oneBoro Forum

Also, did any of you genuinely think that this WASN'T going to happen? That we'd be happily up there in 11th or 12th with 30 odd points? If you did then you need more realistic standards. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for Boro, but just because we're in a relegation battle doesn't mean Karanka is doing a bad job.

I can't speak for any other people, but my gripe is with the style of play rather than our league standing. We could easily be in the same position whilst attempting to play real football. If he'd just abandon the disciplined, regimented tactic in certain games (Burnley Away was the biggest example) then we would both A) have more points on the board and B) have more entertaining games.

As someone has said above, today seemed to be a step forward in that regard, but his post-match comments have sort of put us back where we were.

On a separate note that isn't a response to this particular comment, Mowbray spent £1m each season, Karanka inherited some quality players (Friend, Leadbitter, Adomah) then spent £9m & £29m in his two Championship seasons. Frankly it would've been embarrassing if we hadn't been promoted, which we almost weren't.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare the fans demand attacks, when our best game is defense!!!!

:D

Karanka said what he did, but it's frustrating, that so many overreact to it...

2017 the year everybody gets more offended and triggered than the previous record year 2016

I'm not offended by it, I'm simply saying it's completely wrong on every level. It's inaccurate and doesn't reflect either what happened, what we usually do or his own influence on the game today.

Well.... I suppose on reflection (and with the benefit of hindsight), if the crowd had shouted 'Defend, defend, defend defend defend' when we were 2-1 down, and we'd done it, we'd have a slightly better goal difference now!

No wonder AK is cross - LOL.

How dare the fans demand attacks, when our best game is defense!!!!

:D

Karanka said what he did, but it's frustrating, that so many overreact to it...

2017 the year everybody gets more offended and triggered than the previous record year 2016

Im more bothered about the fact he feels the fans forced the long balls even though the statistics show its part of our game plan and his changes forced the issue. But I forgot you think everyone who questions Karanka is dumb and wants Messi and Ronaldo...

Just got back from the game, 500 mile round trip again...

For what it's worth I thought we were ok despite the result. Certainly better than last week against Watford. We certainly look more comfortable as a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 than with wing backs operating. I thought DeRoon did ok this afternoon and for me Clayton linked the play well but it is (I know it has been all season) obvious we lack creativity.

Traore, for me at least, had his best game for us. Look dangerous most times he got it. Tired in the second half and that is what killed us. That and AK throwing 3 on up top in the vague hope that would be the answer? Personally I would have had Alvaro off for Ba,ford and given Fischer a run.

Hey ho. On to the next one

Im more bothered about the fact he feels the fans forced the long balls even though the statistics show its part of our game plan and his changes forced the issue. But I forgot you think everyone who questions Karanka is dumb and wants Messi and Ronaldo...

Glad I'm not the only on seeing this.  The comments are so odd that there has to be stuff going on behind the scenes and if what PP has apparently said is correct then they would make a little more sense as there are obviously some issues if that's the case.

Largely poor quality game between two poor sides littered with mistakes that lead to it being more open than most of our usual performances.  Result was more than fair and indeed could have been worse if West Ham had been given the penalty they should have had almost on half time when Friend brought their lad down or Lanzini hadn't bottled his chance early in the second half.  Either would have ended the game as a contest there and then.

We started slowly, West Ham were the better side up until we scored.  Poor defending for the corner for their first and our right hand side was a weak link for us throughout.  Great play from us for our goal, really nice football and for a little while it looked like we were going to take control of the game but it never happened.  Second goal again coming initially down our right hand side and Carroll reacted quickest.  Second half we again started slowly (is the pre-match and half time beverage Ovaltine or something?).  We should have conceded again but Lanzini messed up.  The game settled more into a pattern of West Ham sitting deeper and us huffing and puffing to little or no effect.  Traore just about the only threat we actually had in reality.  West Ham were quite content for us to shuffle the ball out wide and then swing crosses in.  Only twice did we cause them any real issue, once with de Roon and once where Cresswell ended up ***ting the ball against Stuani before it hit the bar.  Other than that we did nothing and didn't look likely too either.  The third goal West Ham got obviously came as a result of us overcommitting forward chasing the equaliser but as I said they should have scored before that anyway.

Back four looked susceptible all game but the three in front of that were a big problem in my opinion as well.  Espinosa looks like a back up player at best.  He was all over the place at times, hopefully still just adjusting to playing here or we've wasted another signing.  It was clear we had issues on our right and one of the three in midfield should have basically slotted in over there as soon as we lost the ball to cover Traore.  Completely pointless having three in midfield if they aren't capable of filling holes in our lines especially when all three players are essentially defensive players or rather not attacking players in any meaningful way.  The bulk of the performances were the same as always, Stuani right place right time again but other than that didn't do much and Negredo doing his usual.  Traore had a lot of positives though with some good crosses today.  Some boneheaded mistakes as well but more good than bad in my opinion and was our only serious threat.

