oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clayton took a while to get up to speed. I really feared for him the first 5 or so games into the season as he was just watching the ball zip by around him, but i think he grew in to the season and was doing a good job come the final run in. Clayton suffered with not having a quality midfielder alongside him too. The closest player we have that compliments him is Forshaw and he did all his good work at the start of the season.

Yeh i'd agree with this, i think its so important we pick up a dynamic midfielder that can play centrally and keep posession but also has the footballing brain to keep composed and be a threat in attacking positions.

@TransferCentreL: Burnley, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City, Cardiff City and Nottingham Forest have all enquired about Leicester City midfielder Tom Lawrence.

Seen a few people mention this lad.

Clayton took a while to get up to speed. I really feared for him the first 5 or so games into the season as he was just watching the ball zip by around him, but i think he grew in to the season and was doing a good job come the final run in. Clayton suffered with not having a quality midfielder alongside him too. The closest player we have that compliments him is Forshaw and he did all his good work at the start of the season.

Yeh i'd agree with this, i think its so important we pick up a dynamic midfielder that can play centrally and keep posession but also has the footballing brain to keep composed and be a threat in attacking positions.

Where do you find a player like that for the Championship though that's the problem. Off the top of my head it sounds like you are describing someone like Cairney from Fulham.

They've just turned down 20m for him, how much would be have to pay for a player like that? 30m?

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way just thinking how difficult it is to find a goal scoring midfielder at our level.

Where do you find a player like that for the Championship though that's the problem. Off the top of my head it sounds like you are describing someone like Cairney from Fulham.

They've just turned down 20m for him, how much would be have to pay for a player like that? 30m?

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way just thinking how difficult it is to find a goal scoring midfielder at our level.

We'll have to look outside of the championship, maybe at the French or Dutch leagues.

Yeh you have definitely have a point, i think Newcastle signing Ritchie last year was really key for them, i guess we'd have to look to Europe for someone like that, we had it the year we went up with Ramirez who was key for us but we all know how ended up.

A name off the top of my head is Josh Morris from S***horpe, think he got +15 goals and assists from left midfield in League One last year but can also play centrally. Couple champ clubs looked at him in January.

If we can get 30 million from de roon, traore and Ramirez instead of selling Gibson then that is a massive yes from me.

Same here and it doesn't really weaken the team either based on their performances in the second half of the season.

Don't really understand why we would sell Traore for £8 million though, he's absolutely worth more in today's market. It was West Ham's opening offer, accepting it is just bad business.

Yeh you have definitely have a point, i think Newcastle signing Ritchie last year was really key for them, i guess we'd have to look to Europe for someone like that, we had it the year we went up with Ramirez who was key for us but we all know how ended up.

A name off the top of my head is Josh Morris from S***horpe, think he got +15 goals and assists from left midfield in League One last year but can also play centrally. Couple champ clubs looked at him in January.

certainly agree with these points  BLB has brought up in recent posts . that was until the last bit ,for me Shelvey was the player that made the difference rather than Ritchie but i can see what you mean regading the sort of player we need .  Morris from S***horpe although he had a brilliant goalscoring record particularly in the first half of last sason massively dissapointed me when i watched him in the play offs and a few games at the end of the season that were shown.hes unfortunately got the same bad points as Downing regarding tackling and taking the less brave option when under pressure and seems quite lightweight .

If we can get 30 million from de roon, traore and Ramirez instead of selling Gibson then that is a massive yes from me.

Yeh I completely agree. £12-15m for De Roon, £10-15m for Traore and £5m for Snakeboi would be a good return. If Gibson is happy to stay and be the biggest fish in the pond then I'd be delighted, if not we'll have £50m+ in player sales to build a squad.

So taking a step back it looks like our primary targets right now are Bartley and Assambalonga for 22 million pounds?

Footballs gone mad and Karanka didn't get every signing right but that is an extraordinary amount of money for 2 players of their calibre. I get the feeling so far this summer we're going to be signing domestic players and selling foreign players which is the clubs prerogative but the sums we're talking about are not going to give us value for money seems like we're following the same trend in January of chasing Snodgrass/Gestede/Bamford I hope I'm wrong but so far speculated targets and fees aren't filling me with a great deal of confidence that sufficient change has been made in the transfer department the same transfer department that identified Lindelof Mounier etc seems a shame to throw the entire strategy of building up European scouting in favour of overpaying for domestic players. Big money figures are flying around now if we bring the pair in other clubs will know what we'll pay and this could be the tip of a very expensive iceberg come September I might be alone but I don't think this plan is necessarily the right one to follow it will just crank up the pressure. Newcastle spent money to get back up and we'll probably follow their path but Newcastle paid a premium on 1-2 players we're starting off paying a premium on both Bartley and Assam I hope it pays off.

So taking a step back it looks like our primary targets right now are Bartley and Assambalonga for 22 million pounds?

Footballs gone mad and Karanka didn't get every signing right but that is an extraordinary amount of money for 2 players of their calibre. I get the feeling so far this summer we're going to be signing domestic players and selling foreign players which is the clubs prerogative but the sums we're talking about are not going to give us value for money seems like we're following the same trend in January of chasing Snodgrass/Gestede/Bamford I hope I'm wrong but so far speculated targets and fees aren't filling me with a great deal of confidence that sufficient change has been made in the transfer department the same transfer department that identified Lindelof Mounier etc seems a shame to throw the entire strategy of building up European scouting in favour of overpaying for domestic players. Big money figures are flying around now if we bring the pair in other clubs will know what we'll pay and this could be the tip of a very expensive iceberg come September I might be alone but I don't think this plan is necessarily the right one to follow it will just crank up the pressure. Newcastle spent money to get back up and we'll probably follow their path but Newcastle paid a premium on 1-2 players we're starting off paying a premium on both Bartley and Assam I hope it pays off.

I must be in the minority in being extremely excited by signing Britt Assombalonga, if he plays 40+ games next season he will get 20+ goals in a team seeking promotion.

I must be in the minority in being extremely excited by signing Britt Assombalonga, if he plays 40+ games next season he will get 20+ goals in a team seeking promotion.

I don't think you are, I'd be absolutely buzzing if we got him. Yes he's expensive but so was Gayle for Newcastle, Gray for Burnley.