oneBoro Forum

If the worst should happen

The interesting thing about this thread is that if the worst happens then such and such might happen but what happens if the worst doesn't happen is arguably just as dramatic. If we actually stay up this squad still needs gutting really so one way or another you'd expect big changes in the summer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting thing about this thread is that if the worst happens then such and such might happen but what happens if the worst doesn't happen is arguably just as dramatic. If we actually stay up this squad still needs gutting really so one way or another you'd expect big changes in the summer.

Completely agree on this, who do we actually have that has made the grade?

Gibson - who'd probably be off regardless

Valdes - very good but aging and only has one year left on his contract

Chambers - would he stay if we stayed up? I think he'll have bigger suitors

Fabio - has been good and I'd be reasonably happy with him at right back or left back for another season.

Negredo - same as Chambers really. Would he stay? Would we want him to stay.

Clayton - limited but does his job and could carry on in that position.

De Roon - again limited but does what is asked.

That's about it in terms of players I'd consider starting in our first eleven for another season. Worrying.

The interesting thing about this thread is that if the worst happens then such and such might happen but what happens if the worst doesn't happen is arguably just as dramatic.  If we actually stay up this squad still needs gutting really so one way or another you'd expect big changes in the summer.

Totally agree here but isn't that the case with all promoted clubs. It is very rare for a promoted club to the premiership to waltz through the league to the extent they would have a ready made squad for the next season. No , the general rule is that you stay up and steadily add quality over a period of time until you have players who are premiership proven in every position. 

If we go down this season it just means the journey to that point will be longer but the destination will still be the same

Fabio - has been good and I'd be reasonably happy with him at right back or left back for another season.

That's about it in terms of players I'd consider starting in our first eleven for another season. Worrying.

I'd also expect some of our younger signings to kick on if that were the case. Fischer should be pushing for more game time and traore should feel the benefit of this season in order to kick on. We aren't a million miles away and the fact we have the 4th best defense in the league shows where we need to prioritize (just in case anyone hadn't noticed... :p )

If we do stay up I'd also expect to get another year out if big Ben if I'm honest.

I'd like to believe Fischer could kick on but he's done the square root of f all so far to convince me that he can. He's got no outstanding qualities and doesn't seem to know what his own game is to me (by that I mean when he gets the ball I don't think he knows what he really wants to do with it).

Traore with a long, intense pre season could be ready to start consistently, but then again it's just as likely that he wouldn't be...

Yes I know what you're saying. But there have been plenty of young players who've come from abroad and taken a season or two to come good. That's the hope I'm clinging on to! He was so highly thought of only a few years ago and is a regular for Denmark so the lad must have something about him.

To be fair to Fisher he started to kick on in that Liverpool game but then got injured and has had a set back.

He's young, coming back from injury, playing out of position, in a new league in a struggling team. We shouldn't put that much pressure on him at the moment.

We've gambled with young guns over experience and it's backfired this season.

I'd also expect some of our younger signings to kick on if that were the case. Fischer should be pushing for more game time and traore should feel the benefit of this season in order to kick on. We aren't a million miles away and the fact we have the 4th best defense in the league shows where we need to prioritize (just in case anyone hadn't noticed... :p )

If we do stay up I'd also expect to get another year out if big Ben if I'm honest.

I don't think our defence is that good man for man really. I attribute the fact we don't concede many to us being unwilling/unable/*** scared to commit men forward. I think if we are to adopt a more attacking game we would obviously start leaking a few more goals. So because the defence would be more exposed, it might turn out that we would in fact need better individuals back there to compensate for the new found lack of protection that would naturally occur, due to us being more forward thinking.

Can I be honest? I really feel that there is enough time to turn this around and the whole point of this thread will possibly change but again if I am honest there are only about 5 players there that I would want to see next time round.

Ben Gibson will be sold for as much money as possible and Traroe will go to the highest bidder.

Sorry for being a spoilsport but for me just a bit early for the thread as I still have some inner belief that the fat lady has not began to sing yet

Having a sleepless night, has given me a chance to chew right down to the bone,This is what I think has happened, we have basically, a top half championship side Punching above its weight 

in the premier league so we spend 1 season being slapped around by the big boys,then relegation with that comes 2 years parachute payments, :D now the trick is can we keep that top half championship side intact :rolleyes: I think we can. Ok I'll get my coat

I'd like to believe Fischer could kick on but he's done the square root of f all so far to convince me that he can. He's got no outstanding qualities and doesn't seem to know what his own game is to me (by that I mean when he gets the ball I don't think he knows what he really wants to do with it).

Traore with a long, intense pre season could be ready to start consistently, but then again it's just as likely that he wouldn't be...

He is a forward. Not a winger. He has never impressed playing as a winger for Denmark and Ajax fans doesn't think he is one either. If we go down I'd really like to see him beside, or just behind, either Gestede or Bamford. He is an excellent finisher but needs to play centrally and not out wide. If Gaston isn't up for it for the rest of the season I'd much rather play Fischer, as a careless Gaston is just useless.

I know it does not count but a few of us saw the way Fischer ran the Villa friendly game, best player on the park and guess what he played middle of the field and had some scope as to where he played across the pitch. The goal he scored was quality too, the boy has ability but sadly like others it is being sucked out of him

Although Fischer hasn't been great I don't think he has had the luxury of being given a run in the team. He seems to play one game then out for 3. It must be hard to adapt and find your feet under those circumstances. You can see in flashes there's a good player there but I'm not sure he will get the luxury of a 4-5 game run to show if he can step up.