oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Las palmas blatantly can't afford him, we might end up getting him by default haha. Just hope if we do he will settle in better than he seems to think he will, he clearly doesn't want to play in England so it's a tough one.

He wants to play for his hometown club, I don't know how you can infer from that, that he doesn't want to play in England?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Las palmas blatantly can't afford him, we might end up getting him by default haha. Just hope if we do he will settle in better than he seems to think he will, he clearly doesn't want to play in England so it's a tough one.

The way I saw it before was a similar situation to Downing when he came back. Most of the press had it as a non-starter due to his wages and how well he'd done there. But Gibson had told him that no matter what he'd be coming back here.

Personally, I'm starting to think that Jese might not be the same. His wages are huge, Las Palmas would only be able to afford 25-30% whereas we could go to 75% if it's only for 4 months

The Villa offered 6 mill for Rhodes with a potential 2 mill if they were promoted, we wanted 9 mill up front with 3 mill of add ons. Villa have not spoken to Rhodes as yet, and are pretty lukewarm about re negotiating, so if this is to happen, which I doubt, then it will go to the wire. I wonder who the other club are who are supposedly interested, or is that a negotiating ploy by us.

We ended up paying £11m for him, it's a bit silly for them to think we'd take a hit when we don't even need to sell him really.  I'd loan him to a midtable champ club if he has to go, keep him sharp for if we do go down.

Sheff Wed are always mentioned, but I don't know if that's just coz his dad's there and he's been to watch a few of there games.

The way I saw it before was a similar situation to Downing when he came back. Most of the press had it as a non-starter due to his wages and how well he'd done there. But Gibson had told him that no matter what he'd be coming back here.

Personally, I'm starting to think that Jese might not be the same. His wages are huge, Las Palmas would only be able to afford 25-30% whereas we could go to 75% if it's only for 4 months

From what I've seen our deal with psg is agreed so wether we can offer to pay more of his wages won't make much difference. Psg can only supplement half his wages so if las palmas find a way to pay for the other half he will be off like a shot wether we offer 70% or 100%.

Aye, there's a massive difference between Downings situation where between the two parties it could be made to work with regards to wages and this situation where PSG can only pay 50% due to UEFA rules and Las Palmas aren't even close to matching that.

From what I've seen our deal with psg is agreed so wether we can offer to pay more of his wages won't make much difference. Psg can only supplement half his wages so if las palmas find a way to pay for the other half he will be off like a shot wether we offer 70% or 100%.

But the point is that Las Palmas can't afford to pay half, and who's to say that PSG don't actually want more of his wages covering than 50%? Just because that's the max doesn't mean they want to pay it.

Also wasn't there speculation about our move for Jesé being permanent? If so that'd be much more preferable to PSG. At that point the % of wages each clubs could match becomes very important as I highly doubt Jesé is going to drop 70%+ of his wages.

Sport Witness have got an article about Jese and the tax issues, they reckon that the local Las Palmas press are deliberately coming up with issues so that if the deal fails it gives the club an excuse or something to blame it on.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/tax-issues-drive-middlesbrough-target-arms-aitor-karanka/

"The press local to Las Palmas keep relaying that Jese Rodriguez wants to join the club, but keep throwing obstacles in the way of a deal, as though to give Las Palmas a reason to fail.

Canarias7 have now said Spanish taxes are a reason which may drive Jese to Middlesbrough and the welcoming arms of Aitor Karanka."

"There is no further explanation from Canarias7 as to what exactly Jese would be paying the tax for. It could be related to the player currently being an ex-pat, and returning to Spain so soon may see the Spanish authorities look at his tax situation whilst with PSG. Or it could simply be that Canarias7 believe Spanish taxes are higher than they’d be if Jese moved to Middlesbrough instead.

It does seem to be scraping the barrel for any excuse, when the underlying reason may be Las Palmas don’t want to part with the money it would take, but don’t really want to tell their supporters that.

Opportunity knocks for Middlesbrough."

You can understand why Jese would be hesitant to come here after he failed to settle in at PSG. His instant reaction is to go back to a place where he thinks that he will feel comfortable so you can't blame him for preferring Las Palmas. Hopefully our Spanish influence can give him confidence to agree to the move and also help him to settle in if he does join.