oneBoro Forum

Boro v Man Utd 1 ( Yes 1)-3

To be honest I was disappointed with Downing's general crossing I think too many were over hit and often when he wasn't under huge pressure. I would give him a run on the left wing though as I think it was an improved performance by him overall and think he is most suited to the 442 system we finished the game with.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I was disappointed with Downing's general crossing I think too many were over hit and often when he wasn't under huge pressure. I would give him a run on the left wing though as I think it was an improved performance by him overall and think he is most suited to the 442 system we finished the game with.

The commentary that I was listening to did mention high wind conditions. That could be why so many were over hit, it might also explain our dodgy corners too, although set pieces haven't been our strong point of late.

The commentary that I was listening to did mention high wind conditions. That could be why so many were over hit, it might also explain our dodgy corners too, although set pieces haven't been our strong point all season.

The commentary that I was listening to did mention high wind conditions. That could be why so many were over hit, it might also explain our dodgy corners too, although set pieces haven't been our strong point of late.

I think the positions he was crossing from contributed to him over hitting the ball as well.

I noticed a lot of the time he was crossing from deep and in line with the left hand penalty box line.

If he moved closer to the sideline, then the crosses he put in might have landed closer to the centre of the goal/penalty spot area.

Barragan should definately have closed Lingard down with Espinosa shutting space down in front of the box blocking his clear way into our box. If Barragan had closed him down instead of ball watching Lingard wouldn't have had many options.

If Espinosa had moved towards Lingard a simple sidestep would have given Lingard a free path into the area. It's a lot easier to go around a defender that is coming towards you. It was much more Barragans fault as he did nothing to help Espinosa. Barragan is just such a poor player. Really hope Friend is back soon.

Set plays are going to be key to our survival!

We have little to no ability to create anything from open play so during this international break we need to work on set plays and looking threatening from them!

Very true. It pains me when Leadbitter steps up to take them though. :/

Surely Downing or Ramirez to take corners and free-kicks. Then Ayala back in once fit.

I agree that Barragan and Espinosa were poor but in reality this just shows that they are at best squad back ups rather than first choice starters.

As for the match overall then it seems to me , and a fair few others , that 4-4-2 has to be the way forward , at least for this season. Gestede with Negredo seem the obvious 2 up top and behind them we need a supply line so Downing has to be on the left for his crossing ability and on the right it has to be Traore. In the middle I think Clayton has earned his spot and because of his ability and workrate so to has De Roon. Leaves us light of a "flair" option in the middle but unless the premier league allow us a special dispensation to play 12 players that will have to wait until we hopefully stay up

At the back Agnew needs to do everything he can to get Chambers and Friend fit as Chambers in particular has been a huge miss

Looks like we need 4 wins from Swansea, Burnley , Sunderland , Saints , Bournemouth and Hull plus maybe a draw elsewhere against the big boys. 4-4-2 will probably see us lose bigger when we do lose but also gives us the chance of the wins we need if (and its a huge if) we can get some supply to the strikers.

The fat lady aint singing yet!

I agree that Barragan and Espinosa were poor but in reality this just shows that they are at best squad back ups rather than first choice starters.

As for the match overall then it seems to me , and a fair few others , that 4-4-2 has to be the way forward , at least for this season. Gestede with Negredo seem the obvious 2 up top and behind them we need a supply line so Downing has to be on the left for his crossing ability and on the right it has to be Traore. In the middle I think Clayton has earned his spot and because of his ability and workrate so to has De Roon. Leaves us light of a "flair" option in the middle but unless the premier league allow us a special dispensation to play 12 players that will have to wait until we hopefully stay up

At the back Agnew needs to do everything he can to get Chambers and Friend fit as Chambers in particular has been a huge miss

Looks like we need 4 wins from Swansea, Burnley , Sunderland , Saints , Bournemouth  and Hull plus maybe a draw elsewhere against the big boys.  4-4-2 will probably see us lose bigger when we do lose but also gives us the chance of the wins we need if (and its a huge if) we can get some supply to the strikers.

The fat lady aint singing yet!

I see what you are saying about 442, but I'd be loathed to leave Gaston out of the side, as he seems to be getting back to his old self.

I wouldn't play him as an out and out winger or a CM, so that does throw up a problem. I guess, he could play just off Negredo. I'm not confident that Traore, Stuani or Fischer could supply crosses from the right either, I think that I'd stick with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The commentary that I was listening to did mention high wind conditions. That could be why so many were over hit, it might also explain our dodgy corners too, although set pieces haven't been our strong point all season.

Our set pieces have been terrible.

Most other teams in the league have a couple of players who can whip in really pacey, dipping corners or free kicks.

If we want to get a corner or free kick past the first man, then most of the time we seem to have to send in a high floaty cross, which makes it much harder for the players in the box to attack it with any intent.

IMO.

With ex striker Joe Jordan in and a 2 week international break, I think its an ideal opportunity to try find out just what is our best striker partnership, it may not necessarily be Negredo and Gestede.

Paul Clements side will be gearing themselves for same old Boro a side that plays 3 DM's and one striker, drop a DM play 2 up front, and lets see if Traore's pace down the right can unsettle their defence, Swansea may have been playing well of late but they've shipped a lot of goals this season.

Lets change it up, and get at them, I don't think they'll expect it.