• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When will anyone accept on this site that the only experienced premiership player we have in this squad is Downing. All this season has shown is what everyone knows and that is the jump from Champo to Prem is huge.

As much as we might want to laugh at it , Burnley are ahead of us as this is the 3rd time they have been in the prem since we were relegated in 2009 and maybe they have a team that is more suited to survival this year.Now we have done to death the reasons that might be but you would think we were already down looking at some of the stuff on here.

It seems to me that a defence of that is taken by many as we are saying AK can do no wrong when the reality is that even his most ardent supporters would say mistakes have been made, but all we are saying is that a little context would be good here. The last 2 games haven't been great but to suggest a defeat at a previously underperforming , expensively assembled palace team and a defeat at a perenial top 10 Stoke are signs that we wont get another point this season baffle me, especially after we gave a top 8 team in Everton a really good game a few weeks ago.

We might yet go down , I accept that , but to suggest we are doing so without a fight is also daft, Some players might have given up (Ramirez?) but AK has been a winner in his career and doesn't strike me as a man giving up in a hurry.

As supporters all we can do is support the team until the end of the season , at which time that is a fair time for a post mortem on what has gone well/bad this season.

The only argument i'm constantly seeing from people who are trying to defend AK is that our team isn't good enough for the PL. So can you please enlighten me why we struggled so much in the championship to create and score goals? We was one of the highest spenders and had one of the highest wage bills compared to everyone else.

The only argument i'm constantly seeing from people who are trying to defend AK is that our team isn't good enough for the PL. So can you please enlighten me why we struggled so much in the championship to create and score goals? We was one of the highest spenders and had one of the highest wage bills compared to everyone else.

Because we didn't? In 2014/15 we scored 57 goals, in 2015/16 we scored 61. Both seasons we finished in the top 6. Not sure how you manage that without creating chances and scoring goals.

Where we are right now is where we're expected to be, given the squad we have. You can beat Karanka with a stick until the cows come home for being so defensive, but I'd be willing to bet if we weren't so defensive minded then we'd be bottom of the league.

Don't agree with that. We definitely were not this defensive earlier in the season when we were sitting much higher up, we are getting more defensive as the months progress and we are falling down the table as we get more and more negative.

I agree with you d.z, it's the impatience, spoilt behaviour and ridiculous expectations that have got me, fair enough things haven't gone great but surely this is what we were expecting isn't it? The constant negativity, bitching and tirades against karanka have ruined this season for me more than the results or performances.

This isn't aimed at anyone particular just a certain set of our fans in general, they need to realise who we are and where we've come from, they may deny it but I'm almost certain a small amount of them are getting pleasure from this.

This is no different to the time Lennie Lawrence, Bryan Robson and Steve McClaren came to the end of their tenure.

northern boroWhy hasn't Aitor Karanka been sacked by Middlesbrough? Here are 8 possible reasons

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hasnt-aitor-karanka-been-sacked-12709569

I wish the Gazette wouldn't take so much notice of social media and message boards, it just generates unrest whilst giving a platform to the keyboard warriors, who are in the minority. They are doing their best to undermine AK's position, I really don't see how a headline like the above, helps at all.

northern boroWhy hasn't Aitor Karanka been sacked by Middlesbrough? Here are 8 possible reasons

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hasnt-aitor-karanka-been-sacked-12709569

I wish the Gazette wouldn't take so much notice of social media and message boards, it just generates unrest whilst giving a platform to the keyboard warriors, who are in the minority. They are doing their best to undermine AK's position, I really don't see how a headline like the above, helps at all.

They weren't in the minority on Saturday in the away end at Stoke. They asking pertinent questions.

They were singing "we're f***ing sh**" and "time to go home", from what I could hear.

What were the pertinent questions that the majority of the crowd were asking? Certainly at the Palace match there were spectators who moaned at every move the team made, it was almost funny listening to them.

For example a player would get the ball and they'd be yelling "for *** sake run with the ball, go forward" he'd then run with the ball and lose it and they'd be moaning that he'd given the ball away and should have played it safe, fans eh??

