oneBoro Forum

Signing of the Summer/season

I find it very difficult to say Negredo has been 'fantastic'. On a lot of occasions, we could have played Rhodes or Nugent and we'd have ended up with the same number of points.

So has he been effective by himself? Not often enough. Can you blame him? Probably not.

If we were relegated right now, I wouldn't blame it on Negredo. But I can't find it in myself to say he's been great because at the end of the day, he hasn't contributed (or if you'd prefer, hasn't been able to contribute) enough to really determine our success. He's not the problem, nor is he the solution.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice Luke Shaw's been left out the United squad for the fourth game in a row. I'd love to have a fit Luke Shaw at the Boro.

I thought this a few weeks ago when I heard he was fit but just out of favour, his wages will be huge though which would be a problem.

I find it very difficult to say Negredo has been 'fantastic'. On a lot of occasions, we could have played Rhodes or Nugent and we'd have ended up with the same number of points.

So has he been effective by himself? Not often enough. Can you blame him? Probably not.

If we were relegated right now, I wouldn't blame it on Negredo. But I can't find it in myself to say he's been great because at the end of the day, he hasn't contributed (or if you'd prefer, hasn't been able to contribute) enough to really determine our success. He's not the problem, nor is he the solution.

He could of been the solution had the link between midfield and him be better. As you say negredo is not the problem. I find it hard to judge him really because the service he has received has so poor. A better playmaker and he would thrive. Every game I've seen he had worked his socks off. One thing I think he could do beter though is his hold up play, he needs the ball to stick to him more. I know the balls to him haven't been that great either. But if he could hold up the ball for a few seconds it could be better for us.

Agree with that. It's not his fault his support is so often far away from him but being able to keep the ball stuck to him for an extra 3-4 seconds before releasing could go a long way.

Where's Mark Viduka when you need him? :(

well I think Rhodes would had been all good with support too or Nugent or even Danny Graham :)

All forwards are good with support and useless without....

Not entirely true. If a ball fell to Yakubu in the box back in the day, you'd back him to score. If it was Michael Ricketts, Marvin Emnes, Curtis Main... less so.

well to some extend ofc. And ofc you can get other things than goals out of a forward. But their main thing should be scoring goals.....

I think Main would score 10 goals per season in Barcelona ;)

Yet he didn't manage that at Borocelona

well I think Rhodes would had been all good with support too or Nugent or even Danny Graham :)

All forwards are good with support and useless without....

That's just not right is it though? Negredo has contributed to more than half of our goals whilst having little to no support, so he hasn't been useless without support.

Based on now it would have to be Valdes , but based on the fact we might sell him for squllions then you would have to say Traore is closely behind

Nobodies transfers are ever 100% so I think that based on what we were paying/where we are etc that our transfers have by and large been excellent with probably only Fischer one that has flopped so far , but even then he is a young lad and that could yet change.

I also don't get any Negredo bashing as he must have the single hardest forwards job in the whole league , but has done it with (as far as I can tell) great heart , and team spirit.

Is anyone really bashing Negredo? All I've said is that he's not been a fantastic signing. He doesn't solve the problems we have. He doesn't make a huge difference in our side. We classify other signings to their effectiveness so I don't see why Negredo should be any different?

All fair and well when people look at the 2 starts Rhodes had in the PL this season and say he did nothing but when you look at both those games, if we'd put Negredo in his place it's difficult to say that the outcome would have been any different.

It's not his fault but then neither was it Rhodes'. Negredo is a better player than Rhodes but it doesn't make a difference having a better player if we can't support either of them.

Is anyone really bashing Negredo? All I've said is that he's not been a fantastic signing. He doesn't solve the problems we have. He doesn't make a huge difference in our side. We classify other signings to their effectiveness so I don't see why Negredo should be any different?

All fair and well when people look at the 2 starts Rhodes had in the PL this season and say he did nothing but when you look at both those games, if we'd put Negredo in his place it's difficult to say that the outcome would have been any different.

It's not his fault but then neither was it Rhodes'. Negredo is a better player than Rhodes but it doesn't make a difference having a better player if we can't support either of them.

Wasn't saying you were fella. I am thinking more as a general point across posts . I do think we colour the success thing with how many goals he has scored/assisted together with a shots to goals ratio (I have no idea how he stacks up here by the way) but that given our style of play I would say he has made a difference. If we had a better 3 behind him then I would be fairly confident that he would have had more impact and we would be talking about him as the best signing rather than our goalkeeper