oneBoro Forum

Boro v Burnley (A) 0-1

We deserved the win at their place last season and I think we will go one better this time.

Boro win for me

Did we though? I seem to recall Burnley being the better team by quite a distance and really ramping the pressure up on us in the second half. First half was 50/50.

I believe we'll win on Boxing Day, I think we're better than Burnley in every area of the pitch now (albeit marginally). We've scored more than them, conceded less and tend to pass and keep the ball better than them.

0-2 Boro. Negredo & Forshaw.

FWIW, I thought we (Burnley) were a bit lucky to get the point; we were on top the last 20 minutes or so, but then you'd expect that at a goal down at home.  

But to answer an earlier poster, that wasn't the sole reason we beat you to the Championship; we got 93 points, you 89.  We could have failed to score both last minute equalisers against you and at Brighton, and still won the league on goal difference (all else being equal).

Welcome back, dsr! How are you feeling about this one?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a regular or big poster but yesterday felt like a watershed moment in some ways, so here I go...   We kept the ball well for long spells in the second half, albeit without opening them up a singl

We deserved the win at their place last season and I think we will go one better this time.

Boro win for me

Did we though? I seem to recall Burnley being the better team by quite a distance and really ramping the pressure up on us in the second half. First half was 50/50.

I believe we'll win on Boxing Day, I think we're better than Burnley in every area of the pitch now (albeit marginally). We've scored more than them, conceded less and tend to pass and keep the ball better than them.

FWIW, I thought we (Burnley) were a bit lucky to get the point; we were on top the last 20 minutes or so, but then you'd expect that at a goal down at home.  

But to answer an earlier poster, that wasn't the sole reason we beat you to the Championship; we got 93 points, you 89.  We could have failed to score both last minute equalisers against you and at Brighton, and still won the league on goal difference (all else being equal).

Hopeful.  I try and avoid our current fans mood swing - elated after home games; depressed after away games.  Away from is improving, even if we're still losing them all.

Boro win for me

Hopeful.  I try and avoid our current fans mood swing - elated after home games; depressed after away games.  Away from is improving, even if we're still losing them all.

Thoughts on resigning Barton out of curiosity?

There seems to be a lot in local media about whether or not we have a rivalry with Burnley.  What are everyone's thoughts on this?

We were rivals for promotion last season, rivals for relegation this season but an actual rivalry is ludicrous. We're on the other side of the country and largely irrelevant to each other outside of the 2(ish) times per season we play each other. It's bizarre for the Gazette to acknowledge let alone publish a story on it because some keyboard warriors, circa age 14, from the 2 clubs chat a bit of ***e to each other. Quite embarrassing really, but then the Gazette has been moving towards sensationalist/clickbait stories for some time now (at least the part of the paper on MFC).

There seems to be a lot in local media about whether or not we have a rivalry with Burnley. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Last season sure as we were direct competitors. This season not so much. If anything we are more similar than different. Just can't bring myself to like Dyche. (But he is a good manager)

Barton - he made a huge difference last season, certainly. We play 4-5-1 at home and have only 3 central midfielders, so certainly need cover; there are better players than Barton to be had, no doubt, but as cover he's a good signing.

My only reservation is that for most of his career he's been a disruptive loose cannon. His Burnley year is definitely an exception. I think most of that is because of Sean Dyche's management style, but I wonder about the difference between being a key member of the team and a player-of-the-year contender, and being a substitute (which I think he will be).

But last year, he took all sorts of stick - it was a regular to see him hacked down in the first 5 minutes - without ever retailiating, he had only 5 bookings all season, he was widely spoken of by other players as a model pro and exactly who they needed in the dressing room - if that player is back, what's not to love?

As for Dyche, he always says that other clubs have more money; usually accurately, because our directors have put perhaps £10m into the club over the last 10 years or so. (If there was one thing to change about him, it might be to stop him saying the same thing at every interview. but then, nobody's perfect. His current bee-in-bonnet is about diving, and I'm 100% with him on that one.)

Barton - he made a huge difference last season, certainly.  We play 4-5-1 at home and have only 3 central midfielders, so certainly need cover; there are better players than Barton to be had, no doubt, but as cover he's a good signing.

My only reservation is that for most of his career he's been a disruptive loose cannon.  His Burnley year is definitely an exception.  I think most of that is because of Sean Dyche's management style, but I wonder about the difference between being a key member of the team and a player-of-the-year contender, and being a substitute (which I think he will be).

But last year, he took all sorts of stick - it was a regular to see him hacked down in the first 5 minutes - without ever retailiating, he had only 5 bookings all season, he was widely spoken of by other players as a model pro and exactly who they needed in the dressing room - if that player is back, what's not to love?

As for Dyche, he always says that other clubs have more money; usually accurately, because our directors have put perhaps £10m into the club over the last 10 years or so.  (If there was one thing to change about him, it might be to stop him saying the same thing at every interview.  but then, nobody's perfect.  His current bee-in-bonnet is about diving, and I'm 100% with him on that one.)

Barton tends to flit between good and bad. Given what went down at Rangers he'll no doubt be wanting to apply himself more and leave a more positive impression behind as he really doesn't have much time left in his playing career. It helps that Barton respected Dyche & his methods, the 2 must still see eye to eye or he'd not have resigned for you.

