oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Okay then. Who, in the last 5 years, have we sold for far too low a transfer fee?

Here's an example from the last five minutes Tom:

@EverythingMFC

Antonio Barragan's loan to Betis includes the option of a €1m permanent transfer. #boro [Estadio Deportivo]

But isn't the widely regarded opinion that Barragan is crap? We signed him for £2.3m according to transfermarkt, that was for a 29 year old. If we sell him for €1m (just shy of £900,000) in a year's time, that will be for a 31 year old with a year left on his contract, having not had to pay his wages for a year. If Betis don't take up the option, we may even get more for him (of course, we may also get less). So we will have lost money on him, yeah. But will we have sold him for 'far too low a fee', which is what I asked? I would say no, considering he's had a poor season here and we probably overpaid a bit for him in the first place.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay then. Who, in the last 5 years, have we sold for far too low a transfer fee?

@EverythingMFC

Antonio Barragan's loan to Betis includes the option of a €1m permanent transfer. #boro [Estadio Deportivo]

Edit: That's rather tongue-in-cheek. I agree that it's best to get shot of players rather than hold on for a fee that no one will want to pay.

As discussed with Borodane, I think we're actually more guilty of paying over the odds for players, which then gives the perception that we're crap at selling when they end up going for less.

Cheers.

id say we're getting the better deal there personally. the mans garbage. also, re: rhodes, we didnt really lose money on him did we, we just paid extra once we got promotion, which, due partly to his goals, made us a hell of lot of money. had we not got promoted, we'd have simply recruited what we paid for him. if we look back over our tranfers over the last 5 years or so, we'll see that we made money on some players & paid over the odds for others, the same as most other clubs, especially ones that are showing ambition. people are shouting out that we should pay £12m for assombolonga, but what if he flops. is it not best to sell him for £9/£10m than hold onto him for fear of us losing money on him?

Just saw that you were only kidding, Betamax. Fair enough. But until we actually sell one of our valuable assets for 20p and a bag of Wotsits, I maintain that we aren't actually that bad at negotiating sales!

@EverythingMFC

But isn't the widely regarded opinion that Barragan is crap? We signed him for £2.3m according to transfermarkt, that was for a 29 year old. If we sell him for €1m (just shy of £900,000) in a year's time, that will be for a 31 year old with a year left on his contract, having not had to pay his wages for a year. If Betis don't take up the option, we may even get more for him (of course, we may also get less). So we will have lost money on him, yeah. But will we have sold him for 'far too low a fee', which is what I asked? I would say no, considering he's had a poor season here and we probably overpaid a bit for him in the first place.

Tom, it's not a debate I can win, because if you've said 'far too low a fee', whoever I mention, you can say you don't consider it to be 'far' too low. It becomes a matter of opinion / perception.

One COULD argue that selling Barragan for over 50% less than we paid for him just 12 months later is 'far too low a fee' - but as you and others have said, when you factor in his wages, age, crap season, and the fact that WE probably shouldn't have paid quite so much.... then it's best to get shot of him.

(I think the bottom line seems to be that we're more guilty of paying over the odds than of selling under them).

@EverythingMFC

I think this in a way is a good example of what Tom and co. are talking about.  We've played a blinder here if we only have to pay them €1m to take him off our hands.  That's tough negotiating right there.

Just saw that you were only kidding, Betamax. Fair enough. But until we actually sell one of our valuable assets for 20p and a bag of Wotsits, I maintain that we aren't actually that bad at negotiating sales!

Agreed Tom. I accept that it's actually purchases where we're falling more short, not sales so much.

I don't think there are too many clubs that don't overpay for purchases nowadays. I don't think we are too bad in comparison to others. Yes there are plenty of examples of bad pieces of business, e.g. Alves, Downing Gedioura. But for every bad bit of business, we have also pulled off a number of blinders, e.g. Friend, Ayala, Clayton. When you compare us to teams like Villa, I don't think our business is all that bad. Unfortunately it's just a case of players being heavily overpriced nowadays!

John Ruddy linked with Villa. I wonder if that's them admitting defeat in getting Johnstone, or at least preparing a Plan B if he doesn't go there.

I don't think there are too many clubs that don't overpay for purchases nowadays. I don't think we are too bad in comparison to others. Yes there are plenty of examples of bad pieces of business, e.g. Alves, Downing Gedioura. But for every bad bit of business, we have also pulled off a number of blinders, e.g. Friend, Ayala, Clayton. When you compare us to teams like Villa, I don't think our business is all that bad. Unfortunately it's just a case of players being heavily overpriced nowadays!

We also got 6 times more for Adomah than we paid Bristol. You lose money and you make money on transfers. Every signing is a gamble.

With Keane going to Everton for £25m and Maguire for £17m I think if a club that Gibson wants to go to comes in with an offer of anything between those numbers then he's gone.

Can't see him going to West Brom, Stoke etc though.

Don't want to lose Friend even though £8m would allow us to get someone half decent in, it won't necessarily mean we get someone that puts 100% effort in on and off the pitch like George.

Think DeRoon is gone just don't know who to. I reckon it'll be back to Italy or Belgium just a feeling. Would love to keep him but doubt it's going to happen.

Don't understand signing Sam Johnstone when we have 2 young keepers in Ripley and Meijas.

Other than Assombalonga none of the players we're 'linked' with excite me. So far it seems like we could be losing too many first team players.

I just keep thinking that it's going to be January all over again... we might want decent players as replacements but are their clubs going to sell to us and will they want to come. Then we end up being worse off.

Monk wants to keep a lot our core together, the only way we will sell is if we get offers which are too good to turn down and the players want to leave. We dont have any pressure to sell.

Too many so called first team players are leaving because they have done nothing.

Fischer- nothing could be argued not given enough time

Downing- shambles , hides in games

Barragan- worst right back we have ever had

Ramirez- no explanation needed

Husband?-

Baptiste?

De Pena?

To me its all deadwood and players he doesnt want going. Id be worried if we were selling Ayala, Gibson, Bamford, Clayton but we ain't. Im not worried about no incomings yet either

The sooner the better yes but quality over quantity is needed .

So what is the chance uncle Steve asks Ben to stay until January to see how we are doing, before selling. It is possible come January, teams may be more inclined to spend more on shoring up the defence and overspend. If we are doing well he may stay. Win win. Unless he plays crap, gets injured or nobody wants him. This to me would be a better scenario than selling. Even though I realize it may be better for him financially and professionally to leave now. Other than that I am very interested to see who we get in. UTB.

How about we loan Gibson to a Prem team. If we go up he comes back if we don't he would be worth even more money and he gets a chance of playing in the World Cup

The only down side is we wouldn't get the money now ..but do we need all the cash we have anyway