I don't understand your point? You admitted there was gross discontent in the stands at Stoke to the point where fans were booing and chanting for the manager to leave. The Gazette are asking the questions a vast proposition (if not majority) want answers to.

I don't understand your point? You admitted there was gross discontent in the stands at Stoke to the point where fans were booing and chanting for the manager to leave. The Gazette are asking the questions  a vast proposition (if not majority) want answers to.

The Northern Echo did a poll after the Stoke game. (I saw the poll on their website. Perhaps you could somehow do it on Twitter too?):

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15134228.Does_Karanka_still_have_your_support_Boro_fans__Take_part_in_our_poll_and_see_how_fans_reacted_on_Twitter/

I accept that so close after the game it's perhaps a bit 'knee-jerk'. If the poll was done now there would be less emotion involved..... and the results would be a bit different.

The N.E poll also doesn't say how many votes were cast.

However, it's probably the closest thing we've got to evidence re: minority/majority wanting answers or possibly asking questions about AK isn't it??

I don't like polls in papers like this. The people that take the survey are those that want to vent ,one way or the other. You'd get very different results if you asked a random 100 people

I don't like polls in papers like this.   The people that take the survey are those that want to vent ,one way or the other. You'd get very different results if you asked a random 100 people

Yes, I totally agree with you mate.

It was just a BIT of evidence that there could be quite a few fans who have questions about AK moving forwards - Hence the piece in the Gazette perhaps?

(Also, Billy and Humpty were briefly mentioning whether it was a minority or majority that do).

Regardless...... I wasn't trying to stir a pot. Just putting it out there.

Cheers.

I don't like polls in papers like this.   The people that take the survey are those that want to vent ,one way or the other. You'd get very different results if you asked a random 100 people

Yes, I totally agree with you mate.

It was just a BIT of evidence that there could be quite a few fans who have questions about AK moving forwards - Hence the piece in the Gazette perhaps?

(Also, Billy and Humpty were briefly mentioning whether it was a minority or majority that do).

Regardless...... I wasn't trying to stir a pot. Just putting it out there.

Cheers.

No didn't think you were :)

There is definately a growing discontent. What percentage who knows it always seems like more when your at the game ,but it's nothing 2 wins wouldn't stop in its tracks. Not sure where they are coming from though

Aitor has just been asked how much will the next two games determine his future. Strange question to ask considering the FA Cup is not our priority and nobody expects us to get anything from the Man Utd game anyway. Do the Gazette know something we don't? Didn't Snowblind hint that something could happen after the Man Utd game? We also have an international break coming up, you all know how I love a good conspiracy.

They aren't excellent points, he's another one confusing the fact that we struggle to attack with being told not to attack, they're 2 different things.

As for Southgate team we had tuncay, an in prime downing, Johnson, alves all of which would walk into this team.

We have a poor team, the football hasn't ruined the season because as soon as we ended the window in September with the squad we had I knew exactly what was going to happen. The Burnley supporters never had this reaction when they were promoted and played just as bad a couple of seasons ago, they expected it and just stuck with it.

I'm not confusing anything.  You're trying to find ways to defend Karanka as are a few other people, the latest one being that our attacking issues are somehow nothing to do with him.  The team selected last weekend contained 3 attacking players.  Karanka can say whatever he likes about people pushing forwards, we don't commit to attacking and that's exactly why our defensive record is good by comparison as it happens.  We sacrifice one for the other.

Johnson did nothing the season we went down so I fail to see how he gets into this team?  It was only the season after when he blossomed with us and then left in January. Alves wouldn't walk into anything.  Tuncay was a more headless version of Ramirez. Downing and Huth would probably walk into this team.  The rest would be nowhere near it.

When Burnley were promoted the first time around it was unexpected and then they didn't spend any money as I've already pointed out to someone else.  We were expected to and we have spent some money.  The two situations are not the same even if it's become the in thing to refer to Burnley a couple of years ago as though they are who we aspire to be.  Laughable.

