oneBoro Forum

Boro v Manchester City 2-2

Really exciting game today and that was the best I've seen us play in a long time. Full of heart and some great counter attacking, especially in the first half.

Gutting that we couldn't win it in the end, we deserved to. Thought fabio and Clayton were Superb today. De roon pretty good as well.

Sane should be thrown off the transporter. Cheating scum!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just remembered that Kevin Friend was the referee in the game against Bournemouth a few years ago when Harry Arter dived for a penalty, just incompetent or does he not like us?

Said the same on twitter but would be nice to see Agnew get a bit of credit today, if we lost today he would certainly be getting pelted as usual.

I don't want him to get the job next year, but giving him credit where it's due is not an endorsement.

It's hard to know what to say after that, robbed I suppose comes to mind. It's not something I've said often on here as I don't believe in digging out refs but there's no ***ing way that was a penalty.

The game itself was odd in that we looked strangely confident for the most part, right from the start really. We mostly defended well but we also attacked with a purpose that has been sadly lacking for a long time. Although we almost certainly had less possession in the first half I'd be willing to bet we actually had more shots than they did and we probably wasted a few good situations as well - Downing overhitting a couple of crosses and a few other pieces of attacking play when we took the wrong option or just didn't produce the quality needed at the right moment. I felt that we actually deserved to lead at the break and I can't remember how often I've thought that this season.

The second half, predictably I suppose, was a bit different. Man City were forced into changing things early in the second half, which was to our credit. They certainly seemed to be putting us under more pressure and yet it never quite felt like we were on the verge of breaking. I'd have been tempted to bring Traore on before they scored to give us a bit more threat going the other way but I can't really fault Agnew for holding on. The penalty didn't look like a penalty to me, he kicked the ball one direction and ran into de Roon. The impressive thing though is that we didn't let our heads drop, we made a positive substitution and thankfully forced the second goal. Conceding the second as we did was disappointing and maybe we let ourselves down there but if so it was just about the only moment across the whole game where we did.

Being picky I felt that Stuani had another poor game but in fairness he was trying to link the play down the right hand side it's just that it wasn't really happening for him. I also felt that Clayton was poor in some respects. He seemed to be pushing too far on at times and allowing City players, particularly de Bruyne, to get into the space in front of our back four. However, he also did a lot of good so that really is me being picky. I think everyone else had solid enough games. Negredo ran himself into the ground it appeared and de Roon had a good showing I thought. Even he was knackered by the end and that's saying something.

The result didn't quite go the way we wanted but honestly I'd have loved to watch that team playing throughout this season. A team with that attitude, that determination and that purposefulness is light years ahead of pretty much everything else we've seen this season, even most of the other wins in my opinion. We really were a Premier League team today.

Loved the grinning face of De Roon after the penalty. Shocking refereeing today, although Forshaw should've been sent off for that challenge on De Bruyne.

I haven't read the thread, but does anyone else think the foul on Mane leading to City's 2nd goal was a tad soft? Mane throwing himself to the ground again.

It was nice seeing us play without any sort of pressure. If only we'd done that a bit earlier. We looked a bit like we did in the beginning of the season, full of spirit and fight.

Said the same on twitter but would be nice to see Agnew get a bit of credit today, if we lost today he would certainly be getting pelted as usual.

I don't want him to get the job next year, but giving him credit where it's due is not an endorsement.

Aye fair play to the guy he got it right today.

Special mention to Marten de Roon and Negredo, I thought they were terrific today. De Roon in particular, he was outstanding.

Special mention to Marten de Roon and Negredo, I thought they were terrific today. De Roon in particular, he was outstanding.

Yep, both top class. Would love to keep De Roon for next year he would be mint in the Champ, can't see it though!

Stuani is *** awful, there's hope for all of us if he's a Premier League footballer

No he's not, he's great.

I see you're trying to make up for your defeat yesterday, Billy  :)

Loved the grinning face of De Roon after the penalty. Shocking refereeing today, although Forshaw should've been sent off for that challenge on De Bruyne.

I haven't read the thread, but does anyone else think the foul on Mane leading to City's 2nd goal was a tad soft? Mane throwing himself to the ground again.

It was nice seeing us play without any sort of pressure. If only we'd done that a bit earlier. We looked a bit like we did in the beginning of the season, full of spirit and fight.

Free kick for the second was soft as ***e as well but we're good enough defensively that we shouldn't have conceded from it. Like CT said though, that is probably the only incident I could criticise today.

Yep, both top class. Would love to keep De Roon for next year he would be mint in the Champ, can't see it though!

I know. I hope we can somehow convince him to stay but it's not going to happen is it with the World Cup just around the corner. We should comfortably get back what we paid for him, maybe even more as he's proven himself in the Prem. But whoever comes in is going to have a decent sized transfer kitty (parachute payments + player sales) so intriguing summer in store.

I thought we would get battered today, its been a long time since I could say I was proud of the team, battled for everything, played some good football and I'm gutted for the player's because they've been robbed of a superb victory.

Our defense was excellent and any PL managers watching that game have got to be impressed with Gibson, along with Chambers he won everything in the box and said it before we've stole Fabio.

It's hard to know what to say after that, robbed I suppose comes to mind. It's not something I've said often on here as I don't believe in digging out refs but there's no *** way that was a penalty.

The game itself was odd in that we looked strangely confident for the most part, right from the start really. We mostly defended well but we also attacked with a purpose that has been sadly lacking for a long time. Although we almost certainly had less possession in the first half I'd be willing to bet we actually had more shots than they did and we probably wasted a few good situations as well - Downing overhitting a couple of crosses and a few other pieces of attacking play when we took the wrong option or just didn't produce the quality needed at the right moment. I felt that we actually deserved to lead at the break and I can't remember how often I've thought that this season.

The second half, predictably I suppose, was a bit different. Man City were forced into changing things early in the second half, which was to our credit. They certainly seemed to be putting us under more pressure and yet it never quite felt like we were on the verge of breaking. I'd have been tempted to bring Traore on before they scored to give us a bit more threat going the other way but I can't really fault Agnew for holding on. The penalty didn't look like a penalty to me, he kicked the ball one direction and ran into de Roon. The impressive thing though is that we didn't let our heads drop, we made a positive substitution and thankfully forced the second goal. Conceding the second as we did was disappointing and maybe we let ourselves down there but if so it was just about the only moment across the whole game where we did.

Being picky I felt that Stuani had another poor game but in fairness he was trying to link the play down the right hand side it's just that it wasn't really happening for him. I also felt that Clayton was poor in some respects. He seemed to be pushing too far on at times and allowing City players, particularly de Bruyne, to get into the space in front of our back four. However, he also did a lot of good so that really is me being picky. I think everyone else had solid enough games. Negredo ran himself into the ground it appeared and de Roon had a good showing I thought. Even he was knackered by the end and that's saying something.

The result didn't quite go the way we wanted but honestly I'd have loved to watch that team playing throughout this season. A team with that attitude, that determination and that purposefulness is light years ahead of pretty much everything else we've seen this season, even most of the other wins in my opinion. We really were a Premier League team today.

BORO played great and should or would have won but for the referee...

One good performance in what? about 8 games and he's suddenly the man to take us forward.

Are you going to trust him in the transfer market in the summer when he has no previous experience in buying players. I don't think he'll be able to attract players here either.

I don't believe one good game makes man. That goes for all at BORO but today was a day to be proud of. Only the referee prevented us a win.

I'm gutted I missed this game, just reading back through some of the comments sounds like I've missed a cracking game. It must of been some game if CT is full of praise ?. Haven't seen the squad did Fischer get any minutes today, what was the starting line up?