oneBoro Forum

Karanka has criticised the fans after West Ham defeat

Having read Karanka's latest comments on the issue, I'm inclined to agree with him. The atmosphere wasn't "awful" in the usual sense. However, I suspected what he was doing with those comments was protecting his players and borne of frustration at seeing his players so distraught.

I watched us play in a certain way for 80 minutes and then stop playing that way. I heard the fans chanting and also felt the frustration in the crowd - it wasn't awful but it was there. Based on his latest comments, so too did the players and there has obviously been dressing room talks that allude to the atmosphere or influence of the crowd and the pressure the players feel.

Personally, I think we should be happy because it shows that the players care and want to give the crowd success. It doesn't matter how professional you are, the crowd can always influence you. We've discussed this years ago when our crowd was tetchy, nervous and you could see that it translated to the players.

Whether you agree with the atmosphere or not, it seems apparent that it affected the players and Karanka is trying to protect them from that. Again, you can argue that perhaps his frustration also comes from the fact that the players allowed themselves to be influenced by it, but I don't blame him for wanting to stand up for them.

I'd rather have a manager that stands up for what he believes is best for the team rather than not saying anything for fear of upsetting some of the 30,000 crowd.

I'd also love for that manager to hire an attacking coach who can help him turn our controlled possession into actual chances created too though! :-)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute ***.

The crowd were nothing but positive. To state that they were and are responsible for the players "resorting" to long balls is kidology of the highest order. It's an excuse at worst and diversionary tactics at best.

Absolute ***.

The crowd were nothing but positive. To state that they were and are responsible for the players "resorting" to long balls is kidology of the highest order. It's an excuse at worst and diversionary tactics at best.

Spot on Humpty, my cousin is a West Ham supporter and the West Ham fans were saying how well the Boro crowd got behind the team, Karanka is talking ***. Those who are saying Boro fans are being over sensitive should look at the players if Attack, Attack, Attack is all it takes to upset them Jesus.

It was a joke, Prowler.  I would have thought the personal henchmen bit would have given it away   :rolleyes:

Regarding this idea that the fans made us play differently.  Let's look at what actually happened during the game shall we.  Firstly for 80 mins we created a couple of decent chances at best.  We scored from one of them, de Roon forced a decent save from another and we had a near miss or two - Traore's cross in the first half with nobody there to put in for example.  That's what our 'normal' play did for us - not much.

In the 80th minute Bamford replaces Stuani and a couple of mins later Gestede replaces Forshaw. Including injury time this is now the final 10 mins.  Our team is basically 4-2-4 at his point with Clayton and de Roon in midfield, Bamford on the right, Traore on the left and Gestede & Negredo up front.  I've never played for Real Madrid and I don't have my coaching badges but that screams to me more direct football.  In what way could we with that team continue to play the 'normal' way?  

- We have one less man in midfield.

- We don't have a number 10 as if we've gone back to 4-2-3-1.

- The two in midfield are hard workers but have no quality on the ball.

- We have two big guys up front.

- Bamford is a square peg in a round hole exactly as Stuani is.

- He isn't going to create much or really stretch teams.

So how do we keep playing the same way?  We can't play through the middle any more as we don't have the extra man in midfield.  The two in midfield aren't the players you want knocking the ball around ideally.  Our full backs are still going to push forward and that's exactly what they did.  Like it or not though, with that team shape and those players the temptation will always be to go direct.  

To put it another way: Firstly if we ever started a game with that line up is there anyone that would seriously expect us to play the same way as we always do?  Secondly we would never start a game with that line up because it's completely unsuited to that.

Karanka's changes dictated the style of play not the crowd.  Our players would naturally think more direct with those players in that line up.  I actually thought it was worth a go because what we were doing wasn't working so why not do something different for 10 mins?

Absolute ***.

Spot on Humpty, my cousin is a West Ham supporter and the West Ham fans were saying how well the Boro crowd got behind the team, Karanka is talking ***. Those who are saying Boro fans are being over sensitive should look at the players if Attack, Attack, Attack is all it takes to upset them Jesus.

Except that this may well be the issue. If the players felt pressured by that chant, which helped them play that way then Karanka is trying to protect his players by deflecting the blame away from them. I don't think it will work and I also feel in agreement that it may have had something to do with sticking a big tall lump up front that helped the players go long.

As for the tactical reasons why they may have been forced to go long, what frustrated me most was that we had Traore dropping deep to pick up the ball constantly and for those last 10 minutes they almost all ignored him and kicked it over his head.

I didn't like the tactics in those last 10 minutes, the tension from the crowd suggested they didn't like the tactics in those minutes either. Maybe the intention from the crowd was to be positive. Clearly plenty of people feel the atmosphere was great and there was no tension. Differences of opinion. Not all 30,000 people there are going to agree, but in my opinion the tension and frustration was there.

Either way, though, the players need to live with it and follow their instructions.

Contrary? I don't really think that's applicable in that context?

I just think it's ridiculous state that we've got too. We're told professionals, that are paid between £20k and 80k a week, are having their performance affected by supporters very briefly chanting an encouraging chant. Absolutely bizarre.

When you take a step back from the emotion and look at what's actually being said it beggars belief.

I just think it's ridiculous state that we've got too. We're told professionals, that are paid between £20k and 80k a week, are having their performance affected by supporters very briefly chanting an encouraging chant. Absolutely bizarre.

When you take a step back from the emotion and look at what's actually being said it beggars belief.

Completely agree with Humpty to be honest, shocked about the amount of people that came out and said they backed what Karanka said.

The timing was so bizarre, if it was said after say the Watford home game, or Leicester game maybe you could sort of see what he was on about, but the atmosphere for the West Ham game was fine, good infact.

Love him or hate him the blokes petulant and stubborn, always has been always will be.

Not contrary as in against AK, contrary as in nobody else is saying we can't sing anything and you're deliberately taking it to the extreme for dramatic effect. Otherwise, why does the home support matter at all? You could say 'they're paid millions so the support shouldn't matter.' Is bull.

No matter how well paid someone is they're still human. You don't turn into an emotionless robot the second you sign a huge contract, and to expect players to just get on regardless is ridiculous. As I've already said, the body language changed against West Ham, and it coincided with the change in tack from the fans.

We fans expect to have our own opinions respected, regardless of which side of the fence we sit. Well it's the same for the players, managers, coaches, owners etc.