• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Great way to kick off the thread Uwe!

Not expecting any surprises, either in terms of our starting line-up, or the result.

I'm thinking Aitor will be ultra-defensive and go for his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation. Late subs as usual, when its too late for them to make any difference. Should be a comfortable game for Utd, who are on something of a roll with 4 wins on the bounce. they probably won't even have to get out of 2nd gear.

My prediction:

MAN UTD 3 - 0 BORO

If we can't even hold out for a draw against Burnley, we have absolutely zero chance of doing so at Old Trafford.

Or the emirates or the etihad.. Oh wait..

...and what was the score when we played Liverpool?

Not denying we did well to get points against ***nal and City, but that was earlier in the season. I think most teams will have worked us out by now. Plus we are still horribly inconsistent and almost never look really comfortable / in control of matches.

Utd seem to have got over their early-season wobble and unless Jose decides to help his old mate out and play a bunch of youth team players, I really don't see us getting anything from this one.

Of course I will be perfectly happy if I am wrong. ;)

Not expecting any surprises, either in terms of our starting line-up, or the result.

I'm thinking Aitor will be ultra-defensive and go for his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation. Late subs as usual, when its too late for them to make any difference. Should be a comfortable game for Utd, who are on something of a roll with 4 wins on the bounce. they probably won't even have to get out of 2nd gear.

My prediction:

MAN UTD 3 - 0 BORO

If we can't even hold out for a draw against Burnley, we have absolutely zero chance of doing so at Old Trafford.

Not denying we did well to get points against ***nal and City, but that was earlier in the season. I think most teams will have worked us out by now. Plus we are still horribly inconsistent and almost never look really comfortable / in control of matches.

Utd seem to have got over their early-season wobble and unless Jose decides to help his old mate out and play a bunch of youth team players, I really don't see us getting anything from this one.

Well you were wrong weren't you?

You said we had a ZERO chance of getting anything from the game because we couldn't 'even hold out for a draw against Burnley'. Which is *** isn't it? Because the only way we have a ZERO chance is if we do not play the game. I mean even the bookies think we have a chance. It's a 14/1 chance of winning and a 5/1 chance of drawing. So it's slim chance but it's not ZERO is it?

Some vaguely interesting stuff from the BBC's matchday page:

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Manchester United are unbeaten in the last seven league meetings (W4, D3). Their last defeat was a 4-1 loss at the Riverside in October 2005.

However, United were knocked out of the League Cup at Old Trafford in the most recent encounter in October last season. Boro triumphed 3-1 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Middlesbrough's last league win at Old Trafford came in February 2004.

Manchester United

Manchester United could win five league matches in the same month for the first time since December 2012.

They are unbeaten in nine league games, and in their last seven at Old Trafford (W3, D4).

United kept a clean sheet in their final league game of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been involved in 14 Premier League goals this season (12 goals, two assists) - eight more than any other Manchester United player.

Middlesbrough

Boro haven't lost their final league game of a calendar year since 2009 (W4, D2).

Only Hull, with 14 goals, have scored fewer than Middlesbrough's tally of 16 this season.

They also asked a Professor Ian McHale from Salford Uni to give some predictions, using an analytical program he developed called SAM (Sports Analytics Machine). This is what it churned out:

Most probable score: 1-0

Probability of draw: 31%

Probability of home win: 54%

Probability of away win: 15%

My prediction:

MAN UTD 3 - 0 BORO

Well you were wrong weren't you?

You said we had a ZERO chance of getting anything from the game because we couldn't 'even hold out for a draw against Burnley'. Which is *** isn't it? Because the only way we have a ZERO chance is if we do not play the game. I mean even the bookies think we have a chance. It's a 14/1 chance of winning and a 5/1 chance of drawing. So it's slim chance but it's not ZERO is it?

Ever heard of a thing called a figure of speech?  :rolleyes:

If I'd wanted to get into calculating odds, I'd have done a bit of homework first and visited some bookies websites myself.

You're getting very pernicketty in your old age, aren't you?  :P

EDIT:

----------

Just whipped up some new odds from my own analytical program. Results as follows:

Home Win: You Can Bet Your House On It

Draw: If They Get The Rub Of The Green

Away Win: Snowball's Chance In Hell

:)

Quite a few surprises in that lineup. Not confident with chambers as right back and Ramirez dropped. Hope AK knows what he is doing. Definately a cautious lineup with much emphasis on defense but who can blame him. Will be interesting to see Bernardo and Leadbitter for their season debuts.