oneBoro Forum

Boro v Man City (FA Cup) Quarter Final 0-2

Shane to go out of the cup. Would have been nice to have a trip to wembley but Man City just had too much for us sadly. They sliced us apart time after time and some great saves from voldemort kept the score respectable.

Gestede was having a really good game before he had to go off. Much prefer him to negredo. Rudy seemed to win every single header he went for and created a few half chances. Negredo did nowt.

The team fought well in general, but we needed to close city down better, especially early on. They were making mistakes when we did eventually start harrying them a bit.

Ref was pretty poor today as well. He seemed to wait and see what the city players thought of every boro foul before he got his yellow out. But you're allowed to take Traore out 4 or 5 times without a yellow.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly whatever plans AK had were undone within the first few minutes and I no longer see any point pointing fingers at anyone.

For a while we showed some true fight without success but that dwindles off as soon as the second goal was scored.

We could and should have been thrashed because clearly a lot of players were simply playing their own individual game and did not seem to recognise they were part of a team, in fact at times it seemed akin to a schoolboys game everyone round the ball and nothing coming from it.

The close up shots of SG spoke volumes, puffing of cheeks, rolling his eyes and bewildered in what he was watching like the rest of us.

Some encouraging aspects at time but sadly confirmed that this squad of players is no longer a team, the team sheet difference between us and City indicated that City were taking this very seriously, ours to begin with simply indicated that we had hoped to grind out a win be it over 90 mins or 120 minutes.

Final chance of gaining some credibility gone again with a whimper.

Sorry but that is how I saw it though I had thought that AK may very well have decided that I will not make changes because my way is the right way, every commentator had mentioned that Boro needed to change their tactics to have any chance of survival or to get back into the game.

Said to my lad that if we could have got back on level terms we did stand a chance because City are not that secure at the back but then I was reminded "Dad we do not score goals do we"?

Noticeable that there was not one single usual chant for Aitor Karanka

We played against a much better team and we lost to a much better team.  I could leave it at that but I wouldn't want to deprive people of my more considered thoughts as I know how much everyone looks forward to reading them  :dodgy:

The early goal screwed us immediately.  If we were going to have a chance in this then we needed to keep things close and if possible get ahead.  Conceding so early pretty much meant game over before we'd even got going.  City were too quick for us really throughout the game.  We could have gone in at half time a few goals behind but at 1-0 we still had some interest in the game.  I'd wondered if we'd see anything different in the second half with us trying to be a bit more positive but we weren't and if anything City became more dominant.  By the end of the game the 2-0 scoreline flattered us as it should have been half a dozen.

Positives today, and I think there were some, would be Guzan making a few good saves.  Coming in after not playing for a while he did ok albeit he spilled one or two shots as well.  I thought Gibson did ok considering he had no help at all from anyone in that back four today and next to no help from the midfield in front of him.  I'll give de Roon a mention because you can't fault his effort and I liked the fact that he had a go at that soft ***e Otamendi as well.  Gestede won a few in the air before he went off so I'll count that as well.

As expected the negatives outweigh the positives unfortunately.  The back four were poor Gibson aside.  Neither fullback could handle their respective flanks although Fabio worked hard enough. They certainly weren't helped by the shower playing in front of them however.  Stuani was abysmal today.  At fault for the first goal, should have been at fault for another one as well and when he had a chance with a free header it went straight at their keeper.  Traore on the other side was garbage with and without the ball.  In the middle of the park things weren't much better.  Leadbitter shouldn't be anywhere near the team.  Giving the ball away cheaply and being miles off the pace isn't much use to us.  I feel for him because he clearly wants to be making an impact but I just don't think he's got it at this level.  Right attitude but it looks to be too much for him.  The injuries are a bloody nightmare, when it rains it really pours and another game without a goal.

Overall the result went the way we expected it to and performance went the way I expected it to.  It's clear that Karanka has no intention of trying anything different so we're going to sink or swim doing exactly what we've done all season.  No Bamford on the bench again, which says something although I'm not sure what exactly.  Nice to see Ramirez still getting a chance though after his 'efforts' last week.  I notice Husband found himself on the bench as well, I guess City is an easier game than Palace.  Well that and the stuff going on with Downing of course.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Edit - my MOTM was the groundsman. It was a stroke of genius to make the pitch so wet and slippy that the City players kept falling over. Probably saved us two or three goals. Good work.

"Has Gaston Ramirez showed more fight than Bamford and Downing?"

"Much more."

That's not going to help matters is it.

:D

@JonathonTaylor1

Decision to leave out Downing / Bamford tactical, apparently. Asked if the latter will play for the Under-23s... not likely! #Boro #Borolive

Great so we can have another player that just sits twiddling his thumbs getting less and less match fit so he can never be used because he's not match sharp - but he can't get match sharpness because he never gets to play for the u23s.

Excellent man management again.

Sadly whatever plans AK had were undone within the first few minutes and I no longer see any point pointing fingers at anyone.

For a while we showed some true fight without success but that dwindles off as soon as the second goal was scored.

We could and should have been thrashed because clearly a lot of players were simply playing their own individual game and did not seem to recognise they were part of a team, in fact at times it seemed akin to a schoolboys game everyone round the ball and nothing coming from it.

The close up shots of SG spoke volumes, puffing of cheeks, rolling his eyes and bewildered in what he was watching like the rest of us.

Some encouraging aspects at time but sadly confirmed that this squad of players is no longer a team, the team sheet difference between us and City indicated that City were taking this very seriously, ours to begin with simply indicated that we had hoped to grind out a win be it over 90 mins or 120 minutes.

Final chance of gaining some credibility gone again with a whimper.

Sorry but that is how I saw it though I had thought that AK may very well have decided that I will not make changes because my way is the right way, every commentator had mentioned that Boro needed to change their tactics to have any chance of survival or to get back into the game.

Said to my lad that if we could have got back on level terms we did stand a chance because City are not that secure at the back but then I was reminded "Dad we do not score goals do we"?

Noticeable that there was not one single usual chant for Aitor Karanka

I agree with this.

We seem to playing like a group of individuals rather than a team. Its simply not good enough.

I like karanka but i dont think he can change this.

@JonathonTaylor1

Decision to leave out Downing / Bamford tactical, apparently. Asked if the latter will play for the Under-23s... not likely! #Boro #Borolive

Apart from injuries all choices are tactical

Oh come on, there was nothing encouraging about that and whatever AK's plans were wouldn't have made *** all difference.

We were sliced apart time and time again. Had it not been for some decent saves, some decent last ditch defending by Gibson and poor finishing, we'd have been annihilated.

Anyone who thinks we put in even an ounce of fight is kidding themselves. We offered nothing.

A posetive for me was Ramirez. I thought he looked good when he came on. If he can play like that for the rest of the season we have a chance against the lesser teams

Oh come on, there was nothing encouraging about that and whatever AK's plans were wouldn't have made *** all difference.

We were sliced apart time and time again. Had it not been for some decent saves, some decent last ditch defending by Gibson and poor finishing, we'd have been annihilated.

Anyone who thinks we put in even an ounce of fight is kidding themselves. We offered nothing.

Do you think we could of done better with a different manager or different tactics against man city?

Clayton put tackle after tackle in. Some of them not fair but still, de Roon ran his socks off. As did Fabio and Gibson was Gibson. Is that not what you mean by fight

So I had to dip for work 5 mins before kick-off. First time I've missed a Boro game in 4-5 years, but I had it all covered and was excited to watch the replay when I got back home again.

2 mins in and I turned that sh** off ...