oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Frankly, I’ll be very relieved when this transfer window is shut and we can just get back to the football.

It would be nice to have a couple of good attacking midfielders but I’m sure we can actually do without them right now.

I hate the January transfer window because, quite honestly, it just disrupts and unsettles the squad. It also unsettles the fans. And the manager, for that matter.

I’m sick and tired of reading through these posts where so many people seem polarized in their thinking: pro-Karanka/anti-Karanka, optimist/pessimist, cup half empty/cup half full, etc.

We are where we are. Get a grip and move on, both as a team and as fans. Adding more players is only going to make it harder (and longer) for new players to slot in. This is not Football Manager.

+500 my Scandinavian brother from another mother :)

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I’ll be very relieved when this transfer window is shut and we can just get back to the football.

It would be nice to have a couple of good attacking midfielders but I’m sure we can actually do without them right now.

I hate the January transfer window because, quite honestly, it just disrupts and unsettles the squad. It also unsettles the fans. And the manager, for that matter.

I’m sick and tired of reading through these posts where so many people seem polarized in their thinking: pro-Karanka/anti-Karanka, optimist/pessimist, cup half empty/cup half full, etc.

We are where we are. Get a grip and move on, both as a team and as fans. Adding more players is only going to make it harder (and longer) for new players to slot in. This is not Football Manager.

Then don't read them mate.

It's a dicussion forum, It's what people do on them. Express their opinions, sometimes debate them.

If it's not your thing, then go off and do something else by all means.

Then don't read them mate.

It's a dicussion forum, It's what people do on them. Express their opinions, sometimes debate them.

If it's not your thing, then go off and do something else by all means.

Please

This is a TRANSFER thread, not a tabloid sensation thread.

No offence

You actually think we can do without anymore new signings? Do you want to get relegated?

Adding more players is only going to make it harder (and longer) for new players to slot in. This is not Football Manager.

So you are saying we should just stick with the signings we have already made? Just be content with Bamford and Gestede?

You actually think we can do without anymore new signings? Do you want to get relegated?

I think this reply is exactly what he is alluding to his original post.

Personally I don't get why some people are so offended at rumours, it's clearly called the transfer rumours thread, if you don't like it don't click it it's really that simple. And if you do click it don't expect anyone to care that you don't believe it till he's holding the shirt up or whatever.

We are in 16th place not in the bottom 3, we can stay up with the squad we have although if we add to it then great.

It's very unusual for a club to sign a player in January that single handedly keeps them up, it's more about the way that the team plays and grinds out results. Unlike the computer game Football Manager, AK has proper contact with the players in training, he can work on systems and come up with solutions to problems. The actual game of football isn't just about who you can bring in, that's the computer version.

I don't think that we will definitely be relegated because we have only managed 2 signings this transfer window, do you?

Yeah, but why can't people discuss whether or not we'll be relegated if we don't make any more transfers... in a transfer thread??

It's kind of relevant.

I don't get why if someone is sick and tired of reading it, that they read it. Surely you just move on?

Anyway. Each to their own.

Yeah, but why can't people discuss whether or not we'll be relegated if we don't make any more transfers... in a transfer thread??

It's kind of relevant.

I don't get why if someone is sick and tired of reading it, that they read it. Surely you just move on?

Anyway. Each to their own.

All I was commenting on the sensationalism of "do you want to get relegated?" Just because he doesn't believe we need anymore signings. That reply is a prime example of what he was saying.

What is more likely to get us relegated? Having 3 or 4 incoming players – relatively unknown quantities who have to adapt to our style of play, which takes time no matter how professional they are - or to fine-tune and optimize the players we have already?

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen time and time again, season after season. Where is the wisdom in a January transfer window, I ask you? At least in the summer, you have time to bed new players in by playing pre-season friendlies. Not so in January – they have to hit the ground running. No time to assess except in practice. Logically, that’s more likely to result in disaster than triumph.

And for those who say ‘why doesn’t he just click on if he doesn’t like it’, I could use the same sort of argument, which is illogical given that this is a forum: ‘if you don’t like what I write, just ignore it, or don’t reply’.

We are in 16th place not in the bottom 3, we can stay up with the squad we have although if we add to it then great.

It's very unusual for a club to sign a player in January that single handedly keeps them up, it's more about the way that the team plays and grinds out results. Unlike the computer game Football Manager, AK has proper contact with the players in training, he can work on systems and come up with solutions to problems. The actual game of football isn't just about who you can bring in, that's the computer version.

I don't think that we will definitely be relegated because we have only managed 2 signings this transfer window, do you?

Billy I agree. (Felt weird writing that).

We can definitely stay up, even if we don't sign any more players.

However, I can see both Swansea and Palace putting a bit of a run together. Less so Sunderland and Hull. If we don't strengthen, and possibly make ourselves just a little bit more potent, offensively ... then I could see our lack of goals costing us.

From the Guardian's transfer liveblog thing:

"The Marco Silva revolution at Hull now involves the pursuit of Leon Bailey, Genk’s Jamaican winger who is 19 and would cost around £10m. Meanwhile Middlesbrough are reluctantly prepared to let their playmaker Gaston Ramirez, apparently unsettled at the club, to leave - if only for the right price - and are contemplating the prospect of having to loan rather than sell Jordan Rhodes as Championship clubs balking at paying his wages and high transfer fee. Aitor Karanka, who brushing off rumours he’d been sacked last night, took training yesterday is still desperate to sign Robert Snodgrass from Hull and also wants Stoke’s Bojan. Karanka is expected to use Thursday’s weekly press conference to apologise to fans for claiming the atmosphere was “awful” during last Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat to West Ham and accusing supporters of demanding the sort of long ball game that makes him shudder. It seems their chants of “Attack, attack,” got lost in translation."

I'm almost certain we will get a player or two. And I'm dead certain if we lose Ramirez we will definately get someone to replace him but my worry would be we could be left with 24 hrs remaining and scrapping round to get a replacement and end up with a panic buy

Then he should get on with it because he hasn't shown that much evidence that he can come up with solutions to any problems really. Our weaknesses now are the same as they were a year ago and a year before that.  Where's the solution?

Just for the record though, a few weeks ago you were quite clear in stating that we couldn't change anything at Southampton because Karanka didn't have any options.  Are we to take it that in your view Gestede and Bamford represent enough options now that we won't have that problem in the future and you won't be using that excuse again?