oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

What is more likely to get us relegated?  Having 3 or 4 incoming players – relatively unknown quantities who have to adapt to our style of play, which takes time no matter how professional they are - or to fine-tune  and optimize the players we have already?

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen time and time again, season after season. Where is the wisdom in a January transfer window, I ask you? At least in the summer, you have time to bed new players in by playing pre-season friendlies. Not so in January – they have to hit the ground running. No time to assess except in practice. Logically, that’s more likely to result in disaster than triumph.

And for those who say ‘why doesn’t he just click on if he doesn’t like it’, I could use the same sort of argument, which is illogical given that this is a forum: ‘if you don’t like what I write, just ignore it, or don’t reply’.

No, doesn't really work both ways mate. I'm here to, and happy to discuss stuff. You were the one who said you were sick of reading it... as if it should be curtailed in some way.

Hence don't read it if you're sick of it.

I'm not sick of it..... so will happily discuss it with you, and make suggestions, rather than ignore it. Even if/ especially if I disagree, as it's a discussion forum.

Cheers.

I said that I was sick and tired of reading posts by people who are polarized in their attitudes, not that I was sick and tired of reading posts altogether. 

And my major gripe is about the January transfer window.

As someone else rightly pointed out, we will speculate about whether certain players are going to be signed till the cows come home, and then, at the very last gasp, Boro will sign someone we've never heard of.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

just putting this up for any thoughts positive or negative,  Liecester are hoping to offload the summer signing Kapustka, during this window,  a young Polish international winger who was getting rave reviews before and during last years Euros,  is he someone we could look at bearing in mind they dont seem to have been too convinced by him, so admittedly some question marks.

I honestly think that signing Snograss would be a great bit of business!

Not only for his quality and PL knowledge but also because I think it would be very beneficial to Traore in training to follow Snodgrass and learn from him

I would say that over Karanka's time in charge our January purchases have been quite successful. Chalobah and Omerou were good in his first year and then Rhodes and Ramirez made a difference that probably got us promoted.

I hope we do buy at least one more (2 if Ramirez goes) this January however I don't think you will see any panic buying from us if we don't acquire our targets. Hopefully it won't come down to that as the squad as it is is a huge gamble considering the amount of money involved in staying up.

It's very unusual for a club to sign a player in January that single handedly keeps them up, it's more about the way that the team plays and grinds out results. Unlike the computer game Football Manager, AK has proper contact with the players in training, he can work on systems and come up with solutions to problems. The actual game of football isn't just about who you can bring in, that's the computer version.

Then he should get on with it because he hasn't shown that much evidence that he can come up with solutions to any problems really. Our weaknesses now are the same as they were a year ago and a year before that.  Where's the solution?

Just for the record though, a few weeks ago you were quite clear in stating that we couldn't change anything at Southampton because Karanka didn't have any options.  Are we to take it that in your view Gestede and Bamford represent enough options now that we won't have that problem in the future and you won't be using that excuse again?

I think at the time we didn't have an awful lot on the bench at Southampton. Negredo and Ramirez were absent and AK's options were pretty thin. I'd like to think that with Ramirez and Negredo on the pitch with two of Bamford, Downing, Stuani, Traore or Fischer in the attacking mid positions that would leave us a few more options on the bench, not to mention Gestede and possibly Forshaw in reserve too.

It's vital that we hang on to Gaston though, as I said before the West Ham match, we didn't have much of a chance without him in the team.

I'd rather buy Bailey than Snodgrass myself he lit up the Europa League group stage and he's younger for the same price but I guess we're set on track for Snodgrass, the longer the Bojan thing drags the more clubs will come in for him that's what I'm worried about especially as we're talking about your possibly weakening our squad in the next 7 days as well as strengthen all it takes is a spanner in the works with 1 target late on while Gaston/Rhodes' heads have been turned and we could be left with a tricky situation Feb 1st.

Frankly, I’ll be very relieved when this transfer window is shut and we can just get back to the football.

It would be nice to have a couple of good attacking midfielders but I’m sure we can actually do without them right now.

I hate the January transfer window because, quite honestly, it just disrupts and unsettles the squad. It also unsettles the fans. And the manager, for that matter.

I’m sick and tired of reading through these posts where so many people seem polarized in their thinking: pro-Karanka/anti-Karanka, optimist/pessimist, cup half empty/cup half full, etc.

We are where we are. Get a grip and move on, both as a team and as fans. Adding more players is only going to make it harder (and longer) for new players to slot in. This is not Football Manager.

You actually think we can do without anymore new signings? Do you want to get relegated?

I think this reply is exactly what he is alluding to his original post.

Yeah, but why can't people discuss whether or not we'll be relegated if we don't make any more transfers... in a transfer thread??

It's kind of relevant.

I don't get why if someone is sick and tired of reading it, that they read it. Surely you just move on?

Anyway. Each to their own.

TRANSFER rumours are good and belongs in this thread.. But Fans vs Karanka, Players mistresses, who got a bad blowjob from a librarian beauty... not so much.. :)

Too much gossip, which doesn't concern transfers.