• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The most worrying thing about all this for me isn't so much the comments but the fact he's had to resort to saying what he said.

That says to me that we are out of ideas, there's no deals progressing under the radar, no surprise signings. Usually when asked about a move not happening he's calm and you can tell there's something else going on.

Not this time, I think that's it.

If this is it we may as well just give up. Very disappointing the way this season has panned out. Didn't Humpty say Bausor was on leave this week? :D

Don't know about anyone else but I feel slightly let down by the club. Just want the season to end now.

About as inspiring as David Moyes.

Problem is he came out 2 weeks ago saying we need two wingers. He can't very well now say it's how he wanted it.

All he needs to say is that he is disappointed not to bring in a couple of the players we've tried to sign. However he's confident this group of players are good enough to move us up the table.

It's not rocket science is it? He seems unable to think before he speaks. Sometimes it's better to tell people what they want to hear. There's nothing wrong with telling the players they are all world beaters even when they're not.

I think that's nit picking a little bit. Like I understand what you're saying and that is certainly the optimum situation but he isnt a robot either. I don't know that I'd always say the perfect thing if I was quizzed by journalists every week, especially if I am annoyed by the subject that they're asking me about.

C'mon he's gotta do better than that today, Karanka knows virtually question that's coming before even walks into that press conference.

You've got to use press conferences to send messages out to your players and the fans, that's the whole point. His defeatist attitude isn't helping anyone before tomorrow night.

You don't need a sports psychologist to see that Karanka is not in control of his emotions at the moment, he's a manager in the most famous league in the world I expect him to at least be able to be professional for 15 minutes.

If not for himself at least to gee the fans and players up a bit.

I have a degree in sports psychology.. I wouldn't say Karanka is not in control of his emotions

To be fair, if Karanka is unhappy because we haven't got the people he wanted in then surely that's fair enough.

We've built an infrastructure that in theory allows us to to target players long term and get them in when they become available. All of the players we have been heavily linked with have moved on this window so they were obviously available and as much as it's external factors that have stopped them coming here, why would that not be frustrating for him?

All of us have frustrations in our day jobs when promises from those above us aren't delivered. It doesn't mean we are about to storm out of our jobs.

To be frustrated, or even angry, shows he is passionate about his job and that he cares about the team and the our Premier League status.

Standing up to those above them and getting frustrated about it is surely better than him not being bothered, having no backbone or worse, openly slating them in a press conference.

Karanka is clearly an ambitious man and whether his ultimate goal is to achieve success with us or to make it as a top manager in his own right, he wants the best he can get.

The transfer window so far has been frustrating for us, couple this with some poor league form then it's been the toughest month for the club since he took charge, I genuinely don't understand what people expect from him in a press conference at this time. Even if we are closing in on some players he wouldn't want to risk saying anything in case they too fall through.

It could be worse and he could be giving Moyes-esque press conferences where he's all but resigning himself to relegation or openly admitting a need to sell before buying, or doing an Allardyce where he's talking about making numerous bids every day- now that smells of desperation.

This is so unlike the way our affairs are usually handled, the club very rarely has its dirty laundry aired in the media like this and things must be even worse behind the scenes.

Can't help but think we just need to pray 3 teams are even **** than we are and we can scrape over the line.

The most worrying thing about all this for me isn't so much the comments but the fact he's had to resort to saying what he said.

That says to me that we are out of ideas, there's no deals progressing under the radar, no surprise signings. Usually when asked about a move not happening he's calm and you can tell there's something else going on.

If this is it we may as well just give up. Very disappointing the way this season has panned out. Didn't Humpty say Bausor was on leave this week? :D

Don't know about anyone else but I feel slightly let down by the club. Just want the season to end now.

Same can't see any positives anywhere, it's literally gonna be half a season of us grinding out 0-0s, fans kicking off and just general disappointment /:

Problem is he came out 2 weeks ago saying we need two wingers. He can't very well now say it's how he wanted it.

All he needs to say is that he is disappointed not to bring in a couple of the players we've tried to sign. However he's confident this group of players are good enough to move us up the table.

It's not rocket science is it? He seems unable to think before he speaks. Sometimes it's better to tell people what they want to hear. There's nothing wrong with telling the players they are all world beaters even when they're not.

I think that's nit picking a little bit. Like I understand what you're saying and that is certainly the optimum situation but he isnt a robot either. I don't know that I'd always say the perfect thing if I was quizzed by journalists every week, especially if I am annoyed by the subject that they're asking me about.

C'mon he's gotta do better than that today, Karanka knows virtually question that's coming before even walks into that press conference.

You've got to use press conferences to send messages out to your players and the fans, that's the whole point. His defeatist attitude isn't helping anyone before tomorrow night.

You don't need a sports psychologist to see that Karanka is not in control of his emotions at the moment, he's a manager in the most famous league in the world I expect him to at least be able to be professional for 15 minutes.

I have a degree in sports psychology.. I wouldn't say Karanka is not in control of his emotions

As a Sports Psychologist do you think Karanka is managing the club in the best way possible?