On Dyche, my opinion on him at least, he says the same thing at every interview because he seems to be trying to create an 'us' and 'them' type mindset.

In his world he's always hard done by, never acknowledged and constantly overlooked. He's got no money, no friends and definitely voted 'out' in the Brexit vote.

He's a clever man because he uses the mindset to pull him and his players closer together. I get the feeling that players like Mee, Keane, Vokes et al would run through brick walls and crawl fields of broken glass for Dyche.

My problem is purely with Dyche. I don't like Burnley but I don't dislike them. I hate Dyche though.

The whole "I'm seen as a dinosaur" crap he came up with was one of his worst, outspoken rants. And I just don't get it. He obviously understands football. He obviously has a firm belief of how a team should play and should be coached. And it works for him. So why is it when speaking about his beliefs, he has to involve other clubs and other managers? Why mention Conte and Ranieri? Why not just speak about Burnley and what they have achieved rather than try and bring everybody down to his level?

And I could care less how accurate he is about other clubs' finances. At the end of the day, if it bothers him enough about how little he gets to spend then he should move on to a club who would give him the backing from the very top. But instead of that, he mentions it way too often in public as if it's some kind of excuse to fall back on and I can't stand it, especially from a manager who seems to have potential.

Hasn't Burnley spent roughly the same as us this season? Also taking sales into contention. We at least sold Reach and Adomah for over 10 mil combined.

I generally hate managers who use other clubs and managers as examples like dyche does. I know that AK says a lot of things that sound weird or infuriating but at least he sticks to his own club. Dyche is just a walking excuse which I don't really understand because he has done well at Burnley. The only discredit he gets is because of the things he says.

Hasn't Burnley spent roughly the same as us this season? Also taking sales into contention. We at least sold Reach and Adomah for over 10 mil combined.

I generally hate managers who use other clubs and managers as examples like dyche does. I know that AK says a lot of things that sound weird or infuriating but at least he sticks to his own club. Dyche is just a walking excuse which I don't really understand because he has done well at Burnley. The only discredit he gets is because of the things he says.

In terms of net spend there's about 5m in it (assuming we spent 5m on Adama & received 5m for Adomah). That doesn't take into account the loan fees we'll be paying for Negredo and Chambers.

In terms of wages I'd imagine we're vastly over Burnley's. We'll be making significant contribution to Chambers' & Negredo's wages and I'd have thought that Ramirez, De Roon and Valdes are being paid a lot more per week than Hendrick, Defour and Gudmundsson.

Boro win for me

It wasn't about the points in that game as much as deflating us a bit having put everything into that 90 minutes. If we'd have beaten you then I'd have put my house on it for us to be champions. Yes points wise you would been fine but it's all about momentum at that stage of the season.

Barton - he made a huge difference last season, certainly.  We play 4-5-1 at home and have only 3 central midfielders, so certainly need cover; there are better players than Barton to be had, no doubt, but as cover he's a good signing.

My only reservation is that for most of his career he's been a disruptive loose cannon.  His Burnley year is definitely an exception.  I think most of that is because of Sean Dyche's management style, but I wonder about the difference between being a key member of the team and a player-of-the-year contender, and being a substitute (which I think he will be).

As for Dyche, he always says that other clubs have more money; usually accurately, because our directors have put perhaps £10m into the club over the last 10 years or so.  (If there was one thing to change about him, it might be to stop him saying the same thing at every interview.  but then, nobody's perfect.  His current bee-in-bonnet is about diving, and I'm 100% with him on that one.)

Barton tends to flit between good and bad. Given what went down at Rangers he'll no doubt be wanting to apply himself more and leave a more positive impression behind as he really doesn't have much time left in his playing career. It helps that Barton respected Dyche & his methods, the 2 must still see eye to eye or he'd not have resigned for you.

On Dyche, my opinion on him at least, he says the same thing at every interview because he seems to be trying to create an 'us' and 'them' type mindset.

In his world he's always hard done by, never acknowledged and constantly overlooked. He's got no money, no friends and definitely voted 'out' in the Brexit vote.

He's a clever man because he uses the mindset to pull him and his players closer together. I get the feeling that players like Mee, Keane, Vokes et al would run through brick walls and crawl fields of broken glass for Dyche.

Re. that last paragraph, Dyche also seems to have the very useful trick of keeping the reserve players fit and ready to go without using any squad rotation whatsoever.  I've no idea how he does that.

In terms of net spend there's about 5m in it (assuming we spent 5m on Adama & received 5m for Adomah). That doesn't take into account the loan fees we'll be paying for Negredo and Chambers.

In terms of wages I'd imagine we're vastly over Burnley's. We'll be making significant contribution to Chambers' & Negredo's wages and I'd have thought that Ramirez, De Roon and Valdes are being paid a lot more per week than Hendrick, Defour and Gudmundsson.

I think I read somewhere that Burnley have a cap of something silly like 15k a week for their players. Not sure how true it is but I'm sure I've seen that pop up.

Thinking about it though; it's not that Burnley don't have the money, they must have made bank after the yo-yo up-down-up. 

Not really our fault they just don't want to do anything with all their money.