oneBoro Forum

Boro v Man Utd 1 ( Yes 1)-3

Was the performance more similar to Everton at home or West Ham at home?

Neither. We actually played a bit of football in the final third. We didn't really do any of that in either of those games.

We looked better going forward but we looked twice as worse at the back. We probably wouldn't have conceded 3 goals with Aitor still at the helm. Swings and roundabouts.

The Everton performance was much better in my opinion.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither. We actually played a bit of football in the final third. We didn't really do any of that in either of those games.

We looked better going forward but we looked twice as worse at the back. We probably wouldn't have conceded 3 goals with Aitor still at the helm. Swings and roundabouts.

That Valdes slip was a complete fluke, and would have happened if Aitor, Alex Ferguson or the reanimated corpse of Alf Ramsey was our manager, so I think it's hard to pin the '3 goals' thing on Agnew.

did we?? i dont think we did anymore than we did all season, i think de gea only had one, maybe two saves to make? and most of the time when we got into the final third yes we were putting balls in but almost every one was wayward.

My perception was that we had more bodies in the box.... and as such a bit more attacking intent. I'd also guess (don't have the stat) that we had more touches in the opposition box than we've averaged this season.

It will come as no surprise, but I saw a stat at the weekend that conformed that we have had the least touches in the opposition box out of all PL teams this season.

did we?? i dont think we did anymore than we did all season, i think de gea only had one, maybe two saves to make? and most of the time when we got into the final third yes we were putting balls in but almost every one was wayward.

Yes we definitely did.

If you go down anyway, it doesn't matter how few goals you concede. No one cares.

(A fact that came to my attention yesterday, when I was trying to find a published 'stat' for the 'record for the fewest goals conceded by a relegated team'. I actually couldn't find it anywhere).

Eventually I went through all the final PL tables, and worked it out myself (which I posted on 'Other Boro Stuff') but it was a bit of a long winded post, and most people had fallen asleep before they'd read through half of it.

It was better. But still not a good enough standard for any other result then relegation.

We look shackled with 3 CMs. We don't have enough quality on the wings to play these tested systems (apparently Downing gave the ball away 27 times). Ramirez is happier and better as a #10, and needs to play (his work rate was good vs Utd). The defence has looked more vulnerable recently, so playing 2 CBs and 2 CMs from the off wouldn't make sense to me. And we look more of a threat with 2 strikers.

I know it's not popular, but still think 3-4-3 is the way forward for us, based largely on the players we have in our squad. Of course the other teams who have used this have far greater quality, but we've seen how they maintained a nice balance of solidity and goals playing this way. The main question mark would be how Traore would perform defensively, as well as his end product when crossing, but I think it's worth a risk since he has looked lost as a standard winger, we need his pace and his offensive role would be more defined - get forward, wide and cross (less decision making, more options to cross to).

------------------------- Valdes -------------------------

----------- Chambers - Ayala - Gibson -----------

- Traore ------- Clayton - De Roon ----- Fabio -

------------------------ Ramirez ------------------------

------------------ Stuani - Negredo ------------------

As for CB, we have players who can fill in whilst we have injuries. Barragan may not be flavour of the month, but he started the season well as CB. Bernado too might benefit from the extra support. Bamford or Gestede would be fine alternatives for Stuani as well.

I'd take pretty much any starting system right now with two up top, especially going into our next 4 'winnable' games. We need to give it a go as we're going down with a whimper. But this formation/personnel is my preference for several reasons.

That Valdes slip was a complete fluke, and would have happened if Aitor, Alex Ferguson or the reanimated corpse of Alf Ramsey was our manager, so I think it's hard to pin the '3 goals' thing on Agnew.

We all know that within AKs 80 page dossier there was a section on not falling over infront of goal. Come on Aggers sort your dossier out man!

I can't agree that Ramirez is better at #10, because the evidence is simply not there in the premier league. His best performances this season have come from wide left.

My perception was that we had more bodies in the box.... and as such a bit more attacking intent. I'd also guess (don't have the stat) that we had more touches in the opposition box than we've averaged this season.

It will come as no surprise, but I saw a stat at the weekend that conformed that we have had the least touches in the opposition box out of all PL teams this season.

we had more bodies in, of that i have no doubt. but we had the exact same problem in the final third- the killer ball. our crossing was really poor, almost always over hit, and there were only one or two clever through balls played. i seen absolutely no difference in the level of football in the final third.

we had more bodies in, of that i have no doubt. but we had the exact same problem in the final third- the killer ball. our crossing was really poor, almost always over hit, and there were only one or two clever through balls played. i seen absolutely no difference in the level of football in the final third.

OK. I agree we don't really 'DO' clever through balls in the way that the likes of Fabregas or Hazard might do (various other top teams' players apply). However, for those to work you have to a). have a bunch of players on the same wavelength (ie. high ability), and b). be attacking with some decent pace/intent. We don't really do/have either.

However, the fact that we were getting more bodies in to the box was a positive improvement. It can lead to scrappy goals, the likes of which we scored. (With no one in the box we're never going to).

I also don't disagree that our final ball is still no good... but that's not going to change until we buy Sigurdsson during the summer, when Swansea have gone down :P

Everything in bold is an improvement on previous.

OK. I agree we don't really 'DO' clever through balls in the way that the likes of Fabregas or Hazard might do (various other top teams' players apply). However, for those to work you have to a). have a bunch of players on the same wavelength (ie. high ability), and b). be attacking with some decent pace/intent. We don't really do/have either.

However, the fact that we were getting more bodies in to the box was a positive improvement. It can lead to scrappy goals, the likes of which we scored. (With no one in the box we're never going to).

I also don't disagree that our final ball is still no good... but that's not going to change until we buy Sigurdsson during the summer, when Swansea have gone down  :P

Absolutely. That was the most positive aspect once Rudy came on, for me.

Everything in bold is an improvement on previous.

only the first is for me. weve always been putting lots of poor balls in that lacked imagination. its not an improvement to put lots of poor quality, lacking imagination hit and hope balls.

one or two clever balls is not an improvement becauae we did that in every other match this season. weve always had one or two really good moments in every game. the problem has always been doing this consistently and nothing changed on sunday with regards to that.

we can continue to put more bodies in the box but without the quality needed well be relying on pure luck while opening ourselves up in other areas of the pitch.

No i don't think we did. Our goal came courtesy of a cross, Negredo should've scored from Ramirez cross...so that's at least two genuine goal scoring chances off the top of my head that came from our "poor" crossing. I haven't looked at the stats but i'd wager a fairly large sum that we put in more crosses in that game than any of the last 10 or so if not all season.

We certainly got more men in the box than usual and as a result we created more chances. So i'm going to have to disagree with you.

but whats the point if the majority of the crosses are going wayward? yes we created two chances from crosses, but we've created chances in every single game this season, just not enough - people seem to be thinking that we never ventured past the half way line under ak but we did, just nowhere near enough.

the only difference i saw yesterday was that towards the end we had two big men in the box. which is good. but when our quality in tbe final third remains as poor as it has been, were a no more effective unit.

first half and first 20mins of the second half we were as poor as we have been all season.