Details 

Teams –  Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough FC

Location – Selhurst Noah

Competition – The Premier League

Date – 25-Feb-2017

Kick off – 15:00

Introduction

Apples and Pears, Apples and Pears. 

Welcome Cockneys and Gentlemen, to this Tom Match Day Thread as Middlesbrough travel to the big laugh to boat Crystal Palace in a bargain basement Premier league Peckham.

Not many people know that...

The Last Games

Boro:

Boro 3 - 2 Oxford

Boro flew into the lead with a convincing first half performance and scored twice before half time. Oxford had a second half resurgence though and scored two sausages in as many minutes. Would you adam it? The game looked like it was going to end up Desmond. Fortunately, the Boro snatched a last minute goal, courtesy of Cristhian Booooani to ensure progression through to the quarter finals of the FA Cup.

Crystal Palace:

Stoke City 1 - 0 Crystal Palace

Joe Allan scored a second half rock for Stoke that leaves Palace languishing in the bottom three. Big Sam will have to dry those Britney's pretty quick and look to his next game if he wants to avoid his first premier league relegation. 

Availability News

Boro

:(    - Left Union George still seems to be suffering from the knock that has plagued him for weeks now.

- Bubble goalkeeper Dimi Konstantopolous seems to be out of favour after not even making the bench v Oxford

Crystal Palace:

:( - Connor Wickham remains sidelined after injuring his knee ligaments in December

Form (League only - most recent last)

Boro: DDLDLD

Palace: LLLWLL

The Un(ger)-Official Match Preview

Despite not having won in the last 6 games, Middlesbrough have still earned more points than struggling Palace in that lemon.

Boro should be looking to emulate a speeding motorist here, and pick up three points on the road. 

It'll be interesting to see if Gaston starts performing again or whether he's content with just picking up his cat.

2-1 Boro

Talking Points

- Who will start the game?

- Will the Boro players ever be able to look themselves in the eye again if we lose to a team who lost 4-0 at home to sunderland?

- How much bees will it take for big Sam to throw the game?

- Has anyone got a brown envelope I can borrow?

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This game is HUGE

Predicted team 

Valdes

Chambers Espinosa Gibson Friend

Clayton De Roon

Leadbitter

Stuani Ramirez

Negredo

My team...

Valdes

Fabio Chambers Gibson Friend

De Roon Clayton

Leadbitter

Traore Ramirez

Negredo

Predicted team 

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Leadbitter

Stuani Ramirez

Negredo

My team...

Valdes

De Roon Clayton

Leadbitter

Traore Ramirez

Negredo

I think that  AK will go with:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Forshaw

Stuani Traore

Negredo

I'd go for:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Guedioura

Stuani Traore

Negredo

The one you put as your team is very close to what I'm hoping it will be. However I'd really like someone a bit more forward thinking in the middle three so I'm hoping Guediora starts providing he has impressed in training or maybe even downing. I think Clayton is going to be the one missing out as he had a rather poor game against Oxford. I think grant deserves a start. That defense has to start. Chambers back in the middle with Gibson and Fabio at right back. If Traore and Ramirez are on song we will get something from this.

Would love to see that second line-up, Humpty.

I think Guedioura will start. You can often tell Karanka's thinking with players when he starts bringing them on earlier and earlier in games. I think he might get the nod ahead of Leadbitter, but in any case, I'd be surprised to see Forshaw starting.

It's clear he likes Bernardo, but I think it's time to get Chambers back in the middle. I'm hoping he's seen another shaky display at the weekend and pulls him out of the firing line.

This is the biggest game of the season.

My team:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Traore Ramirez Stuani

Negredo

I don't think we've got anyone who is good at providing width from the left other than our full-backs. Downing isn't quick enough for the Prem though is probably the best in terms of contributing to defence and keeping the ball, Fischer seems to do best when in and around the box and doesn't remotely have a left foot. Stuani, at the very least, is a goal threat. It's a toss up between Downing and Stuani and I'm going to go for the latter as we need someone else in the box attacking crosses.

I'd also like to see us going back to the 4-2-3-1 as I think it's more positive and we need to be more positive in this game. It didn't work very effectively early on but I think it gets the best out of our most creative player in Ramirez and will hopefully give Negredo some extra support. Looking back at the reverse fixture, we also played 4-2-3-1 albeit with a midfield of:

Clayton Forshaw

Stuani Fischer Downing

I'd also really like to see Bamford back on the bench in the league. I imagine he has a point to prove against Palace as much as he has something to prove to everyone.

This game is HUGE

Predicted team 

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Leadbitter

Stuani Ramirez

Negredo

My team...

Valdes

De Roon Clayton

Leadbitter

Traore Ramirez

Negredo

This game is certainly pretty huge. I think it's more of a 'must not lose' than a must win. A win would be nice though.

I guess on the bright side, unless we lose by 3 goals or more, then we'll still be above Palace whatever happens.

Team-wise I'm not sure that I'd go with Leadbitter, but maybe he deserves a start?

Opening post was worth the wait. :)

As people have already said, this is a very important game of football. We simply must start winning matches like this one because there are only seven games left where we stand much chance of picking up all three points. Our other six fixtures are against the big boys and I reckon a couple of points would be a good haul from those, in total. That leaves us needing mid-teen points from seven matches, a daunting task in a league where nobody's a pushover.

My team:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Traore Ramirez Stuani

Negredo

I don't think we've got anyone who is good at providing width from the left other than our full-backs. Downing isn't quick enough for the Prem though is probably the best in terms of contributing to defence and keeping the ball, Fischer seems to do best when in and around the box and doesn't remotely have a left foot. Stuani, at the very least, is a goal threat. It's a toss up between Downing and Stuani and I'm going to go for the latter as we need someone else in the box attacking crosses.

I'd also like to see us going back to the 4-2-3-1 as I think it's more positive and we need to be more positive in this game. It didn't work very effectively early on but I think it gets the best out of our most creative player in Ramirez and will hopefully give Negredo some extra support. Looking back at the reverse fixture, we also played 4-2-3-1 albeit with a midfield of:

Clayton Forshaw

Stuani Fischer Downing

I'd also really like to see Bamford back on the bench in the league. I imagine he has a point to prove against Palace as much as he has something to prove to everyone.

Bamford cant be doing much in training if he's not even making the bench v a lowly Oxford. Hope he proves us wrong, but at the moment it's looking like we've bought a duck egg.

My team:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Traore Ramirez Stuani

Negredo

Clayton Forshaw

Stuani Fischer Downing

Bamford cant be doing much in training if he's not even making the bench v a lowly Oxford. Hope he proves us wrong, but at the moment it's looking like we've bought a duck egg.

He was on the bench against Oxford.

My team:

Valdes

Clayton De Roon

Traore Ramirez Stuani

Negredo

Clayton Forshaw

Stuani Fischer Downing

He was on the bench against Oxford.

Oh! my error. Don't know how I missed that :rolleyes: Thanks Tom.

It's up there isn't it?

Especially as to the significance of where we could be at the end of the game position wise.

In terms of away games then THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON...........so far!!!

Like others I believe if other teams can spank Palace at their place then it is about time Boro did the same.

A DS award for this game correct final score and name of first scorer (either team) 0-0 null and void!

I'll have a bit of that action DS.

Boro 2-1 win with Negrado scoring first. (Going 2-0 up before conceding in the 77 minute causing a nervous breakdown for the last 15 mins)