oneBoro Forum

Boro v Burnley (A) 0-1

[align=center]225x225http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/sjcAAOSw44BYF5PK/s-l225.jpg[/img]      V  225x223http://www.heartfootball.com/img/p/200734-85738-thickbox.jpg[/img]

[align=left]Well, well, well.....

Coming off the back of an excellent three nil result at home against Swansea. Boro go to Turf Moor on Boxing day for a fixture that promises to be a right Christmas cra.... No, I won't do it. No Christmas theme, puns, or any other type of festive themed bull***e from me sorry. Without sounding too much like the Grinch; It's all a bit over the top isn't it? Buying crap no one needs, with money we don't have, for people we don't really care about. Having said that 3 points against this lot would be a present I think we all could cherish. So........

The Opposition

I really should like Burnley as they are one of the fellow little guys trying to punch above their weight like us. However, Sean Dyche makes it really, really difficult to do so and beating his team would make the three points all the sweeter. Honestly the the chip on the guys shoulder would choke a ***ing seagull. Anyway I digress. Burnley made a solid start to life in the Premier League but are now struggling for form, having won one in their last 5 and lost the remaining 4. The solitary win came against Bournemouth at home. Burnley sit two places below us in 16th with one point less. But they do have a goal difference that is nine worse than ours. This probably makes Aitor Karanka semi erect.

Burnley are quite flexible on how they set up. Sometimes going with one up top, sometimes two.  They have used 442, 451, 4231 and a 4411. However, almost counter intuitively (imo) they have recently used two up top in away games and played one up top in the home games. Their last win, as previously mentioned, against Bournemouth they played one up top at home. So I expect them to go with this. With Vokes being the man to lead the line. But from what I have seen of Burnley no matter how they set up formation wise, they do tend to play the same style. Work hard, be compact, counter attack, long balls, balls into the box, typical meat and two veg old skool English football really. They do tend to like a pop from outside the box too. Oh yeah their goalkeeper is excellent. But you knew that already. They are not in bad shape injury wise with only Gudmundsson out injured, but even he could make the bench.

They will be seeing this and their game after against Sunderland at home as very winnable and can see them trying to have a real go.

Burnley By Numbers

Possession Average - 41%

Pass Success % - 69%

Aerial Duels won per game - 21.7

Shots conceded per game - 20.2

Tackles per game - 15.2

Fouls per game - 11

Interceptions per game - 16.6

Shots per game - 9.2

Shots on target per game - 2.8

Dribbles Completed per game -4.5

Fouls won per game - 10.4

Offsides per game - 2.9

Boro By Numbers

Possession Average - 48%

Pass Success % - 79%

Aerial Duels won per game - 18.8

Shots conceded per game - 13.8

Tackles per game - 20.8

Fouls per game - 11.9

Interceptions per game - 16

Shots per game - 9.2

Shots on target per game - 2.6

Dribbles Completed per game - 9.9

Fouls won per game - 10.1

Offsides per game - 1.4

Match Odds

Burnley 19/10

Draw 21/10

Boro 17/10

My Prediction

We are going to do these. It won't be pretty and it won't be by a big score. But we are going to grind out a win and we will keep another clean sheet. So I will go one nil with Negredo to carry on scoring. As far as the team goes, it probably picks itself but I wouldn't mind seeing Fabio right back and Friend left back.

So there you go ladies and gents, another no frills match day thread by CurtisFleming. What are your thoughts on the game?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDGkRm1RCs5aJTHWy8M2XV7cPD61a1APF-Jxn45Yfu_rAKuvsa

[/align]

[/align]

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a regular or big poster but yesterday felt like a watershed moment in some ways, so here I go...   We kept the ball well for long spells in the second half, albeit without opening them up a singl

Dear CF,

Would love you to be in Charge of the Man United thread too...    :D

Merry Crimbo,   xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo   ;)

Got a feeling Burnley will win this one. All 5 of their wins so far have been at home. That's 5 wins and 1 draw in 9 home games so far. Their big problem has been their away form, where they've only managed 1 point out of a possible 24.

