• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Shut yer face Gomez.

We're down

Not yet. (Though I am not naive enough to assume we will do enough to prevent said event from becoming an inevitability in the foreseeable future)

It's difficult to believe in Agnew without any kind of evidence he can get us to defend and score in the same game.

I want to I just can't ... yet

Karankas success as a manager in the championship did not come instantly, it be nice to think that he had at least until the end of the season to try and find his system also bare in mind he did not pick these players we have now.

It's difficult to believe in Agnew without any kind of evidence he can get us to defend and score in the same game.

Karankas success as a manager in the championship did not come instantly, it be nice to think that he had at least until the end of the season to try and find his system also bare in mind he did not pick these players we have now.

I'm elated for the "at least we gave it a go"" and the "we got more crosses into the box" gang, i really am but Agnews  job surely was to keep us up not "see what hes like till the end of the season," he must have told Gibson he felt he could do it with these players - otherwise whats the point? 

We had won twice in the season before AK took over we then won 6 out of the next 11 to take us into Feb that season - I'd say thats reasonably quick turn around?

Id sooner have taken the three AK results against Swansea, Hull and Burnley than the Agnew ones we endured - I mean Hull scoring 4?.

Who are these people who were so disillusioned that they thought we  were going to "play with flair" and "creativity" - I knew we were in a relegation dogfight around the time our Summer transfer business was completed and I had a serious look at the fixture list, it was always going to be difficult, it wasn't going to be pretty and we were not doing a Leicester.  I'm absolutely baffled that people who supposedly follow the club had such high expectations from a team which scraped through promotion then didn't secure the transfer targets we needed. 

We are down, then we will not be mounting a promotion charge next season - that is nailed on in my book.  We will have to wait for another "Mouhrinio" to recommend someone to us and until then we will have to put up with Gibbos choices - I love Gibson but he is crap at picking players and managers but unfortunately continues to do so. This is the first season I've genuinely questioned Gibbos judgemnet and commitment as we had the £140 mil game against Brighton then spent like we had lost it not won it. There was nothing in both transfer windows which gave me a "premiership squad" feel and its shown. With maybe Deulofeu / Bojan /Snodgrass in and Ramirez booted out to  to rot - who knows how it might have went - I also thought we were getting Subotic in Jan?  I  cannot blame Agnew if we go down at all, but I'm not sure about this 100% AK's fault either or whether we can get a better Manager to replace him, promotion to the Premiership in your first attempt at management isn't too shabby at all - a lot never achieve it - ever. 

Whats the list of managers like who will;-

a, actually come to relegated Middlesbrough

b, be capable of recruiting and building a squad which get us promoted

c, attract premier league players if we go up  and keep us up

d, play football which will entertain the fans every week

I'm a bit deflated to say the least

Not sure I agree with the crap at picking managers bit

Robson was fantastic McLaren won us our first trophy

Karanka got us up

That's 50%!of his managers almost who'd be classed a success

Name me a chairman that gets it right every time

I'm elated for the "at least we gave it a go"" and the "we got more crosses into the box" gang, i really am but Agnews  job surely was to keep us up not "see what hes like till the end of the season," he must have told Gibson he felt he could do it with these players - otherwise whats the point? 

We had won twice in the season before AK took over we then won 6 out of the next 11 to take us into Feb that season - I'd say thats reasonably quick turn around?

Id sooner have taken the three AK results against Swansea, Hull and Burnley than the Agnew ones we endured - I mean Hull scoring 4?.

Who are these people who were so disillusioned that they thought we  were going to "play with flair" and "creativity" - I knew we were in a relegation dogfight around the time our Summer transfer business was completed and I had a serious look at the fixture list, it was always going to be difficult, it wasn't going to be pretty and we were not doing a Leicester.  I'm absolutely baffled that people who supposedly follow the club had such high expectations from a team which scraped through promotion then didn't secure the transfer targets we needed. 

We are down, then we will not be mounting a promotion charge next season - that is nailed on in my book.  We will have to wait for another "Mouhrinio" to recommend someone to us and until then we will have to put up with Gibbos choices - I love Gibson but he is crap at picking players and managers but unfortunately continues to do so. This is the first season I've genuinely questioned Gibbos judgemnet and commitment as we had the £140 mil game against Brighton then spent like we had lost it not won it. There was nothing in both transfer windows which gave me a "premiership squad" feel and its shown. With maybe Deulofeu / Bojan /Snodgrass in and Ramirez booted out to  to rot - who knows how it might have went - I also thought we were getting Subotic in Jan?  I  cannot blame Agnew if we go down at all, but I'm not sure about this 100% AK's fault either or whether we can get a better Manager to replace him, promotion to the Premiership in your first attempt at management isn't too shabby at all - a lot never achieve it - ever. 

