oneBoro Forum

New MFC Manager Thread - Garry Monk Announced

Unless we can attract a top of the range European Manager then of all the names mentioned so far my preference would be Ryan Giggs, and this is really down to the interest that would be generated if he was appointed from the football world and press.

Sunderland are ready to appoint another Scottish League experienced Manager who will not be able to attract high calibre players and on the face of it nor can we, especially on our pathetic performance last season so I guess the only worthwhile appointment at this time would be Giggs and yes I do have a chocking sensation in my throat.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With regards to Warburton at the time I felt he was a better choice than Agnew and maybe we could have benefited from a different perspective but hindsight is a wonderful thing and we will never know.

I don't see how Giggs would attract players that Monk or Pearson wouldn't, are we forgetting that Giggs has absolutely no managerial experience? He doesn't have a great reputation as assistant manager at United, with people saying that he caused/perpetuated rifts in their squad for his own gain. He may well go on to be a brilliant manager, I really don't want us to be the ones to take the risk though.

I think time has gone when a big name player now unrecognised manager can attract top talent because of his name. Now it's all about money and career opportunities. If a foreign player sees the Championship as a good stepping stone we are the best available. If he doesn't he won't come regardless of Giggs' name on the door.

I don't see how Giggs would attract players that Monk or Pearson wouldn't, are we forgetting that Giggs has absolutely no managerial experience? He doesn't have a great reputation as assistant manager at United, with people saying that he caused/perpetuated rifts in their squad for his own gain. He may well go on to be a brilliant manager, I really don't want us to be the ones to take the risk though.

I think people are of the mindset that Giggs could attract players in a similar way to how Robson did. But I feel as though the way that the game has moved on in twenty years, people are much wiser to the fact that having a big name and a distinguished playing career doesn't make you a great manager. Foreign players can now watch the PL week in, week out, so they will recognise players' names from Sergio Aguero to Adam Forshaw, the pull of a big managerial name will be less important.

Of that 'big name ex player' group, if we were to bring in Gary Neville, I think that would fill me with more confidence, because at least we've seen through his media work that he clearly knows the tactical side of the game. Giggs would be a complete risk. Im not saying I'd take either, but he'd make more sense to me that Giggs would.

If we are going down the 'rookie but big name' route why do we have to choose Giggs?

The world is our oyster I bet there are loads of big name ex players looking to get into management. I've heard Seedorf mentioned, what about Xavi Alonso who's just retired, how about Philip Lahm.

Bergkamp is starting his career off in coaching. Patrick Viera maybe?

I'm not saying we should go for a rookie, but if we do i can think of loads of high profile foreign coaches who'll have contacts all around Europe.

Giggs has absolutely zero personality and I wouldn't trust the bloke after his off pitch antics.

Ive never been sure his name would have much pulling power anyway, maybe to younger players from league 1 or something but I doubt some half decent German striker would be desperate for a move just to work with giggs. If anything he seems kind of irrelevant.

Viera would be a good one to go for but I bet he's on a fortune working for city.

I'm wondering if Gibson also feels a bit underwhelmed about monk and Pearson?

Dragging on a bit now and I rekon we'd have one of them if he really wanted, the rumours about Wagner being our main guy looking like they were spot on.

Dragging on a bit now and I rekon we'd have one of them if he really wanted, the rumours about Wagner being our main guy looking like they were spot on.

Wagner definitely won't be coming now let's be honest with ourselves.

He didn't say Wagner would be coming, read it again.

He said Wagner may have been the one Gibson wanted initially. I definitely think there's something in it.

However, just because Monk or Pearson aren't first choice does not necessarily mean that Gibbo is underwhelmed by them. Just that he wanted to see all available options once the playoffs had been decided before making the call.

He didn't say Wagner would be coming, read it again.

He said Wagner may have been the one Gibson wanted initially. I definitely think there's something in it.

However, just because Monk or Pearson aren't first choice does not necessarily mean that Gibbo is underwhelmed by them. Just that he wanted to see all available options once the playoffs had been decided before making the call.

I know what he wrote but there was a theory going around Wagner was coming no matter what even if Huddersfield went up.