oneBoro Forum

Boro v Man Utd 1 ( Yes 1)-3

If I was SA I would be urging Traroe to get into the penalty box as much as possible be it from the bye line or going directly through the middle, one he will create spaces for other team mates but certainly will be brought down in and around the PB, I am certain we could have half a dozen penalties between now and end of season to score from

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Set plays are going to be key to our survival!

We have little to no ability to create anything from open play so during this international break we need to work on set plays and looking threatening from them!

If that's the case, I don't hold out a lot of hope. Our set pieces get worse each time we play.

Yesterday's performance was rudderless, all we did was try and play the ball early into the oppositions penalty area, it was almost as though Agnew had told the players to play more positively but without any real plan, the result, a load of over hit crosses coupled with the usual slow midfield side to side passing and a few optimistic long balls. The players didn't look happy, Traore didn't raise a smile when we scored, Gibbo looked tetchy and the defence was all over the place.

The team performed much better in the game at Old Trafford than they did yesterday.

We were mediocre and I really don't see how anyone can improve the team with the players that we have. We are seriously short of alternatives in all areas of the pitch, we lack pace and vision and our lack of movement is shocking.

I don't see any hope for survival and I watched a team that thinks the same. . The score was faltering given United could have been five up. Wasted balls in the box especially to the far back post. But a bit more enthusiasm but that's about it. The last goal about sums up our luck too.

Set plays are going to be key to our survival!

We have little to no ability to create anything from open play so during this international break we need to work on set plays and looking threatening from them!

If that's the case, I don't hold out a lot of hope. Our set pieces get worse each time we play.

Yesterday's performance was rudderless, all we did was try and play the ball early into the oppositions penalty area, it was almost as though Agnew had told the players to play more positively but without any real plan, the result, a load of over hit crosses coupled with the usual slow midfield side to side passing and a few optimistic long balls. The players didn't look happy, Traore didn't raise a smile when we scored, Gibbo looked tetchy and the defence was all over the place.

The team performed much better in the game at Old Trafford than they did yesterday.

We were mediocre and I really don't see how anyone can improve the team with the players that we have. We are seriously short of alternatives in all areas of the pitch, we lack pace and vision and our lack of movement is shocking.

To be fair to the players Billy, they have been coached to play a specific defensive style for the last three years. Without some sort of change we were heading down.

I think it's going to take time to adapt to a more attacking approach. We might not have that time.

However, if the players had been told to play a bit more positively, then at least that's something. IMO.

I actually DID think that yesterday was a bit better.... each to their own I guess.

We played slightly differently, but I wouldn't say that we were better.

Our defence was all over the place, much worse than usual, even Gibbo had a bad game and I don't think I've seen Valdes as busy all season.

Sure we lumped a few early balls in to the box, but to no great effect. Negredo had a couple of headers, but he seems to have a weird affliction which means that he always glances the ball sideways rather than forward, his attacking headers are really odd.

I didn't see anything to get excited about.

SA has the same group of players that were already available to AK no-one can deny that, from now on it is how they are used.

I understand what members are saying about no real changes but I did see signs that we are not dead and buried. He had precious little time to make wholesale changes in tactic and formation but he was far quicker with his changes.

Going to add something that perhaps many will not agree with but the second half of the game would have been perfect for Jordon Rhodes, I really do wish he was still available to us due to his ability in and around the penalty box, and his heading ability, he might have taken that chance when Negredo slipped after we scored and maybe taken the first half chance better when Barragan should have gone for a shot on goal instead of passing it.

I do hope SA will encourage more shots at goal when the opportunity is there to test a keeper

When I saw the line up yesterday after the game I was dissapointed to see 433.

But on reflection, it would have been crazy to make whole sale changes to a team.

However, I would expect a different shape after the 2 week international break.

I'd love a 442

Valdes

Fabio Chambers Gibson Friend

Downing Clayton De Roon Ramirez

Bamford Negredo

Downing and Negredo switching with Traore and Gestede.

Ramirez to tuck inside when going forward with Friend providing the width.

Just reviewed the game again last night, got to admit how refreshing it was to see clayton playing as a free rolling midfielder again!

His work rate was immense and was first to more or less every second ball, De-roon looked more comfortable as the sitting midfielder once leadbitter went off (I know de-roon grabbed an assist for our goal) but he was sat deep for the majority.

Additionally, I cant understand where the criticism of downing play has come from, I thought he played very well and looked a threat with his crossing from either flank.

First half he put in 1 or 2 really good crosses but we didn't have enough men in the box attacking them so made the cross look extremely poor! His experience showed throughout the game by switching play and keeping possession.

