oneBoro Forum

Boro v Oxford United (FA Cup) 3-2

Just seen the highlights, whoever said that you could blame Chambers for the freekick is right I think, I reckon that hits him if he attempts it, just stands it lets it fly just over his head.

Guzan was stood virtually on his opposite post as well. That wasn't a great free kick, a decent keeper positioned properly saves it every time.

I'm going out for a drink with a lad I used to coach with (he's actually a goalkeeping coach!) So I'll get him to look at it. My instinct though was that the keepers got one side of the goal and the wall is supposed to protect the other since there is less reaction time when it's being struck from so close. So I put the blame solely on the wall. But I've been wrong before so I'll let you know the feedback I get!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually predicted when Stuani came on that he would do nothing except pop up with a backpost wonner, it was tongue in cheek at the time but he's gone and done it again. Such a bizarre player.

Fischer, Espinosa & Guzan have no business being at this club to be honest. Aside from that we were decent today except the mad couple of minutes were we switched off and let them back in.

Fischer seems to have really split the crowd today - I thought he did well but there's plenty on each side!

Just seen the highlights, whoever said that you could blame Chambers for the freekick is right I think, I reckon that hits him if he attempts it, just stands it lets it fly just over his head.

Guzan was stood virtually on his opposite post as well. That wasn't a great free kick, a decent keeper positioned properly saves it every time.

I'm going out for a drink with a lad I used to coach with (he's actually a goalkeeping coach!) So I'll get him to look at it. My instinct though was that the keepers got one side of the goal and the wall is supposed to protect the other since there is less reaction time when it's being struck from so close. So I put the blame solely on the wall. But I've been wrong before so I'll let you know the feedback I get!

You also have to give context. The taker had already gone the opposite side of the wall too. I think that contributed to him positioning himself to his extreme right and for him waiting until the kick was struck to move to his left.

In that case for me that makes three people to blame for the goal - Traore for the clumsy tackle in front of goal, Guzan for positioning too far to one side of goal and now Chambers

Ramirez was poor when he came on, really didn't help us in the game and Fischer was actually having a decent game so it didn't really make much sense. He played his part in the build-up to the last goal but the whole thing with him running off the pitch without doing anything else says enough for me. His head isn't here.

If he's going to make a difference between now and the end of the season, I couldn't really care less, that's what he's paid to do. He should do everything in his power to keep us up and he looked promising last time out. But if he's going to sulk as much on the pitch as off then to hell with him.

A perfect scenario for me would be to see us stay up and Leicester go down. See if he still busts a gut to make that move happen then. Obviously won't be his only suitors but was certainly the move he wanted a couple of weeks ago.

"Obviously won't be his only suitors"...

Are you sure mate? Has Ramirez REALLY done it in the PL over the years? If we really could have got £15M for him in this Jan transfer window, we probably should have taken it!

Ramirez was poor when he came on, really didn't help us in the game and Fischer was actually having a decent game so it didn't really make much sense. He played his part in the build-up to the last goal but the whole thing with him running off the pitch without doing anything else says enough for me. His head isn't here.

If he's going to make a difference between now and the end of the season, I couldn't really care less, that's what he's paid to do. He should do everything in his power to keep us up and he looked promising last time out. But if he's going to sulk as much on the pitch as off then to hell with him.

A perfect scenario for me would be to see us stay up and Leicester go down. See if he still busts a gut to make that move happen then. Obviously won't be his only suitors but was certainly the move he wanted a couple of weeks ago.

Are you sure mate? Has Ramirez REALLY done it in the PL over the years? If we really could have got £15M for him in this Jan transfer window, we probably should have taken it!

Not if we didn't have any realistic replacements lined up.

Positives: we scored 3 goals in a game for the first time in god knows how long. Our attacking play looked pretty good for the most part. For the first half we looked really energetic and worked hard.

Negatives: Our defending at times was laughable. Marked drop-off in work rate and concentration in the second half allowed Oxford back into the game. Too defensive and panicky in stoppage time.

Last month against Sheff Wed.

Not if we didn't have any realistic replacements lined up.

Yeah you may be right. (Probably are in fact). If he doesn't really try for the remainder of the season, then it'll feel like we should have, but not all players react like that, so you can't really predict it.

I really admire the players who get told they can't leave a club, and then really knuckle down and do their best for the team anyway.

People who boo Boro players are pathetic. Likewise people who refuse to celebrate winners because they're too busy whinging about the performance.

Enemies of football.

Yeh I found those comments earlier about being "unable to celebrate the winner" extremely cringeworthy. Why follow football if you can't take the rough with the smooth?

Yeh I found those comments earlier about being "unable to celebrate the winner" extremely cringeworthy. Why follow football if you can't take the rough with the smooth?

You may be referring to me there. Although what I will say is that I didn't really react not that I refused, which my wife was very happy about given I usually scream very loudly. I was furious with our defending for the two goals, so much so that all I felt for the goal was pure relief. I didn't jump up or anything I just sat there. I didn't feel like I could celebrate because I'd really really wound myself up before hand.

If it makes you feel any better, I just sat silently for about 10mins after the final whistle at Brighton last May and i was delighted.

Top and bottom is that I can't understand my reactions either! Not sure it's cringe worthy like and it seems a bit nit picky to point it out and judge me for how I react to things - that's my wife's job.

Not just you mate, it was posted at least twice. Maybe cringeworthy wasn't the right word, just doesn't compute with me not celebrating a winning goal. Each to their own I suppose, I didn't mean to be a ***.

Not just you mate, it was posted at least twice. Maybe cringeworthy wasn't the right word, just doesn't compute with me not celebrating a winning goal. Each to their own I suppose, I didn't mean to be a ***.

Ah no offense taken mate :D logically I agree with you and I've celebrate all too enthusiastically many many times in my Boro life! So much so I was highlighted on Sky once! lol but that's another story.

Has anyone thought that Ramirez running straight down the tunnel has something to do with his recent injury? Maybe it's important for him to go straight to the physio as soon as the match finishes. That sounds plausible to me although a minute of appreciation for the fans probably wouldn't do him any harm. Maybe he is a bit scared about a direct confrontation with the fans before he has actually done something good. Maybe he knows that what he has done won't sit well with the fans and he needs to show something before going to the fans.