No idea what the subs were about, someone is going to tell me they were attacking moves but the whole thing looked and felt disjointed to me.  If you've got Gestede coming on then get someone on to supply him, Bamford isn't that player with all due respect to him (Stuani wouldn't have been either to be fair).  To be honest, Negredo should have been the one off and Stuani left on arguably cos I have more faith in him getting on the end of a chance and finishing it than Negredo right now.

Heard the stuff from Karanka after the game and read on here the usual suspects agreeing with every word, big surprise there of course.  The atmosphere was good today and the fans were right behind the players.  Fans being criticised for wanting the team to attack is ridiculous. If Karanka's intentions really weren't to play long balls (we do this as often as anyone in the league don't we, statistically I mean?) then he should feel free to explain what the plan was.  We didn't bring Gestede on for his silky skills and unless there's a clause in Negredo's contract then Stuani would have been better left on as a goalscorer alongside the big man than Negredo.  It felt to me that we were quite clearly going big up top (oo-er) but apparently that's not what Karanka wanted.  I assume he wanted us to keep shuffling the ball out wide and throwing crosses in and hope that we connected with one.  That's mostly what we did anyway really but having an actual winger on with good delivery (Downing maybe?) would have been a better bet for that than Bamford.  Like I said, the thinking was disjointed and Karanka has nobody to blame but himself for that.  

For the all the talk that this was a more attacking display I'd be willing to bet that they had more shots than us and they certainly had better chances.  Did we even have more than two shots on target, I can't remember a save their keeper had to make other than from de Roon? It was a largely similar performance to most of what we get with the difference being more mistakes, us being behind for the majority of the game against a bad side and thus having to chase the game against a team that really shouldn't have been able to keep us at bay but they unfortunately they were able to do just that.  

No idea where we go from here.  Karanka's comments were pathetic and really don't hold up under any scrutiny for people prepared to actually think them through properly.  He keeps changing the team and to my mind this is now effecting us at the back as we looked shaky there against Watford as well.  That's the only thing we've had going for us this season so if we lose that without any improvement going the other way then we're in trouble.  As it is it feels as if we're reliant on the teams below us continuing to be rubbish because we just don't look like winning games.  Big week for all concerned coming up I'd say.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

excellent summing up

Glad I'm not the only on seeing this.  The comments are so odd that there has to be stuff going on behind the scenes and if what PP has apparently said is correct then they would make a little more sense as there are obviously some issues if that's the case.

It's the old tin tack then?

No idea mate. Karanka apparently walked out on Thursday and didn't stay with the team last night. I'm not on twitter just reading the transfer thread and what people have said PP has posted there. Pressure of the campaign or annoyance at not getting players he wants in the window? Could be nothing at all, just seems odd if true.

No idea mate. Karanka apparently walked out on Thursday and didn't stay with the team last night. I'm not on twitter just reading the transfer thread and what people have said PP has posted there. Pressure of the campaign or annoyance at not getting players he wants in the window? Could be nothing at all, just seems odd if true.

Yep very odd, it's strange that Suddenly Downing has decided to stay, maybe PP speaks the truth. I'm not fussed either way, as it goes.

Makes no odds to me either way, same goes for which players come or go. I'm a Boro fan regardless of who the manager is or the players are. The only thing I would say is that the reasons for it, if indeed it happened, would matter to me. If for example he's not getting the players he wants and is ***ed off then I'm squarely on his side. If it's players ***ing on (we've heard all kinds of stuff the last week or two about unhappy players) then again I'm squarely on his side. If it's some daft sulk or tantrum like last season then that's a different story. It's a *** time for something to happen though, you'd really want it at the end of December if anything. To be honest I'd sooner he stayed, the scouting department left and he just became a bit more flexible in his approach. Mind you, it could all be complete nonsense of course!

Our problem is Ak is so obsessed with not losing a game rather than actually winning one and he completely relies on a very well disciplined defence(credit goes to ak for it) but when the defence has a bad day like today our offence is awful and cant get us out of it. My problem isn't our league position, I dont even think we'll go down due to others being worse than us. It's style of play its so boring and lacks any ambition and is very hard to watch evey week.

Makes no odds to me either way, same goes for which players come or go. I'm a Boro fan regardless of who the manager is or the players are. The only thing I would say is that the reasons for it, if indeed it happened, would matter to me. If for example he's not getting the players he wants and is *** off then I'm squarely on his side. If it's players ***ing on (we've heard all kinds of stuff the last week or two about unhappy players) then again I'm squarely on his side. If it's some daft sulk or tantrum like last season then that's a different story. It's a *** time for something to happen though, you'd really want it at the end of December if anything. To be honest I'd sooner he stayed, the scouting department left and he just became a bit more flexible in his approach. Mind you, it could all be complete nonsense of course!

Bang on post CT