oneBoro Forum

Relegation Rivals

Palace, Stoke, Hull, Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth, Sunderland, Southampton

8 winnable game. Reckon we can win 6 of them. That should see us sorted.

What makes you think were going to win 6 games in 3 months when we've only won 4 games in 7 months?

Well all 4 of our wins so far this season have been against the four highlighted.

Southampton will probably have nothing to play for by the time we play them. You could argue Bournemouth too. Burnley at home has to be 3 points too.

We just need to better three of the other teams. Palace have a really tough run in. A win against them next week and it's looking better already

Palace are somehow even more of a shambles since Allardici came in too

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

What makes you think were going to win 6 games in 3 months when we've only won 4 games in 7 months?

Well all 4 of our wins so far this season have been against the four highlighted.

Southampton will probably have nothing to play for by the time we play them. You could argue Bournemouth too. Burnley at home has to be 3 points too.

We just need to better three of the other teams. Palace have a really tough run in. A win against them next week and it's looking better already

You have more faith in this team to win games than i do.

What's worried me most over the last few weeks is the now apparent lack of a "cert" to go down. There's genuinely anyone of 3 from 5 teams that can go down which gives everyone that little bit of hope to keep fighting. I would be feeling a lot more optimistic if 1 or 2 of the teams were cast adrift!

Has there been a cert to go down last couple of seasons ? Last season Sunderland and the season before Leicester were the certs

At one point we had Negredo, Nugent, Gestede, Rhodes and Stuani all on our books. I don't see how playing one striker up front is playing to our strengths. I personally think a lot of fingers should be pointed at our inability to score goals and Karanka's insistence on persevering with a formation and system that puts a lot of pressure on the team not to concede and provides very little adventure going forward.

I personally don't see that list of strikers as our strength. Our strength in my eyes is we have a excellent defensive shape coupled with a grafting midfield and a pretty talented back line. So the idea, to me, of trying not to concede and nicking a goal is playing to our current strengths. Unfortunately, you can have all the strikers in the world but they need someone to give them opportunities (as we saw with Lukaku this weekend) and that's what we failed to recruit. To me, all that leaves is playing the way I outlined above.

I'd argue that in the games we've looked the most dangerous going forward this season, we've generally lost due to the sacrifice of our usually solid shape.

Edit: by the way, I also reckon we'd be a few points better off if we were ant good at set pieces!!

You have more faith in this team to win games than i do.

Remind me which are at home; Burnley, Southampton, Sunderland?

Bournemouth is deffo away and their home form is still good generally. Palace is away, which can be tough historically with the atmosphere but not lately it seems. Stoke away. Hull away I think? Can't remember Swansea home or away.

I think if we can win our home games and get draws away that would be respectable, but I don't think that will be easy or even good enough points wise.

Bit grim.

This season I think 35-36 points will be what is needed to survive. I think the one positive we have is our goal difference however as a few have said where are those wins going to come from. Everton on paper was a good point but in reality for me given the way we played could be a massive 2 points dropped.

We seem to play well against teams in form however have little to show for it in terms of points (ie Chelsea, United, ***nal). I think we are now in that business end of the season where we need to be converting the Everton/West Brom draws into wins. There's still plenty of winnable games for us but given how few games we have won this season the question is are we capable of scoring more than one goal in a game which seems to be our biggest problem.

At one point we had Negredo, Nugent, Gestede, Rhodes and Stuani all on our books. I don't see how playing one striker up front is playing to our strengths. I personally think a lot of fingers should be pointed at our inability to score goals and Karanka's insistence on persevering with a formation and system that puts a lot of pressure on the team not to concede and provides very little adventure going forward.

I personally don't see that list of strikers as our strength. Our strength in my eyes is we have a excellent defensive shape coupled with a grafting midfield and a pretty talented back line. So the idea, to me, of trying not to concede and nicking a goal is playing to our current strengths. Unfortunately, you can have all the strikers in the world but they need someone to give them opportunities (as we saw with Lukaku this weekend) and that's what we failed to recruit. To me, all that leaves is playing the way I outlined above.

I'd argue that in the games we've looked the most dangerous going forward this season, we've generally lost due to the sacrifice of our usually solid shape.

Edit: by the way, I also reckon we'd be a few points better off if we were ant good at set pieces!!

You wouldn't see them as a strength because we've never seen them play together. The fact remains that they are all strikers that have thrived at other clubs some shape or form.

If you play with another body upfront, then your style of play changes as a consequence. For example we could implement a more effective pressing game or we could fire more balls directly into the strikers and push midfielders up to win second balls. You're then playing a more territory driven game plan which can still be utilised as a defensive strategy but might create a few more chances. It's fag packet tactics but it demonstrates my point.

The only reason i thought we would stay up this year was due to how bad other teams were, now everyone is picking up wins and we aren't.

Only 1 team out of the bottom 6 won this weekend.

I genuinely think 3 wins and 4/5 draws will be enough this season. 35 points will probably be enough this season with the fixtures everyone has left. If we managed another 4 wins and the draws we'll be comfortably clear.