• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

£15m is deulofeu money so I'd hope he'd have an instant impact, wolves fans do seem to think he's great but take forrestieri for example, brilliant in the championship and not yet made it in the prem.

I've seen Costa a few times and he's a good shout. He's good with both feet, quickish, always forward thinking and links up well/has a good pass on him.

Might just be me, but he reminded me a bit of Redmond when I've seen him play.

Find it a bit strange that snodgrass is still shorter odds to go to west ham than us despite us apparently having put in the larger bid. Also, Jesé still 6/4 to join us while 6/4 to stay at PSG. Think there are still legs in that one too

What is more likely to get us relegated?  Having 3 or 4 incoming players – relatively unknown quantities who have to adapt to our style of play, which takes time no matter how professional they are - or to fine-tune  and optimize the players we have already?

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen time and time again, season after season. Where is the wisdom in a January transfer window, I ask you? At least in the summer, you have time to bed new players in by playing pre-season friendlies. Not so in January – they have to hit the ground running. No time to assess except in practice. Logically, that’s more likely to result in disaster than triumph.

And for those who say ‘why doesn’t he just click on if he doesn’t like it’, I could use the same sort of argument, which is illogical given that this is a forum: ‘if you don’t like what I write, just ignore it, or don’t reply’.

We don't get promoted without acquiring Rhodes and Ramirez in JAN last year though..

Okay, Curtis and Brunners. Looks like we'll have to disagree slightly on this one. Difference between the quick fix and the long haul though. Are we in the quick fix situation already or are we still looking at the long haul? Rhodes was good for the quick fix but clearly not for the long haul.

And if you're looking at the quick fix, why do you sign players on 4 1/2 year contracts? (silly question really).

I would say that over Karanka's time in charge our January purchases have been quite successful. Chalobah and Omerou were good in his first year and then Rhodes and Ramirez made a difference that probably got us promoted.

Uwe fuchs. 13 appearances 9 goals is probably the best example,those goals got us promoted to the prem, can't get my head around anyone who thinks we should stick with what we have got.

What is more likely to get us relegated?  Having 3 or 4 incoming players – relatively unknown quantities who have to adapt to our style of play, which takes time no matter how professional they are - or to fine-tune  and optimize the players we have already?

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen time and time again, season after season. Where is the wisdom in a January transfer window, I ask you? At least in the summer, you have time to bed new players in by playing pre-season friendlies. Not so in January – they have to hit the ground running. No time to assess except in practice. Logically, that’s more likely to result in disaster than triumph.

And for those who say ‘why doesn’t he just click on if he doesn’t like it’, I could use the same sort of argument, which is illogical given that this is a forum: ‘if you don’t like what I write, just ignore it, or don’t reply’.

We don't get promoted without acquiring Rhodes and Ramirez in JAN last year though..

Okay, Curtis and Brunners. Looks like we'll have to disagree slightly on this one. Difference between the quick fix and the long haul though. Are we in the quick fix situation already or are we still looking at the long haul? Rhodes was good for the quick fix but clearly not for the long haul.

And if you're looking at the quick fix, why do you sign players on 4 1/2 year contracts? (silly question really).

Re Rhodes - I would say he was certainly good for the long haul. His goals helped get us promoted. The money in the bank will go towards the clubs financial security for a long time. Looks like we are going to sell him and get back at least 80% of our money we paid for him too. Likewise if we signed a player or two for reasonable prices who were only any good for this season. If it keeps us up it's worth it. Then we can build again next season. But it's not even like that anyway, the players we are looking at could contribute for at least a season or two.

You also sign players on decent length contracts so you cannot be held to ransom when negotiating their sale. Or... you know so you can keep them if they are decent.

I would say that over Karanka's time in charge our January purchases have been quite successful. Chalobah and Omerou were good in his first year and then Rhodes and Ramirez made a difference that probably got us promoted.

Uwe fuchs. 13 appearances 9 goals is probably the best example,those goals got us promoted to the prem, can't get my head around anyone who thinks we should stick with what we have got.

We've already signed two forwards, we aren't sticking with what we had.

Nobody is saying that we shouldn't sign more players, they are saying that we can stay up with what we've got.

It's about signing the right players, not just the ones that are available and that's the tricky thing. It's difficult to recruit in January you tend to be limited to players that other teams are happy to let go half way through a season. I imagine that if at the beginning of this season someone had asked most fans, who shall we sign, Viktor Fischer the FM legend or Robert Snodgrass, the Hull midfielder, most would have gone for the former.