oneBoro Forum

New MFC Manager Thread - Garry Monk Announced

So you're disregarding 2 full seasons of his < 3 full years of experience as a manager? Seems sensible. Why bother looking at his accomplishments as a manager?

To say him and Agnew would both be the same is, to be frank, ridiculous.

If you're being Frank can I be Will to try and finally bring some credibility to the name?

Yes, but be aware that with great power comes great responsibility.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gazette just done a video on why Monk would be a good fit. I reckon were just sorting the finer issues out

Probably deciding if Agnew stays on as tea boy or cleaner

They also said "he's still speaking to other candidates". Which would suggest he's spoke to Monk and wasn't immediately impressed.

Sorry I'm just not blinded by this 8th in the premier league finish or having Leeds in the play offs for a couple of months.

There might be some truth to this after all, Ever since I read the swans forum's view on GM, was dumbfounded to begin with. I couldn't help myself from asking them directly if GM would be a right choice for us, this is what they had to say. 

https://thejack.army/threads/monk-resigns-from-leeds.13734/page-2

Just one man's thoughts [uSER=2124]canboro[/uSER] but I'd say Monk is just who you don't want. I won't go on into detail about:

• all the Spanish players who we had with finesse and technical prowess who he dumped because he didn't know how to manage a split between Spanish versus English speakers and styles (ironically Pablo Hernandez who played so well for Monk at Leeds was one of them!), or 

• about the defense at all costs strategy he used to supplant our attractive, on-the-ground possession game (thus making most games as boring to watch as Middlesborough this season), or 

• his back-stabbing of two managers (Sousa and Laudrup) when he was captain, or 

• his unwillingness to take the blame for any of the team's failures (he just blamed the players and said they "had to work harder"), or 

• his failure to lift the dressing room when we went into a slump (seems the same happened at Leeds at the end of the season), or 

• his over-sized ego that led to a backroom staff of yes men (and a useless tit of an assistant manager Clotet).

I will say that from what I saw of Middlesborough this past season you need a manager who can get the team out of the defense at all costs strategy and implement an attacking style that might yield a few goals. Gary Monk is not your man for this task. When he was briefly successful with us it was largely with one-goal wins and draws and we never really looked convincing as an attacking force. You missed the chance I'm afraid to get Marco Silva who probably could have made the transformation for you. Good luck and if you do end up with Monk he might manage to get you out of the Championship with defense and hoofball, but get rid of him as soon as you're in the Premier League!

Hi Canboro, I think we at Swansea can tell you more about Monk than anyone.Firstly not to be trusted,(Read his book) With quotes like " I was glad Sousa never got us promoted to the Premiership because he didn't deserve to ". That's a Swansea player telling that to Swans fans,admitting he was running back to the chairman telling him the training was inadequate,a run of the mill Championship defender telling the chairman a world class defender (Again Sousa) doesn't know what hes doing.If he does join you,then for your sake I hope you do well,but if thing start to go tits up you the fans must be ready to take the blame,as he will try and blame everyone and everything rather than himself.

ps. Good luck for the coming season.

Don't know what to make of this......

Gazette just done a video on why Monk would be a good fit. I reckon were just sorting the finer issues out

Probably deciding if Agnew stays on as tea boy or cleaner

They also said "he's still speaking to other candidates". Which would suggest he's spoke to Monk and wasn't immediately impressed.

Not necessarily. If you have organised 5 people to come in for an interview, and think the first one is excellent, you don't just tell the other 4 to bugger off.

I said on this thread about six weeks ago that I didnt like Monk because of the way he led the players revolt against Laudrup. It seems like it wasnt the first time hes done that either.

I remember his first press conference after Laudrup left Swansea and he really went to town on him, I thought then that he was a very classless man.

Maybe if he gets the job we need to give him the benefit of doubt because people can change. Saying that if he plays negative, defensive football the fans will be on his back pretty quickly.

I said on this thread about six weeks ago that I didnt like Monk because of the way he led the players revolt against Laudrup. It seems like it wasnt the first time hes done that either.

I remember his first press conference after Laudrup left Swansea and he really went to town on him, I thought then that he was a very classless man.

Maybe if he gets the job we need to give him the benefit of doubt because people can change. Saying that if he plays negative, defensive football the fans will be on his back pretty quickly.

Maybe Pearson and Agnew doesnt sound that bad after all.

Perhaps we should stick with Agnew, if there is any truth in those comments. :(

Oh god there must be someone else surely!!!

Just cut out the middleman and appoint our very own version of Monk.  Step forward Stewart Downing, player manager.

Perhaps we should stick with Agnew, if there is any truth in those comments. :(

Maybe I'm biased but in an 'Ideal world' I would have given Agnew atleast a full season with Boro before I judged and sent him packing. From what's been coming out He walked into a Zero Sum game when he was appointed.

Agnew isn't completely separate from what happened before Karanka left don't forget.

I don't think we saw enough improvement with Agnew to suggest he is worth a chance.

Agnew isn't completely separate from what happened before Karanka left don't forget.

I don't think we saw enough improvement with Agnew to suggest he is worth a chance.

I concur, in the end results don't lie. But considering the behind the scenes turmoil with Team AK vs Team Teesside, with all the stories now coming out about Orta trying to take team meetings with 'his players' after the Man-U game screams alot of nasty stuff behind the curtain. Maybe if he didn't take a default vanilla stance in press conferences and was more forthcoming about the real issues he was having to deal with, we might view him differently. Maybe he always destined to be the bridegroom never the bride.