down to this transfer window, should we have strengthened? Yeah we should have. But if we get relegated Karanka will no doubt have to shoulder the blame. I still think even with the squad that we have at present, that we have a better squad than the likes of Sland, Hull, Swansea and Burnley. Burnley are now sitting in 9th, and to purely down to the fact that Dyche has got the best out of his squad. You could argue that Karanka hasn't done that.

As for Gibson having to apologise to Karanka? Don't think so. Yep they could have backed him more in the transfer market but there must have been reasons why things fell through or didn't materialise.

Gibson has spent years doing a fantastic job and has done it by staying out the national limelight (except for the Aliadiere ban incident!) so all this unwanted national negative press isn't gonna go down well with him. If one of my employees was spouting off about me in the press, there would obviously be repercussions, you just can't do it. There's been many times where I would love to have said what I'm really thinking about my boss in public, but woild have resulted in me getting sacked.

In my opinion, even though I agree with what he was saying, it was rank unprofessionalism.

I'm not saying if we go down it'll be just down to this window, it'll be a number of factors with this being the one most will talk about. Most of our rivals have strengthened, we should have done the same to give us a better chance of staying up. We've struggled to score goals all season and I really can't see that suddenly changing.

Guedioura is a very good championship player. Not quite a premiership standard though.

He could do very well in flashes but his passing and decision making let him down. That will not matter though if he works hard, scores a couple of thunderbolts and keeps you up. Which with his experience is possibility of what he'll do for you. He's a good guy too and won't mess you about. Sometimes he'll try a 70 yd pass when a simple 10m pass would be the best option and you'll all grumble.

Neither Watford or Palace really gave him a run of games so will be interesting if you do whether he finds some cohesion without trying too hard to impress?

Grosicki to Hull confirmed. See how easy it is to get a decent player when you actually go for them?

I was talking to someone at the game yesterday and he said something very interesting. If Steve Gibson wanted to strengthen the squad he easily could have, look at Hull, Burnley etc. There's a reason he did not back Karanka this window. Does he not trust AK with the money? Has the recent wobble, and last season's wobble, had anything to do with it?

i doubt karanka is trawling to player lists football manager style. i think your onto something, but rather than not backing karanka its more gibson isnt impressed by the scouting team. i imagine gibson feels same as us and karanka. expect an overhaul in the scouting personnel soon eh.

Plot twist;

Rhodes transfer falls through. Aitor immediately decides he's good enough for starting 11. Goes on a mad scoring spree,and beats Jamie Vardy's record for goals in consecutive games.

Nailed on.