• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really think we need to get downing back in the team. Whether that's on the wing or in the centre of midfield.

We waste SO many opportunities to get freekicks and corners into our big men because clayton and forshaw are actually completely useless at delivering a decent ball from these situations.

Ramirez is decent when he comes back but Downing is by far the best.

I'm going to start by something I never do and talk about the ref.  I'm one of those people who can't stand people moaning about referees.  If you don't win a game it's entirely your own fault and certainly that was the case tonight.  However, there's no way that Stuart Atwell should be a Premier League referee, I'm not even sure he should be refereeing professionally at all.  He seems to lack any judgement whatsoever.  Other than the fact that he was fast-tracked and they've clearly invested time in him there's really no reason for him to be refereeing at this level.

Anyway, an oddly open game tonight.  It was almost like both sets of players knew that everyone would be expecting a 0-0 snoozefest and thought *** it lets just have a laugh.  I think the openness probably came as much as a result of mistakes than anything else. Players giving the ball away, not tracking runners etc.  It at least lead to something interesting to watch.

We started poorly, even before the goal it looked like West Brom were on top.  The goal came from bad defending from the set piece, something that is becoming a feature of our game unfortunately. But we gradually got ourselves back into the game albeit without really doing much until the penalty. Looked a bit soft but no idea what it was like as I haven't seen a replay.  I actually thought Stuani's later one looked more obvious but again I haven't seen that one either.  Traore had a few good bursts, de Roon ran around a lot, we occasionally strung a few passes together and looked ok but by and large we were as threatening as a puppy.

The second half got going and for a while I thought we were going to get on top and maybe just maybe win it but it really just fizzled out for us and if anything West Brom grew stronger and looked more likely to score than we did.  Bamford came on and did nothing and in fact Traore didn't have the same impact over on the left as he had on the right - I felt his influence had already started to wane anyway before that to be fair.  Gestede came on, got fouled and did whatever and we really didn't look capable of breaking them down.

I've got no idea what the stats were on the game but I'd be willing to bet that once again we had fewer shots than the opposition.  I'm trying to think how often we hit the target other than the penalty?  The closest we came to scoring other than that was actually twice from West Brom players, which is garbage really if we're honest about it.  We probably got away with it a bit when they hit the post twice and the chance they had near the end as well.

Valdes did ok with a couple of efforts but still flapped at a few.  The back four didn't look solid to me at all and we're actually getting worse at the back in my opinion.  Not only that but the fullbacks didn't offer enough going forwards either.

The three in midfield all did some ok things and some not so ok things.  Forshaw was tidy but lacking any influence or cutting edge, Clayton was supposed to be the defensive player but occasionally got caught out and de Roon ran around a lot, made some decent interceptions or picking up loose balls but makes too many errors.  If we put them all together we'd have one pretty good midfielder or maybe two ok ones at this level.

Traore did his best but is still good and bad in equal measure - can beat 3 or 4 like they aren't there but misplaces 10/15 yard passes. Negredo put himself about but without much to show for it - he isn't as good as he thinks he is.  Stuani is a waste of space on the left unless we can supply him with chances - same as he is on the right to be fair.  Bamford added nothing as did Gestede.

I'll say one thing about us, we gave an honest performance tonight.  Honest in the sense that everyone made an effort but we just lack quality all over the park.  It's just not there however you want to look at it.  Every now and then we clicked when we had the ball and had a nice moment or two but we couldn't sustain it and it was often on the back of an opposition mistake and a quick break anyway.  

We probably could have lost tonight and didn't so that's a positive but that's about it really.  I don't know where we're going to get wins from unless we figure out a way to attack teams with more skill/creativity/nous/ call it whatever you will.  And worryingly I think defensively we are looking more suspect as the season goes on.

I really think we need to get downing back in the team. Whether that's on the wing or in the centre of midfield.

We waste SO many opportunities to get freekicks and corners into our big men because clayton and forshaw are actually completely useless at delivering a decent ball from these situations.

Ramirez is decent when he comes back but Downing is by far the best.

Yes. I'd happily have him replace Forshaw. Despite a good start to the season I don't think Forshaw brings anything to the team.

CT, both were penalties. 2nd was much more obvious than the first, I don't know how he didn't give the second but managed to give the first.

The first, the defender got the ball but he had to force his way through Negredo to get it. 2nd one was a clear trip.

The only thing I can think is that Atwell wasn't so sure about the first one so decided to let West Brom off for the 2nd one just in case.

If we aren't winning against sides like that at home then just where are we expected to pick up the next three points ?

away to spurs who are the only team in the prem yet to be beaten at home obviously, how long have you been a boro fan :D ...

CT, both were penalties. 2nd was much more obvious than the first, I don't know how he didn't give the second but managed to give the first.

The first, the defender got the ball but he had to force his way through Negredo to get it. 2nd one was a clear trip.

The only thing I can think is that Atwell wasn't so sure about the first one so decided to let West Brom off for the 2nd one just in case.

Cheers mate, he probably tried to even it up, which is what I thought at the time when I believed the first one looked soft.  Not a good referee at all that fella.

If we aren't winning against sides like that at home then just where are we expected to pick up the next three points ?

I would guess it'd be against teams somewhere near us in the table.