I believe a very good post that covered most if not all points. BORO fell a sleep before 2017 and remained comatose while others battled on. I have no idea what SG was thinking or if there was a plan. Despite the chronic decline I believe the club actually thought we were good enough to survive.

I believe a very good post that covered most if not all points. BORO fell a sleep before 2017 and remained comatose while others battled on. I have no idea what SG was thinking or if there was a plan. Despite the chronic decline I believe the club actually thought we were good enough to survive.

We probably were good enough to survive at the start of the season. We certainly weren't in the worst three team bracket. I don't remember many in here that worried about survival. Also all the usual pundits had us down to be safe.

But we had one plan and nothing else. Once people figured that out we were screwed. Added to the fact that we stood still whilst all around us went forward that's what ruined this season imo

Spot on Uwe. Before Christmas things weren't looking too bad, we'd had good results against city and ***nal and it wasn't the time to panic. There was probably a slight complacency around January. That meant we didn't try quite so hard to recruit as some of the teams around us. That's what cost us, in my book.

I still think to a degree one of the main reasons we're down is that in games like Leicester, Watford, Swansea and Everton, we played it safe and didn't go out to win games. We just went out not to lose.

I really do believe that if we'd had a more proactive approach we would have got more points on the board from those games at least.

Not sure I agree with the crap at picking managers bit

Robson was fantastic McLaren won us our first trophy

Karanka got us up

That's 50%!of his managers almost who'd be classed a success

Name me a chairman that gets it right every time

I said unless a 'mourhinio' type recommended them - I had Mclaren as recommended by Sir Alex and Robson similar in my head, also they got who they wanted in the transfer market if I remember rightly but if I'm wrong then fair point.

I was reading through this thread a bit and decided to write a post about our survival chances. This is not so much about my opinion about whether we can stay up or not, I'm definitely leaning on the 'going down' side. It's more about showing just how big a task it is to stay up, showing a fairly unbiased view of the other team's results in the final few games and pointing out how many points we realistically need to survive.

http://www.youaremyboro.co.uk/2017/04/if-this-and-if-that-survival-chances.html

If it wasn't partly karankas fault then just explain this why could we not come from behind to win a game even in the championship last season (apart from a few exceptions)? or why did he stubbornly not play 2 strikers up front even when behind in games? or whenever someone said something karanka disagreed with they were finished at the club and with him? (read what higgy said about him) he created a dictatorship that only a chairmen should be able to create at a club.

If it wasn't partly karankas fault then just explain this why could we not come from behind to win a game even in the championship last season (apart from a few exceptions)? or why did he stubbornly not play 2 strikers up front even when behind in games? or whenever someone said something karanka disagreed with they were finished at the club and with him? (read what higgy said about him) he created a dictatorship that only a chairmen should be able to create at a club.

I'm interested in how you got "wasn't partly Karankas fault" from "not sure about this 100% AK's fault"? 

last time I knew "partly" and "100%" meant something entirely different.

Are we the only team who "stubbornly not play two strikers?"

Hows Chelsea season went with 1 striker?

I read what Higgy said, didn't Ferguson used to be the same and many managers in fact? 

I'm pretty sure most top managers have that in them, the job is to win,  if the pressure and blame lies on them to the point  where they lose their job / career then surely if someone they bring in to embrace their ways, do what is asked and the job they are actually paid to do doesn't do it then why is AK out of line for not wanting them working with them?

Something big changed in January - that is what most of us agree on, what we don't all agree on or know definitely  is exactly what happened.

Personally it would be wonderful if it was 100% AK's fault, because hes gone and it should be a very easy fix if that was the case and as a Boro fan I would welcome a complete turn around - my point is I don't see it, you can't show me anything that shows getting rid of the person who was solely to blame has fixed things - its worse, we've just took 1 point from 9 against three relegation rivals where we took 6 from 9 under AK against the same three.

In Jan we should have nailed at least two transfer targets on the list and we should have booted Ramirez to train with the kids and he could have took downing with him for all I care. We didn't and nothing that has happened since Jan has give me any encouragement.