oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

Saying he has underachieved is just as wrong as claiming he is overachieving. He has done everything asked of him and we have yet to be in the bottom 3. But I suppose it's all about expectations. If you expected him to get promotion by a bigger margin - which is still just promotion, or promotion a year earlier, and mid table this season then I can see why you think he has underachieved. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I think he has been on par with what I expected. Challenge first full season, promotion second season and then survival this season.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just putting in bold the thing that sticks out to me.

Saved us from relegation?  We were 16th in the Championship when Mowbray was sacked on the 21st October.  He was sacked due to the collapse of the previous season and the poor start in that campaign, but are you seriously suggesting we were relegation candidates?

We had won 2 of our first 12 games that season, the point at which Mowbray was sacked. We had won the same number after 12 games this season. If we are relegation candidates now, we were then.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

A newly promoted team in the Premier League are always going to be relegation candidates.  A seriously underachieving team in the Championship that are 4 points clear of the drop zone in October can't seriously be considered relegation candidates - especially when the game following Mowbray's sacking we stuffed Doncaster 4-0 at the Riverside with Venus in charge.

Just suggests to me that the players had stopped playing for Mowbray.  A change was needed for certain, but saying AK saved us from relegation is frankly ***.

Saved us from relegation?  We were 16th in the Championship when Mowbray was sacked on the 21st October.  He was sacked due to the collapse of the previous season and the poor start in that campaign, but are you seriously suggesting we were relegation candidates?

We had won 2 of our first 12 games that season, the point at which Mowbray was sacked. We had won the same number after 12 games this season. If we are relegation candidates now, we were then.

Not really sure about that. For a start there is a different amount of games and teams in the PL / Championship. So comparing like for like isn't exactly the same. 12 games in the PL is getting towards a third of the way into the season where as in the Championship it's only a quarter. Teams can easily be slow starters and jump up the table with so many games to go.

Secondly, I'd argue we had a poor start to the season and were in a rut that Mowbray couldn't get out of. The team were a lot better than the position we were in as proved by the fact he had two half-seasons challenging at the right end of the table. The backbone of the team were signed by Mowbray - Dimi, Friend, Adomah (plus Ayala was available from the beginning) etc. This season we are down towards the bottom because we are relegation candidates.

And unreleated point - but why do you look down at FMTTM so much? Every couple of days you knock FMTTM as though you are somewhat better than the site. Yet I see the same sort of comments on here as on there. The only difference is that this site has a lot less users and active topics so proportionately doesn't have as many stupid posts. I really don't get why you always look down on fellow Boro fans so much as though you are much better than them.

Not really sure about that. For a start there is a different amount of games and teams in the PL / Championship. So comparing like for like isn't exactly the same. 12 games in the PL is getting towards a third of the way into the season where as in the Championship it's only a quarter. Teams can easily be slow starters and jump up the table with so many games to go.

Secondly, I'd argue we had a poor start to the season and were in a rut that Mowbray couldn't get out of. The team were a lot better than the position we were in as proved by the fact he had two half-seasons challenging at the right end of the table. This season we are down towards the bottom because we are relegation candidates.

And unreleated point - but why do you look down at FMTTM so much? Every couple of days you knock FMTTM as though you are somewhat better than the site. Yet I see the same sort of comments on here as on there. The only difference is that this site has a lot less users and active topics so proportionately doesn't have as many stupid posts. I really don't get why you always look down on fellow Boro fans so much as though you are much better than them.

Surely regardless of the size or number of topics the number of stupid posts should be proportionately the same? :D

I don't agree. I think Karanka has underachieved in every season he's been here. I don't have time to type a full response though i'm afraid.

If you think he underachieved in every season hes been here thats your opinion, but go back to his first season here when we were near the bottom of the table in the championship when mowbray got sacked when karanka came in he brought us up to 12th place in the table if memory serves me well. If you call a guy that saves you from relegation and brings you up to mid table respectability underachieving i dont get it and many on here wont either. 

The other thing is i hate burnley but even i recognise the strong and hard working side they had last season, would of been hard for any championship team to beat to the title so us finishing second id argue wasn't a underachievement. 