If he is in control what benefit is gained by criticising his own fans? Whether you agree or not he's turned a section of the support against him now.

What message is he sending out to his own team today? That doesn't strike me as a man in control.

'I said I wanted to improve the squad and at the moment we didn't'

A ringing endorsement for Gestede and Bamford right there :)

At least we can drop the pretence that these signings were anything other than squad fillers now if the manager isn't that bothered about them.  He's understandably annoyed and I'm 100% behind him on this.  It's not his job to bring players in and if he's given the club either a list of names or the type of players he wants then he's fulfilled his role and it's up to them to get it done.  Unless he was lying a couple of weeks back he made it clear he wanted pace out wide for example.  Other than Jese, every player we've been linked with doesn't match that basic requirement so there is a clear disconnect between what Karanka appears to want and what the club are finding for him/us.  Add on the fact that I think we dilly-dallied with a few of these players anyway and he's right to be unimpressed.  His comments on Gaston suggest to me that he intends to refuse to sanction any move now but obviously that Gaston still wants out so won't play tomorrow in the hope of still getting his own way.

This.

Everyone on this thread is *** off that we haven't added to the first team yet some are almost offended that our manager thinks/says exactly that? I said it at the start of the window and I'll say it again, how can you place the blame on a manager who doesn't have control of transfers, doesn't seem to have any more influence than our chief scout or CEO? None of them get the pelters when we lose, none of them are under close scrutiny every week from 30,000 people. If I was in AK's position I'd be *** *** off, it's ***.

I've just read through all the posts since the press conference, and I don't think anyone (on here) is knocking AK particularly (or at least particularly badly). As Will says above, everybody around the club is probably a bit disappointed.

However, I would say that AK he has to take SOME of the responsibility.... rather than just saying 'the club knew who I wanted'.

People have been bigging AK up on here saying that we wouldn't have had a sniff at X,Y, Z players without him. However, part of the manager's job within the transfer process can be to convince players to come.

How many signings over the years said that they were convinced by SAF? (A much easier sell, I grant you that, trying to get a player in to Man.U).

Anyway, the point is.... like people get told when they're being negative 'you can't have it both ways'.... then same holds that when you're being positive, 'you can't have it both ways'.

AK is part of the process. (And before anyone gets too sweaty about it, I am not blaming Karanka individually (in fact I'm not blaming anyone)!!

ANYWAY.... I'm also glad that he's focused on the game tomorrow night. It's a biggy, so let's hope we do well.

COME ON BORO !!!

I'm glad AK isn't happy, shows to me he is committed to the cause and only wants to improve the squad, all 4 signing links have gone elsewhere through no fault of his own or the clubs, that's if they ever were true to begin with.

This squad has got us to the position we are in, a position I would more than happy to take at the end of the season. We have Bamford, who I am sure will shine under AK, we only need him to get one or 2 goals that result in wins.

Can't believe I am saying this, but come on, lets back the manager, back the team through to the summer and whatever will be will be UTB

Same can't see any positives anywhere, it's literally gonna be half a season of us grinding out 0-0s, fans kicking off and just general disappointment /:

WTF - you are normally OVER positive LinoJo3. Actually, I think someone has hacked your account.

One positive is that we're in the Premier League!! How about that? Middlesbrough in the PL. Personally I'm loving it.

Flippin' hard, but at least we've got another half a season to try and hold our own.

It's better than having a melt down and having to grind out half a season in the Championship.

[That's for next year] :P

This may come as a major surprise to you, but you do realise that the current team hasn't been in the bottom 3 this season? We may not have strenghtened significantly but neither have the teams below us. Maybe Palace but they've lost their left back so had to strengthen there.

Giving up with 16 games to go and being 4 points above the dropzone is just baffling.

May i ask what grade you achieved :D

As a Sports Psychologist do you think Karanka is managing the club in the best way possible?

If he is in control what benefit is gained by criticising his own fans? Whether you agree or not he's turned a section of the support against him now.

What message is he sending out to his own team today? That doesn't strike me as a man in control.

The criticism of the fans was an attempt to protect his players, so in that respect I think he certainly has the teams best interest at heart. In this regards I think he is managing the club in the best way he can. Negativity from fans can have a massive effect on players and he just wants to deflect this.

The message he is sending out is clear.. He identifies players for the club to target.. Its up to them to pursue them. His focus is rightly the team he had and the match in front of him.

May i ask what grade you achieved :D

Haha you may ask.. I achieved a 2.2.. Make of that what you will

The criticism of the fans was an attempt to protect his players, so in that respect I think he certainly has the teams best interest at heart. In this regards I think he is managing the club in the best way he can. Negativity from fans can have a massive effect on players and he just wants to deflect this.

The message he is sending out is clear.. He identifies players for the club to target.. Its up to them to pursue them. His focus is rightly the team he had and the match in front of him.

Wouldn't it be in the team's best interest to have the fans on side? The fans will be on the teams back quicker than ever tomorrow night if we don't start well.

He's saying today that Bamford and Gestede haven't strengthened his squad, and he doesn't know if he's got enough to keep us up. Hardly a ringing endorsement is it.