Does it really matter that we've spent more than Burnley did? They were an inexperienced Prem side from manager down to players and were relegated, learned their lessons and got back up and now a lot of those players are showing their Prem experience. While we have spent a decent amount of money we are still an inexperienced Prem team from manager to players. Our recruitment has been poor so while we have spent money we are still in the same position where Burnley were; an inexperienced Prem team with a manager cutting his teeth for the first time in the top division. Money apart there are a lot of similarities with inexperience being the dominant factor.

Hopefully the players that stay on board will show their experience in getting back up and staying there, and the same applies to AK if he stays.

Does it really matter that we've spent more than Burnley did? They were an inexperienced Prem side from manager down to players and were relegated, learned their lessons and got back up and now a lot of those players are showing their Prem experience. While we have spent a decent amount of money we are still an inexperienced Prem team from manager to players. Our recruitment has been poor so while we have spent money we are still in the same position where Burnley were; an inexperienced Prem team with a manager cutting his teeth for the first time in the top division. Money apart there are a lot of similarities with inexperience being the dominant factor.

Hopefully the players that stay on board will show their experience in getting back up and staying there, and the same applies to AK if he stays.

Of course it matters especially if you're trying to draw a direct comparison.  We've spent the money on experience for one thing.  Valdes, Guzan, Chambers, Barragan, Fabio, de Roon, Downing, Ramirez, Negredo, Stuani, Leadbitter all have top flight experience somewhere. Only de Roon is new to English football although Barragan's time here before was limited.  Gibson is one of the inexperienced players and is clearly good enough for this level regardless of that.

I'm staggered that people genuinely think the likes of Dean Marney, Scott Arfield, Ben Mee, George Boyd, Jeff Hendrick, Matt Lowton, Stephen Ward, Gudmundsson, Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes are better than what we have.  What a load of absolute ***e.  This isn't even fiction that people are coming out with now, it's science fiction and the sole reason for doing it is to try and make it look like Karanka is doing a better job than he is.

The thing is I'm not even talking our squad up because we clearly messed up our transfer activity. But ffs we didn't sign a load of pub players, they weren't what I wanted but they're not completely terrible and they do compare with the lesser squads in the division.  I wanted more quality to keep us out of danger and yeah we didn't sign it but this squad should still be capable of being higher than it is. The problem is we aren't giving ourselves the chance to do it because we can't score goals, can't win games and won't change a bloody thing to try and make a difference.

Of course it matters especially if you're trying to draw a direct comparison.  We've spent the money on experience for one thing.  Valdes, Guzan, Chambers, Barragan, Fabio, de Roon, Downing, Ramirez, Negredo, Stuani, Leadbitter all have top flight experience somewhere. Only de Roon is new to English football although Barragan's time here before was limited.  Gibson is one of the inexperienced players and is clearly good enough for this level regardless of that.

I'm staggered that people genuinely think the likes of Dean Marney, Scott Arfield, Ben Mee, George Boyd, Jeff Hendrick, Matt Lowton, Stephen Ward, Gudmundsson, Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes are better than what we have.  What a load of absolute ***.  This isn't even fiction that people are coming out with now, it's science fiction and the sole reason for doing it is to try and make it look like Karanka is doing a better job than he is.

The thing is I'm not even talking our squad up because we clearly messed up our transfer activity. But ffs we didn't sign a load of pub players, they weren't what I wanted but they're not completely terrible and they do compare with the lesser squads in the division.  I wanted more quality to keep us out of danger and yeah we didn't sign it but this squad should still be capable of being higher than it is. The problem is we aren't giving ourselves the chance to do it because we can't score goals, can't win games and won't change a bloody thing to try and make a difference.

Good post C.T

I also don't really understand the direct comparisons with Burnley from their last visit to the P.L. Very different scenario.

What's even more weird is that last season we all thought we were better than Burnley. And we still were with just five games to go. Suddenly this season they've become something to aspire to!!

The comparison is being made to try and make it seem like if we go down it's not such a bad thing. That's all it's about.