oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What type of midfielder is he? Player maker, box to box?

From what I remember he is playmaker type that joins the attacks and has good pass on him. Has 25 goals and 25 assists in 146 Championship games so a contribution every three games. Very decent return. Unfashionable perhaps but a player that will probably slot in without a bedding in period.

An attack minded CM. Like Guedioura was supposed to be  :dodgy:

Howson is good in this league though, and his scoring record at Championship level is decent.

An attack minded CM. Like Guedioura was supposed to be  :dodgy:

Howson is good in this league though, and his scoring record at Championship level is decent.

Wouldn't mind if Guerioura was out and Howson in then

An attack minded CM. Like Guedioura was supposed to be.

:D

I still can't get my head around how bad Guedioura was last season whenever he came on as a substitute. His trademark rocket shots were going all over the bloody place. But the thing is he is a pretty decent championship player, should Monk give him a chance in pre season?

Howson & Clayton would be a good partnership at this level. If you look at the holding mids in the sides which have been promoted, generally they're not hugely productive on the goals/assists front.

Taking Championship stats some, over the past 4 seasons the average holding midfielder from an automatically promoted Championship side contributes to 8.5 goals throughout the season. If you're looking at the Mean - to compensate for the exceptional high and low scores - it's 6. So if your holding mids are each contributing between 6-9 goals throughout the season, you're doing alright as automatic promotion goes. It's a myth that you need massively creative midfielders in the deeer positions to get promoted; grit, determination and steel seems more important.

Edit: Looking at it, Howson smashed that average last season. Could be an indication of Monk looking at his 4-3-3 system from the Swansea days and Howson as the more advanced of a fluid midfield 3?

On another note, would anyone take Jonny Howson from Norwich, he is available with them rebuilding their squad. Scores and makes goals from Midfield, reasonable age having just turned 29, Premier league experience - 21/5/17

Called it haha. Howson would be a good signing, he performed well in the Prem also.

An attack minded CM. Like Guedioura was supposed to be.

:D

I still can't get my head around how bad Guedioura was last season whenever he came on as a substitute. His trademark rocket shots were going all over the bloody place. But the thing is he is a pretty decent championship player, should Monk give him a chance in pre season?

If we're stuck with him, I suppose we may as well. De Sart has gone, De Roon is going, that leaves us with Clayton, Forshaw, Leadbitter and Guedioura as it stands. I think Grant might be off if Howson comes in, he's certainly good enough to be first choice somewhere else. So Guedioura might end up as a regular sub.

Personally, I'd get rid if we can, but I don't think we'll get close to what we paid.

If we do go for the Midfield three, you'd have Howson/Forshaw for the more advanced role, and Clayton/Leadbitter/Guedioura - and possibly Forshaw again - battling for the holding mids role. That'd work.

Think Forshaw could do well under Monk - more so if we had someone like Howson as the advanced mid. He'd have more freedom to link the play between Clayton holding and Howson getting forward; could be a good system for him.

On another note, would anyone take Jonny Howson from Norwich, he is available with them rebuilding their squad. Scores and makes goals from Midfield, reasonable age having just turned 29, Premier league experience - 21/5/17

Called it haha. Howson would be a good signing, he performed well in the Prem also.

Look like your having a good ole chinwag to yourself there pal, you alright? :)