oneBoro Forum

Boro v Southampton (A) 0-1

Had a great day yesterday.  Game was ***, result was ***, tactics were ***. Great day meeting up with so many forums members on my birthday.  Memories of the game were a little hazy and have a vague memory of bear hugging/ rugby tackling an 8ft snowman outside the ground.  Cheers for the beers guys. Had a wonderful birthday and thanks to Alan for the travel! !!!

The tactics were fine. No one complained when the same tactics got us draws with ***nal and City away from home. Tactics stayed exactly the same.

The tactics were not fine. Southampton were a team around us in the table and just come from being beaten 3-0 by Palace and drawing to an Israeli pub team at home. We shouldn't have been content keeping them at arms length like we did at ***nal and City who are both fighting for the title. There was no reason not to have a go at them.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Had a great day yesterday.  Game was ***, result was ***, tactics were ***. Great day meeting up with so many forums members on my birthday.  Memories of the game were a little hazy and have a vague memory of bear hugging/ rugby tackling an 8ft snowman outside the ground.  Cheers for the beers guys. Had a wonderful birthday and thanks to Alan for the travel! !!!

The tactics were fine. No one complained when the same tactics got us draws with ***nal and City away from home. Tactics stayed exactly the same.

The tactics were not fine. Southampton were a team around us in the table and just come from being beaten 3-0 by Palace and drawing to an Israeli pub team at home. We shouldn't have been content keeping them at arms length like we did at ***nal and City who are both fighting for the title. There was no reason not to have a go at them.

The players could have had a go at them, we were essentially playing 3 strikers upfront.

/\

This.

For the record, I also have nothing against people coming on here and criticising the manager, I spent most of my time doing just that in the dark days of the Mowbray era. That's what internet forums are for.

I just thought that the crowd having a go at AK during the game was counter productive. It unsettles the players and ultimately forces AK to act defensively in the post match press conference.

Let's face it, AK wasn't going to take any notice of a section of angry blokes shouting at him from the stands and neither should he.

The players could have had a go at them, we were essentially playing 3 strikers upfront.

So who was supplying these three strikers?

/\

This.

For the record, I also have nothing against people coming on here and criticising the manager, I spent most of my time doing just that in the dark days of the Mowbray era. That's what internet forums are for.

I just thought that the crowd having a go at AK during the game was counter productive. It unsettles the players and ultimately forces AK to act defensively in the post match press conference.

Let's face it, AK wasn't going to take any notice of a section of angry blokes shouting at him from the stands and neither should he.

Yeah but the difference is that you will barely accept a bad word being said about Karanka.  After the bust up last season you said you'd rather we didn't get promoted if he wasn't our manager.  Like it or not that says everything about your point of view mate.

The crowd having a go at him was entirely justified and good to see quite honestly.  No idea why people think Karanka should get different treatment to every other manager we've had but unfortunately people like you seem to believe he should.  I imagine it will happen again unless he sorts himself out. 

It was poor on his part and not for the first time either.  He has to develop that part of his own game as he too often lets games pass him by when he needs to be more proactive.  When it's clear something isn't working, as it wasn't on Sunday, then change it and try something else.  At no point in that second half did it look like we would get an equaliser so there was no good reason not to try something different.  In fact we looked happier to conserve the 1-0 scoreline than challenge it hence the "attack, attack, attack" chants from our fans.  To be honest it wasn't much better in the first half either but thankfully Southampton weren't at it themselves.  Karanka got it wrong not because we lost but because he did nothing to try and change the pattern of the game and quite simply that's his job. He failed at it on Sunday.

The tactics were fine. No one complained when the same tactics got us draws with ***nal and City away from home. Tactics stayed exactly the same. The personnel who were on the field to implement those tactics did not and the effort the players put in did not. I only caught the second half and the last 5/10 minutes of the first but as BWS has stated, players just didn't look like they couldn't be bothered much of the game and after the goal went in, that was it.

We didn't employ the same tactics in all three games.  Each was quite different.  Similar formations but not the same tactics.

Same people as usual, Fabio, Forshaw, Barragan and themselves.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this.

Basically I was just thinking how Karanka and the press come out with the line of, 'we always have a week to prepare for the next game' etc. Essentially he is saying that he has a week to set up the team to win a football game. My main point is I would love to know especially from people who watched the game, if they truly believe this?

Do you actually see what Karanka is trying to do in each game? Does he differ it from week to week depending on who we are playing? What do you think they work on in training all week?

Im not bashing Karanka, I think he has done a lot of good for us. But, i find it questionable to see what our play style is sometimes. I know we are defensive first and foremost, but what is our attacking play? What did we do differently against Southampton that we did against Hull? Apart from score?

Same people as usual, Fabio, Forshaw, Barragan and themselves.

Maybe the reason why we didn't create much was because there was such a gap between midfield and the "three strikers" given we were playing with "three strikers" and no attacking midfielders.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this.