A win here would be massive though. Put a 4 point gap between ourselves and Dyche's men, push them towards the relegation zone. I think Sunderland and Hull at the very least should drop all points available to them this weekend and hopefully Swansea do the same (going by the weekend just gone, West Ham should beat them however they play). So it could put quite a significant gap between ourselves and the drop zone.

Dear CF,

Would love you to be in Charge of the Man United thread too...    :D

Merry Crimbo,   xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo   ;)

Me too, me bloody too.

I think we might have that bit of extra motivation/ambition to win this one. unlike Southampton where we seemed not interested in attacking for most of the game. even thought we probably would have won if we showed more ambition.

Burnley have such a bad away record i reckon the pressure of winning the home games will start to tell and they will have a tough patch at home. hopefully starting 26th.

we've been poor in many games this season and we really should have more points than we actually have. losing at burnley would be another poor result. we need to cut out these flat sort of performances if we want to pull clear of the bottom pack.

they might have a good home record but thats against teams who are not used to the SD style. we know all about them and will be the better side on the day i reckon. the class will shine through from gaston and negredo. 0-2 boro.

i hope we do play fabio right and george left. i 've been getting a bit sick of barragan, hes not showing the same desire as his team mates. hes our weak link in defence and our weak link in possession. gives the ball away more than anyone else and has several mistakes every game. hes not terrible by any means compared to what we've had since relegation but he is still an obvious weak link for me. fabio is an upgrade and even with stuani infront of him we might still have a threat on the right. well compared to barragan stuani. that must been the leak attacking right side in the league.

Just how nice would it be to win this one? If I had a choice I'd much rather win this one than the United game. A win here will have a massive significance to our position at the bottom and would really propel us away. We have a squad capable of beating Burnley at their own ground. I appreciate that Burnley are really good at home but I just hope AK urges the team on to attack these because we can beat them.

Downing to come in for Fischer is the obvious choice, but it could also be Traore to start, but in a game like this I'm sure AK will pick Downing over Traore to add a bit of calm experience to the side. It's difficult to name the defence though. You'd expect Friend to be back in if he is 100% fit, but Fabio has been really good, and is AK ready to push Fabio onto the right an play him in a bit of unfamiliar position? My guess is Fabio starts this one on the left but is being given a chance on the right in the United game, as there won't be a huge pressure on us to get something from that game.

Burnley are really good at home but largely they have played teams that come at them and attack from the off. We aren't going to do that, our game will be more like an away game for them in terms of tactics, which could be interesting as they've been utterly *** away from home.

There's no reason why we can't go to Burnley and win. Last season everyone was expecting us to get beat there. We played really well and they equalized in the last minute to come away with a very fortunate point, which stopped us being champions and making a nervy end of season for us.

We deserved the win at their place last season and I think we will go one better this time.

Boro win for me

Did we though? I seem to recall Burnley being the better team by quite a distance and really ramping the pressure up on us in the second half. First half was 50/50.

I believe we'll win on Boxing Day, I think we're better than Burnley in every area of the pitch now (albeit marginally). We've scored more than them, conceded less and tend to pass and keep the ball better than them.

0-2 Boro. Negredo & Forshaw.

We deserved the win at their place last season and I think we will go one better this time.

Boro win for me

Did we though? I seem to recall Burnley being the better team by quite a distance and really ramping the pressure up on us in the second half. First half was 50/50.

I believe we'll win on Boxing Day, I think we're better than Burnley in every area of the pitch now (albeit marginally). We've scored more than them, conceded less and tend to pass and keep the ball better than them.

0-2 Boro. Negredo & Forshaw.

FWIW, I thought we (Burnley) were a bit lucky to get the point; we were on top the last 20 minutes or so, but then you'd expect that at a goal down at home.  

But to answer an earlier poster, that wasn't the sole reason we beat you to the Championship; we got 93 points, you 89.  We could have failed to score both last minute equalisers against you and at Brighton, and still won the league on goal difference (all else being equal).