oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

People wondering where the money has gone?

Negredo - wages and fees

Valdes won't be cheap

Stadium improvemnets

Promotion - wages increase

New contracts for a number of players

Money we owed for signings made in the Championship

Summer signings

January signings

People think we're made of money now, will only really apply if we STAY in the Premier League. Can't really blame Gibson for not gambling if he doesn't know what division we're going to be in next season.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm Gibson has alot to answer for here, where has all this TV money gone?

If you still don't believe that Gibson is doing his absolute best for the club after everything he's done over the years (including eroding his fortune to bring us success year after year) then you have lost it.

His actions over the last year or so have been a bit weird. he definitely promised full investment of the TV money and that has clearly just been an outright lie.

He's purchased at least two players that Karanka didn't want (that we know of) in Downing and Rhodes, I don't remember him doing that before either (although maybe he did when I was younger or didn't read so much). 

Pretty odd behaviour.

The one thing that still baffles me is the money we spent on de Roon. It was a huge amount when you consider what other players could have been available around that amount. After that signing I thought we would probably break our transfer record. I really felt we were 2 astute signings from being quite a solid premier league team.

This window is a huge gamble especially with the fact we haven't addressed the areas that desperately needed strengthening.

Selling Rhodes makes zero sense now if we are not buying anyone, surely you'd loan him out and then re-assess things in the summer?

I guess it gets his wages off the books, not much point paying him if he's not going to play.

If he goes, I would wager that means AK is going nowhere.

Let's lay out the positives as it stands with about 5 hours to go:

We've replaced two strikers Karanka clearly didn't want to use unless he had absolutely no choice with two players he is willing to use even if he doesn't seem to rate at least one of them!

We haven't sold Ramirez.

It looks like we're about to add Guedioura so we have added another midfielder at least.

17:54

OWLS AGREE RHODES FEE

Sheffield Wednesday have agreed a fee with Middlesbrough,  thought to be in the region of £10m, for striker Jordan Rhodes.

We understand the player is undergoing a medical in Sheffield right now.

hopefully,they will treat him better than he was treat at boro,good luck to the lad

We have Victor Orta and connections with a super agent and the 2 known 'contingency' targets we went for in the past 3 days is Tom Cairney and Townsend not to mention getting involved in a tussle for Snodgrass for most of the month against a London team safe from relegation with an Olympic stadium. I'm not saying British players are bad but the fact that's the limit of our imagination tells us something, problem with the earlier comment about us looking to our youth setup is we sold our best young player, an 18 year old striker, today for 1 million euros.

Don't worry come the summer we'll sign someone and the Gazette will purr about him being a long term target and how patient/persistent we've been in chasing him whilst our first team squad has less wide options than Hull and that will end up being our downfall.

But hey it's ok the teams we've beaten so far by 1 goal or drew with haven't strengthened much either so we'll still be ok, none of those arguments appeal to me personally people will no doubt argue keeping Gaston is key etc but we turned down serious money for a player we signed on a free and whose head has been turned badly that is not a 'positive' to me I hope I'm wrong I really do.

Let's lay out the positives as it stands with about 5 hours to go:

We've replaced two strikers Karanka clearly didn't want to use unless he had absolutely no choice with two players he is willing to use even if he doesn't seem to rate at least one of them!

We haven't sold Ramirez.

It looks like we're about to add Guedioura so we have added another midfielder at least.

Plus, it looks like we've finally managed to sell Rhodes for a decent fee.

Even though we are putting our foot down with regards to ramirez, is he going to be any use in the 2nd half of the season? He doesn't strike me as the "getting his head down" type of lad. I guess the hope for me is that he wants to play his way into a better transfer in the summer!

so if he's going who's coming in? on the one in one out rule must be guediora(sp)

The two strikers we've already signed?  We've sold two and bought two.

I still think we're looking at somebody else though, I just can't believe we're not.

17:54

OWLS AGREE RHODES FEE

Sheffield Wednesday have agreed a fee with Middlesbrough,  thought to be in the region of £10m, for striker Jordan Rhodes.

We understand the player is undergoing a medical in Sheffield right now.

hopefully,they will treat him better than he was treat at boro,good luck to the lad

Totally agree BN, will be gutted personally if he leaves and the only signing we make is that doyle from watford..... Cant make any sense whatsoever of it  :huh:

so if he's going who's coming in? on the one in one out rule must be guediora(sp)

The two strikers we've already signed?  We've sold two and bought two.

I still think we're looking at somebody else though, I just can't believe we're not.

It would be amazing if we aren't at least trying and have just accepted defeat already. But at the moment almost everything does point towards that being the case. Still, who knows.

hmmm Gibson has alot to answer for here, where has all this TV money gone?

The bloke who's backed us out his own pocket for years and saved us from liquidation?

I think SG has been let down just as badly as AK has by the recruitment team.