Now the arguement about the season we got in the playoffs will rumble on forever because i think we should have got automatic that season and should have done a better job in the playoff final but at the end of the day theirs no shame in finishing the runner up in the playoff final. Thinking about it also gave us the money to start the big automatic push next season so at least he progressed the club forward.

This season id agree he is underachieving i think thats because hes stubborn and hes trying to take on the media, fans and chairmen he will lose his job if he continues to take on everyone.

Why the debate and the general dislike of the manager? I could write a lengthy piece but why can you and others just not enjoy the ups and downs of the season, for my take the manger is alright and doing his best, he is not perfect when it comes to the media but hey ho. Come on just try and be positive and back the club and him.

Well, Tony, since you ask, one of the main reasons is that this site is set up so that users are all individuals. The IP address and login details are monitored by DS and the owner, who ensure that people aren't creating spam accounts or logging in as separate users. FMTTM has no such system in place, and so several people on there have more than one active account.

In addition, this forum is moderated. Some feel extensively so, and that's occasionally a fair opinion. But having it moderated the way that it is means that members very rarely get away with personal insults towards another poster, and doing so results in a warning. Again, this doesn't really exist on FMTTM, and the mods on there appear to be much more lenient towards personal insults being thrown at other members. Which is fine, if that's what you like, but I think debate (even heated ones, which we have had on here) can be had without it descending into name-calling, and I personally prefer it that way, as I'm sure many others do.

As for the point you made about all the topics on there, that is another point - several topics are started on the same issue at any one time, and then the threads are often hijacked by someone who wants to berate someone else's political stance.

As for your last point, I wasn't going to respond because I think it's baseless, but seeing as I'm here: In what way am I looking down on fellow fans? Several people who post on here also go on there, and that is not a problem at all. I have no issues with any of the people who use it to talk about football, TV, politics or whatever, whether it's positive or not. It's the people who create 'characters', or go on to have digs at other people that ruin it for me.

But again, this is personal opinion. Just because I don't care for something doesn't give you the right to accuse me of 'thinking I'm better than it'. I don't like rugby or Eastenders either, but that doesn't mean I think I'm superior to those that do.

If you'd like to discuss it further, send me a PM.

I don't agree. I think Karanka has underachieved in every season he's been here. I don't have time to type a full response though i'm afraid.

If you think he underachieved in every season hes been here thats your opinion, but go back to his first season here when we were near the bottom of the table in the championship when mowbray got sacked when karanka came in he brought us up to 12th place in the table if memory serves me well. If you call a guy that saves you from relegation and brings you up to mid table respectability underachieving i dont get it and many on here wont either. 

The other thing is i hate burnley but even i recognise the strong and hard working side they had last season, would of been hard for any championship team to beat to the title so us finishing second id argue wasn't a underachievement. 

Now the arguement about the season we got in the playoffs will rumble on forever because i think we should have got automatic that season and should have done a better job in the playoff final but at the end of the day theirs no shame in finishing the runner up in the playoff final. Thinking about it also gave us the money to start the big automatic push next season so at least he progressed the club forward.

This season id agree he is underachieving i think thats because hes stubborn and hes trying to take on the media, fans and chairmen he will lose his job if he continues to take on everyone.

Why the debate and the general dislike of the manager? I could write a lengthy piece but why can you and others just not enjoy the ups and downs of the season, for my take the manger is alright and doing his best, he is not perfect when it comes to the media but hey ho. Come on just try and be positive and back the club and him.

Firstly, I haven't stated that I dislike Karanka anywhere.  I questioned somebody's statement that he had saved us from relegation in his first season in charge.

The debate is because this is an internet forum, where posters get to air different opinions and, you know, debate things.

I think AK has been let down in the transfer window, but this season reminds me a lot of last time we went down (22 points from 24 games in 2008/9, 21 points from 23 this time around).  Our run in couldn't be much more difficult, so it's a bit difficult to be positive.

This is an internet message board forum. Users debate and discuss hot topics of conversation. There is no dislike of the manager, it's a discussion of his performance. We do the same for the players so what's the difference?

Let's hope the new guy Guediora can improve our current set pieces, which are non existent without Ramirez. Forshaw and Clayton shouldn't be allowed to kick a ball unless it was a short pass... or a tap in.... :)