In my opinion the reason why agnew went with the 3 holding midfielders from the start was probably as that's how Karanka had set up in his training all week, and he didn't think was the opportunity to try and change it sunday.

I would question his tactics if they didn't change against Swansea,Hull and Burnley.

Sitting on the fence whether I want a new manager to come in as unfortunately I believe the damage is already done, and we are relegated!

Heard a little whisper that possibly McClaren may be coming in as a managing director and assisting with Agnew.

McClaren did this role at QPR previously so I don't think it can be ruled out, and then assess the situation in the summer.

Agnew for me definitely isn't the permanent answer.

UTB!

When I saw the line up yesterday after the game I was dissapointed to see 433.

But on reflection, it would have been crazy to make whole sale changes to a team.

However, I would expect a different shape after the 2 week international break.

I'd love a 442

Valdes

Fabio Chambers Gibson Friend

Downing Clayton De Roon Ramirez

Bamford Negredo

Downing and Negredo switching with Traore and Gestede.

Ramirez to tuck inside when going forward with Friend providing the width.

We need Gestede up front instead of Bamford. We are so bad at attacking we simply just have to use two big men up front and go more route one. No more of this slow and useless passing between our players until the other team has had time to get organised.  I'd also have Traore in just to get the other team something to think about and a quick release for when we win the ball in our own half. Primitive but then we are a team mostly made up by primitive players.

Just reviewed the game again last night, got to admit how refreshing it was to see clayton playing as a free rolling midfielder again!

His work rate was immense  and was first to more or less every second ball, De-roon looked more comfortable as the sitting midfielder once leadbitter went off (I know de-roon grabbed an assist for our goal) but he was sat deep for the majority.

Additionally, I cant understand where the criticism of downing play has come from, I thought he played very well and looked a threat with his crossing from either flank.

First half he put in 1 or 2 really good crosses but we didn't have enough men in the box attacking them so made the cross look extremely poor! His experience showed throughout the game by switching play and keeping possession.

In my opinion the reason why agnew went with the 3 holding midfielders from the start was probably as that's how Karanka had set up in his training all week, and he didn't think was the opportunity to try and change it sunday.

I would question his tactics if they didn't change against Swansea,Hull and Burnley.

Sitting on the fence whether I want a new manager to come in as unfortunately I believe the damage is already done, and we are relegated!

Heard a little whisper that possibly McClaren may be coming in as a managing director and assisting with Agnew.

McClaren did this role at QPR previously so I don't think it can be ruled out, and then assess the situation in the summer.

UTB!

I'll give you that Downing was better when Gestede came on as there was something more to aim for, but before that he was poor. If we play two up front I can definately see a case for him, but only then. He isn't good enough to create anything if we only have one striker. If we play two up front we can maybe take advantage of his early crosses.

His work rate was immense  and was first to more or less every second ball, De-roon looked more comfortable as the sitting midfielder once leadbitter went off (I know de-roon grabbed an assist for our goal) but he was sat deep for the majority.

UTB!

I'll give you that Downing was better when Gestede came on as there was something more to aim for, but before that he was poor. If we play two up front I can definately see a case for him, but only then. He isn't good enough to create anything if we only have one striker. If we play two up front we can maybe take advantage of his early crosses.

Even putting Beckham in that side would struggle to create chances for 1 striker up front! Cant blame Downing for that! Negredo is only good in the air at knock downs, he doesn't attack the ball well enough to score opportunity's, Gestede is completely different....

If you watch back the first 25mins you will see downing plays 1 or 2 really good crosses at the back post which a second runner would of been able to get onto.

I agree with you moving forward that 4-4-2 is the system that we have to use.

Both Espinosa and Barragan to blame for the second goal but i thought Espinosa just lost his head. Backing off the ball in that instance is absolutely criminal. I agree Barragan should've closed him down but Espinosa gave Lingard free reign to run at the heart of the defence and shoot.

On a separate note, again i agree that Downing went missing for 30 minutes or so but he was our only real creative source with his crossing especially when Gestede came on.

To be fair, it's rather hard for defenders to "attack" the ball when the opponent is running at you directly. Normally, you'd back off and wait for the opponent to make a move. If the defender makes a move first, you're asking to look like a fool.. It was a freak goal. Sure, he could've pressured him a bit more, but it looks like lack of communication to me.

If you continue to back off a player bearing down on goal you're asking for trouble. We got what our defending deserved in that instance.

Lingaard/Rashford did him in 1st half over and over and over - I think it's only natural to back off if you receive no communication. But I agree, he should've done more regardless.