oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke City (A) 0-2

Pretty clear answers from AK really: "I can't tell them more times that we have to play forward...and to arrive with as many players in the box as possible...but again I can't play."

The problem is that his own decisions - team selection and substitutions - don't match up with that supposed way of thinking.  So as far as I can see all he's doing here is throwing the players under the bus.  Was he asked why he made like for like changes?  Why didn't you become more offensive minded when you were two goals down at half time?  It'd be great if people in the media would actually ask some worthwhile questions at some point.

While I agree with you, it's interesting that he's said that. And I think it was Will who told me the other day he was saying the same in training when some sky fella was there.

Even in this system, let's say Fabio has it on the right and Traore is out wide with him - that still leaves Gestede, Stuani, De Roon and Leadbitter who could be getting into and around the area. But we don't see them do it. If he is saying he's telling them to, then why aren't they? Are they worried that if they're caught out up field they'll get told off and therefore they've gotten mixed messages?

I dunno. I'm just rambling now.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I agree with you, it's interesting that he's said that. And I think it was Will who told me the other day he was saying the same in training when some sky fella was there.

Even in this system, let's say Fabio has it on the right and Traore is out wide with him - that still leaves Gestede, Stuani, De Roon and Leadbitter who could be getting into and around the area. But we don't see them do it. If he is saying he's telling them to, then why aren't they? Are they worried that if they're caught out up field they'll get told off and therefore they've gotten mixed messages?

But two of those players are not attacking players - de Roon and Leadbitter - whether they get forward or not.  Leadbitter doesn't have the legs anyway and whilst de Roon has a good engine he almost always seems to me to be a yard slower than he really needs to be. If you play three in midfield and they can't get control in midfield the end result usually is that they are defending more than attacking, in which case they aren't going to be near to Gestede.  We played three attacking players today - Gestede, Ramirez/Stuani and Traore, that's it.  None of the rest are and there is a difference between actual attack minded players, who think and act like attackers, and players like Leadbitter and de Roon who just don't think the same way and simply don't have the ability.

If you then factor in one of the three players couldn't be ***d, one is almost brainless really and one is just a big target man then I'm honestly at a loss as to how we're expected to play.  Was the plan to be more direct to Gestede and get people around him?  I don't know.  Karanka says we'll never play that way under him but yet when Gestede comes on we do seem to become more direct (as I believe I've mentioned once or twice  ;)  )  Ramirez started off on the right and Traore on the left.  Ramirez isn't a right winger, I don't really think he's a left winger either but he's at least played reasonably well there this season.  Traore isn't a left winger either.  So what was the plan with these inverted wide attacking players because from watching the game and also just thinking it over I have no idea.

Attacking is more than just people getting forward in the same way as defending is more than just having everyone back.  Nothing we do suggests we have the faintest idea what we're doing when it comes to attacking the opposition.  It feels like an afterthought.

But two of those players are not attacking players - de Roon and Leadbitter - whether they get forward or not.  Leadbitter doesn't have the legs anyway and whilst de Roon has a good engine he almost always seems to me to be a yard slower than he really needs to be. If you play three in midfield and they can't get control in midfield the end result usually is that they are defending more than attacking, in which case they aren't going to be near to Gestede.  We played three attacking players today - Gestede, Ramirez/Stuani and Traore, that's it.  None of the rest are and there is a difference between actual attack minded players, who think and act like attackers, and players like Leadbitter and de Roon who just don't think the same way and simply don't have the ability.

If you then factor in one of the three players couldn't be ***d, one is almost brainless really and one is just a big target man then I'm honestly at a loss as to how we're expected to play.  Was the plan to be more direct to Gestede and get people around him?  I don't know.  Karanka says we'll never play that way under him but yet when Gestede comes on we do seem to become more direct (as I believe I've mentioned once or twice  ;)  )  Ramirez started off on the right and Traore on the left.  Ramirez isn't a right winger, I don't really think he's a left winger either but he's at least played reasonably well there this season.  Traore isn't a left winger either.  So what was the plan with these inverted wide attacking players because from watching the game and also just thinking it over I have no idea.

Attacking is more than just people getting forward in the same way as defending is more than just having everyone back.  Nothing we do suggests we have the faintest idea what we're doing when it comes to attacking the opposition.  It feels like an afterthought.

Making the best of the limited resources you have? Plugging holes instead of having the luxury to rethink the entire team? AK has been stymied by bad and/or legacy signings who can't cut it in the PL.

But he's also responsible for all of that.

It's not like we were a great attacking side last season or the season before and we had better players than most of the teams we were playing against so what was the excuse then? At some point it has to be apparent that the issue lies with the one common denominator in all of this and that's the manager. The guy who picks the team and decides the strategy/tactics. The problems we have now are an extension of our weaknesses over the last two years, it's not something new.

Simply put. We were lucky to go up and it was down to results of teams around us. We lost our way and the same has happened again this season. We can't be a defensive team if we can't get forward and score. No one wins games purely defending. The tactics are down to the manager Period. AK is far too negative and dare I say arrogant in his belief. I would rather win one in three than defend every game.

Simply put. We were lucky to go up and it was down to results of teams around us. We lost our way and the same has happened again this season. We can't be a defensive team if we can't get forward and score. No one wins games purely defending. The tactics are down to the manager Period. AK is far too negative and dare I say arrogant in his belief. I would rather win one in three than defend every game.

We weren't lucky to go up. We had more points than most and a better goal diff than Brighton. That's not luck. That's football

I don't think we were lucky either although we did stumble over the line to an extent. Should have been capable of winning the title.

I don't think we were lucky either although we did stumble over the line to an extent. Should have been capable of winning the title.

Agree with that. We made it hard for ourselves. And have never quite recovered that attacking intent

Here my thoughts on todays game having just got back from it -

- Ayala should never play for us again he was lucky not to give a plenty away by dragging crouch all over the box and is not bothered any more because karanka dropped him for chambers.

- Bernardo does try but is simply not good enough for the prem but as soon as chambers comes back in i know who id play and maybe even put fry in ahead of him.

- Traoré is a luxury player hes very fast and occasionally puts in a good ball but his passing and delivery is usually shocking, I dont care what you all think of me for saying this putting him instead of Bamford is criminal because Bamford can pass, cross the ball and do the simple things right.

- Leadbitter been in the team today i saw as positive because we are desperate for goals and Leadbitter can score goals occasionally so well done karanka for that.

- I think karanka needs to go their is no room for sentiment in football, great he got us up with the best squad in the championship, but his negative tactics in particular only one upfront (even when we are losing) is going to take us down and id rather go down scoring goals and giving it a go rather than losing only having a couple of shots a game.

Please gibson dont leave it any longer.

Leadbitter was garbage. He wasn't alone but nobody can seriously see him in the team as a positive if that's all he's capable of surely?

Leadbitter was garbage.  He wasn't alone but nobody can seriously see him in the team as a positive if that's all he's capable of surely?

Mate leadbitter had a bad game what im saying is before the game i saw it as a positive because hes one of a few players in our whole team that can score.

His goalscoring record is okish at best. If you remove penalties it's not really very good. I think he got 4 goals last season. 12 the season before but only as a result of the 7 or 8 penalties we were awarded. He was a decent Championship midfielder and that's about it.

Just got in from the game

What an utter disgrace that was. The players look clueless and show no sign of any confidence or fight.

The away end atmosphere was very strange and flat. Lots of anger and lots of vocal chanting about ak out and joking about having a shot or Scoring etc.... were down in my opinion after seeing that today.