oneBoro Forum

Boro v Tottenham (A) 0-1

Usual post defeat drivel.

I mean if your going to criticise how we play and how karanka sets us up then at least be accurate and don't just make up absolute crap to support your argument.

"I know it was Spurs but we set up the same way every game".... No, no we don't, if you think we set up that way in every game you either don't go to them or pay little attention when your there.

"We were poo"..... We defended excellently, lost only to a penalty against one of the leagues best attacking teams. We kept ourselves in the game right up to the end where we could have grabbed a point, I'd rather that than some consolation after going 3-0 down.

Listen to johnmfc81, he knows his stuff.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm not sure I'd use the word excellently.

We were resolute in the most part but we were regularly carved open and got lucky more than a few times. 

We were good defensively, don't get me wrong, but excellent makes it sound like we completely shut Tottenham out which isn't the case. Another day that's a 4-0 game easily.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough they did create good opportunities, they had to work for it though and we didn't look shambolic like a lot of the bottom few teams do.

We defend like a mid table team and attack like a championship team, it's simply a result of poor recruitment.

I don,t care how good or ugly it was, the point being its another defeat and we are closer to the drop zone. The selection and investment in players is not good enough to pick up points from the mid or lower opponents. It,s not over yet. Let,s hope for a turn of events

Fair enough they did create good opportunities, they had to work for it though and we didn't look shambolic like a lot of the bottom few teams do.

We defend like a mid table team and attack like a championship team, it's simply a result of poor recruitment.

Recruitment absolutely plays a part but I don't think we should underestimate the lack of Premier League experience for large numbers of our squad coming up from the Championship. Getting that experience into the team can be very expensive and difficult to do in convincing established players to join a newly promoted team. We're in the market for players still trying to prove themselves or who are edged out of established sides, really, so getting that experience can be tricky. If we stay up, it becomes a little easier next time to convince folks, but at the moment the other teams have that advantage over us.

And if you defend like a mid table team and attacking like a championship one like you say, where would that get you?

And to your earlier jibe about being set up the same most games.. formations may be tweaked slightly but set up the same mentality pretty much every game... can't you see it's the same old story every week? We literally come on saying the same thing! The more positive people will say well at least we defended well, which of course if great, but I'd just like to see us have a go. Especially when we concede.. many games this season where we've conceded and instead of throwing the kitchen sink we haven't adapted tactically.. yesterday, West Ham, Watford at home, Southampton away.

I thought we had some decent passages of play but sadly too far and few inbetween. We can not rely on the defensive side of our play to hold out for 90 minutes with the onslaught and intensity of attacks against us.

Yes we lost to a penalty but they had some good chances, our attacks are so rare that it is no wonder that missing would be the most likely of results from that attack.

One aspect of our play was summed up by Forshaw who on the face of it only option was to shoot at the goal and simply did not do so.

I do also have sympathy for Negredo who just does not get enough ammunition.

Yesterday showed we can do what is required so for me our forward and midfield simply has to quicken up and put other defences under pressure.

The new lad has to be involved straight away agianst Everton

Yesterday was a decent effort and it's hard to criticise the team afterwards. Our season isn't going to be defined on trips to clubs like Spurs, it's going to be defined on winning games at home and away games against the bottom six.

The worrying thing at the moment is the form of the teams around us, can you see us scoring four goals away from home like Sunderland did or going on a run like Hull are at the moment?

I honestly cannot see us getting more than about 30 points now, if I was gambling my life savings I wouldn't back money on us against anyone at the moment. I'll still go to the games and support the team but unfortunately I think we are doomed, the failures in the transfer market are going to cost us badly.

Did anyone else pick up on the sheer retardness of the commentator on bt?

1) Boro's last win this calender year was in December :(

2) Boro's last away win was on the opening day of the season against Sunderland :(

3) Patrick Bamford is still yet to play for his parent club :(

Do yerrr research ya goon.

I thought that too. Some of their info was shocking as usual.

Usual post defeat drivel.

I mean if your going to criticise how we play and how karanka sets us up then at least be accurate and don't just make up absolute crap to support your argument.

"I know it was Spurs but we set up the same way every game".... No, no we don't, if you think we set up that way in every game you either don't go to them or pay little attention when your there.