Basically I was just thinking how Karanka and the press come out with the line of, 'we always have a week to prepare for the next game' etc. Essentially he is saying that he has a week to set up the team to win a football game. My main point is I would love to know especially from people who watched the game, if they truly believe this?

Do you actually see what Karanka is trying to do in each game? Does he differ it from week to week depending on who we are playing? What do you think they work on in training all week?

Im not bashing Karanka, I think he has done a lot of good for us. But, i find it questionable to see what our play style is sometimes. I know we are defensive first and foremost, but what is our attacking play? What did we do differently against Southampton that we did against Hull? Apart from score?

Yes clearly he does. The issue is that there never seems to be a plan A when the pre-prepared Plan A doesn't work.

/\

This.

Yeah but the difference is that you will barely accept a bad word being said about Karanka.  After the bust up last season you said you'd rather we didn't get promoted if he wasn't our manager.  Like it or not that says everything about your point of view mate.

The crowd having a go at him was entirely justified and good to see quite honestly.  No idea why people think Karanka should get different treatment to every other manager we've had but unfortunately people like you seem to believe he should.  I imagine it will happen again unless he sorts himself out. 

It was poor on his part and not for the first time either.  He has to develop that part of his own game as he too often lets games pass him by when he needs to be more proactive.  When it's clear something isn't working, as it wasn't on Sunday, then change it and try something else.  At no point in that second half did it look like we would get an equaliser so there was no good reason not to try something different.  In fact we looked happier to conserve the 1-0 scoreline than challenge it hence the "attack, attack, attack" chants from our fans.  To be honest it wasn't much better in the first half either but thankfully Southampton weren't at it themselves.  Karanka got it wrong not because we lost but because he did nothing to try and change the pattern of the game and quite simply that's his job. He failed at it on Sunday.

That's an interesting interpretation of my responses to last seasons bust up.

At the time I was one of the few who stood up for Karanka whilst everyone else wanted to replace him with Nigel Pearson.

I liked the way that AK and Gibbo had restructured the club, the new back room staff, the players that we'd signed, the way the club had progressed since the days of Strachan and Mowbray.

I didn't want Gibbo to rip everything up and start again, I still believed that AK was the man to get us promoted and that Pearson was a bit of a lose canon who would do more harm than good. I wanted us to stick with AK and if that meant that we didn't go up then I thought that long term it was worth the gamble, we'd continue to develop and go up the season after.

I wanted what was best for the club and it didn't turn out that bad did it?

I know that you think that most of our players are rubbish and that our manager isn't up to managing, it must be very difficult for you to support a club when you don't actually like anything about it apart from it's geographical location, but fair play to you, somehow you manage.

/\

This.

At the time I was one of the few who stood up for Karanka whilst everyone else wanted to replace him with Nigel Pearson.

That's not quite how i remember it but carry on...

I liked the way that AK and Gibbo had restructured the club, the new back room staff, the players that we'd signed, the way the club had progressed since the days of Strachan and Mowbray.

I didn't want Gibbo to rip everything up and start again, I still believed that AK was the man to get us promoted and that Pearson was a bit of a lose canon who would do more harm than good. I wanted us to stick with AK and if that meant that we didn't go up then I thought that long term it was worth the gamble, we'd continue to develop and go up the season after.

I wanted what was best for the club and it didn't turn out that bad did it?

I know that you think that most of our players are rubbish and that our manager isn't up to managing, it must be very difficult for you to support a club when you don't actually like anything about it apart from it's geographical location, but fair play to you, somehow you manage.

It's not an interpretation of your response, it's exactly what you said.  You made it clear you'd rather we didn't get promoted if Karanka ended up leaving.  No interpretation needed.

You weren't one of the few who stood up for him.  Loads of people did and indeed there was a bit of a witch-hunt on here going after various players who were believed to be involved.  It was quite clear that most people sided with Karanka albeit nobody was too sure what exactly had happened.

Standing up for the guy is one thing.  Stating that you didn't want to get promoted if he left is something completely different and I'd argue that isn't wanting the best for the club.  I wanted us to get promoted regardless of who the manager was and that is/was the difference between us.

That final comment is merely an attempt to turn this on me and is beneath you.  That's another difference between us it seems as I don't make up stuff to discredit people.  You know what you said at the time as do I.  Your comments on this game simply back up things you've already said.  You will back Karanka regardless of the situation even when it's pretty obvious that he was lacking this time. People calling for his head on the back of it are being a bit daft, people expecting our manager to his job are not.

Isn't that the beauty of football. Karanka wants to remain solid and try and nick a goal even when one down others want a more gung ho version where we go for it when down

But no one can say what's right or wrong if we'd gone for it earlier we may have won or lost by a lot more. We'll never know

What we know for sure is that what we did try did not work and we didn't make much of an attempt to change it. I don't mind that we lost, I mind that we didn't really try to win or at least draw once we were behind. I suspect that's exactly why a lot of people were annoyed.