oneBoro Forum

New MFC Manager Thread - Garry Monk Announced

Mixed feelings about this appointment but like all Boro fans it is time to get behind him and give him time to show his worth.

I am encouraged that SG was impressed with his "vision" during the interview stage, something we all have to wait and see but I am inclined to agree with CT's take on things in that I really do not have the confidence in the remaining group of players who took a hammering last season turning things around and suddenly becoming the threat we all hope they will be.

I have often stated my desire for the trusty trio to be disbanded as I believe that this is the core of our problems moving ahead, many of the forum rave about Clayton I have to admit I do not see that in him, steady yes but nothing more and certainly not a match winner. My opinion of Forshaw is that he was given far too much time to prove himself and simply did not cut it and as far as Leadbitter is concerned I just want him to go to pastures new.

So I hope that the flair and attacking policy that our Chairman indicated he wanted comes to fruition and that Garry Monk does prepare a team that will "smash the league" however I do not see him getting more out of Downing than Karanka or Agnew.

I honestly feel he has a hard task ahead of him and therefore I hope he can be ruthless in the way he deals with some of our supposed "super stars"

Totally agree with this. Our midfield has to be completely revamped, even if this means starting from scratch. Okay, AK had us playing defensive football and relying on the counter-attack, but I actually can't remember the time when we were consistently playing really aggressive, attacking football. We need a midfield that controls the game and feeds our strikers - preferably scoring the odd goal themselves. Over the years, we have had some good strikers playing for us, but at times the service to them has been woefully poor.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, our midfield needs to be more progressive, but it still wouldn't make any sense to get rid of one of the best DMs in this league, considering Clayton probably wouldn't command a fee big enough for it to make sense. The rest of them I won't mind losing or being backup players. De Roon because he is going to bring in a lot of money and we don't really need Clayton, De Roon, Leadbitter and De Sart to fill in one DM spot, Use the De Roon money top get someone progressive to slot in next to Clayton. Someone who will link up play between our defence and our front 4 players.

I'm quite content with Monk’s appointment. He’s a young manager that’s had a lot of experience in a relatively short period of time. He’s someone that can grow with the club as invariably needs to happen due to the requisite re-build. I think there’s a lot to be said for the comparisons between Monk and Karanka and their style of play, however given the remit from Gibson to build a team with a bit more creativity and flair, I can’t for the life of me imagine Monk will come in and play a dour Karanka style of football. To be fair if Karanka came in with the same remit now (hypothetically not having managed us previously) I don’t think he would either (I don’t know if I’m giving him too much credit?). Let’s see what happens, but I’m optimistic.

What time is the press conference?

Half 11 I think mate.

Is that 10:30 GMT? Can't find if it will be live on the Gazette or the website - does anyone know?

I don't get the get rid of the whole midfield idea. We have a midfield in Clayton leadbitter and forshaw that got us promoted With the exception of leadbitter they will be better players now after a season in the premier Ok they failed in the premier league but we aren't ther now. If we keep the basis of the team that got promotion and add attacking flair and goals we must stand a great chance

I don't get the get rid of the whole midfield idea.  We have a midfield in Clayton leadbitter and forshaw that got us promoted   With the exception of leadbitter they will be better players now after a season in the premier   Ok they failed in the premier league but we aren't ther now.  If we keep the basis of the team that got promotion and add attacking flair and goals we must stand a great chance

Agreed, "don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

We have a strong Squad for the Championship with more flair and pace in the front 4 than the promotion side already, any additions should be quality not quantity.....Helder Costa please or someone very similar.

Who wants to play a bit of Garry Monk press conference buzz-word bingo?

My starting quotes, rep point for each one that is said:

"As soon as I spoke with the chairman there was only one place I wanted to go"

"This is a premier league club"

"If you look around, the facilities are premier league quality"

"I've inherited a great squad"

"Looking forward to working with a great chairman"

Any more?