"We were poo"..... We defended excellently, lost only to a penalty against one of the leagues best attacking teams. We kept ourselves in the game right up to the end where we could have grabbed a point, I'd rather that than some consolation after going 3-0 down.

Listen to johnmfc81, he knows his stuff.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm not sure I'd use the word excellently.

We were resolute in the most part but we were regularly carved open and got lucky more than a few times. 

We were good defensively, don't get me wrong, but excellent makes it sound like we completely shut Tottenham out which isn't the case. Another day that's a 4-0 game easily.

We did defend excellently it was one mistake that cost us. You cannot shut a team like spurs out completely. It's a case of having the answer to their attacks which we did.

We can criticise the club's recruitment till the summer but that wont change anything. We have to play cards we have now.

Hopefully come Everton the starting squad will look different.

--------negredo---------

Gaston-------------adama

---adlene-----de roon---

--------clayton---------

Friend-gibson-chambers-barragan.

That could be enough to get a point from Everton hopefully.

I thought we had some decent passages of play but sadly too far and few inbetween. We can not rely on the defensive side of our play to hold out for 90 minutes with the onslaught and intensity of attacks against us.

Yes we lost to a penalty but they had some good chances, our attacks are so rare that it is no wonder that missing would be the most likely of results from that attack.

One aspect of our play was summed up by Forshaw who on the face of it only option was to shoot at the goal and simply did not do so.

I do also have sympathy for Negredo who just does not get enough ammunition.

Yesterday showed we can do what is required so for me our forward and midfield simply has to quicken up and put other defences under pressure.

The new lad has to be involved straight away agianst Everton

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for Negredo.

He's just wrong for us. Whenever the ball is played up to him, with his back at a defender, rather than try to hold the ball up and wait for support, he'll try to do a clever flick or sideways pass. He knows he's the only one up there so for me that's a lack of tactical awareness, or he's just thick.

Also he constantly treads on peoples toes, he doesn't seem to make space. Take his overhead kick yesterday, Paddy was right behind him, if he he had better awareness he should have been in the centre of the box waiting for a knock down or pass from Paddy.

On the subject of Paddy, when he came on against Wham, he was trying to play exactly how a striker should. When the ball came down the left he drifted to the right hand post, when it came down the right he drifted left..

I have not been impressed by Negredo for a few weeks now. The fact that Karanka plays him week in and week out regardless of form just baffles me.

Everton will be tough on Sat regardless, but after that we've got some huge game coming up. Palace away, Sunderland at home.. like people have said these will be the games more likely to define our fate.

I don't really think we defended that well. We were lucky they didn't score 4, 5, 6 goals. They certainly had the chances for it.

Chambers in the RB position doesn't cut it for me. He's too slow against many of the wingers in the Premier League, and Son completely owned him again and again. I'd much rather he played instead of Bernardo.

We were just outclassed in every position. Guediriariarairao did horribly when he first came on, but at least he did show glimpses of creativity, but best of all he showed some intention, drive, cojones. He offers something we don't currently have in Forshaw/Clayton/De Roon, and that is the ability to take a fking shot from distance. I can't believe Forshaw is unable to take a shot, and when he finally does it looks like u15s doing long passes.

If De Roon put that chance away we would have came away with a well deserved point. Would we have got the same overreaction on here about the manner of our play if that happened? No. Everyone would have been over the moon. We are just awfully bad losers. Same vs Man City, if De Roon hadn't had scored we would have had a complete overreaction after losing vs title challengers.

If AK caved in to the fans wishes and set up to attack like Bournemouth do we would have been destroyed to pieces vs a very good Spurs team. They put 4 past against a Tony a Pulis side which shows you how ruthless they are. AK's philosophy of being organised for 90 minutes at least gives us a chance of getting something out of games.

But even if we set up differently and showed more attacking intent the fans would be moaning that we're conceding too many goals. So basically AK is in a lose lose situation with Boro fans.

Ahhhhh if only De Roon had put that in the net. A very disciplined performance from Boro against a good Spurs team who have amassed the most ever personal points in the Prem to games played. More of the same please with a smidgen of luck.