oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

No doubt Orta was an absolute turdburger, but Gill does not have clean hands at all. People are also conveniently forgetting Negredo and Valdes who most definitely will have been down to the pull of Karanka/Orta. We also managed to make a good profit on Bernardo even including his wages. So some wins and some losses on both sides, though clearly the attitude of Orta was what caused a lot of the crap behind the scenes last year.

What I don't like is the undercurrent of opinion that seems to be local boy Gill and local boy Gibson can do no wrong, bringing in some good "British" players, as if their nationality should make a difference.

Are you conveniently forgetting that Valdes was awful?

Until the end when he got "injured" he was far from awful?

injured? sided with orta/karanka and refused to play. yes that type of injured,

That's why he put the quotation marks in mate.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No doubt Orta was an absolute turdburger, but Gill does not have clean hands at all. People are also conveniently forgetting Negredo and Valdes who most definitely will have been down to the pull of Karanka/Orta. We also managed to make a good profit on Bernardo even including his wages. So some wins and some losses on both sides, though clearly the attitude of Orta was what caused a lot of the crap behind the scenes last year.

What I don't like is the undercurrent of opinion that seems to be local boy Gill and local boy Gibson can do no wrong, bringing in some good "British" players, as if their nationality should make a difference.

Hence the quotation marks he used.

I think it's well known Gill has been instrumental in establishing (almost from scratch) alongside Mowbray, in setting up the scouting network. I'm not not sure where you get this idea about "local" boys etc etc. I think that's a load of nonsense. We've recruited experienced Championship players with potential to make the step up to the Premier League. What's not to like?

@ Teapot ... Valdes was excellent

For the record, I'm not against Gill, and clearly our business so far seems to have been very good. I guess I was just riled up a bit by the "British" players comment, and I suppose thinking long-term I'm a little concerned that Gibson has considered the entire "foreign manager/scouting/players" experiment as an unmitigated disaster and is now going too far the other way with keeping local boys and British as we can.

If we want to be a successful Premier League team we'll need to be an multinational club throughout, with a balance. Nothing wrong with that, just requires good man-management - both from the chairman and the manager, the latter of whom was very poor at that last season.

I think it's well known Gill has been instrumental in establishing (almost from scratch) alongside Mowbray, in setting up the scouting network. I'm not not sure where you get this idea about "local" boys etc etc. I think that's a load of nonsense. We've recruited experienced Championship players with potential to make the step up to the Premier League. What's not to like?

@ Teapot ... Valdes was excellent

For the record, I'm not against Gill, and clearly our business so far seems to have been very good. I guess I was just riled up a bit by the "British" players comment, and I suppose thinking long-term I'm a little concerned that Gibson has considered the entire "foreign manager/scouting/players" experiment as an unmitigated disaster and is now going too far the other way with keeping local boys and British as we can.

If we want to be a successful Premier League team we'll need to be an multinational club throughout, with a balance. Nothing wrong with that, just requires good man-management - both from the chairman and the manager, the latter of whom was very poor at that last season.

I dont think that will happen. We have just splashed 9 mil on a foreign striker\winger whose never played a game in english football so clearly our focus is not restricted to british based players.

That's why he put the quotation marks in mate.

YES i seen that. boo valdes.

His dodgy flapping and punching, and failure to command his area, in the first third of the season resulted in a lot of lost points.  He was garbage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/22/ranking-20-best-goalkeepers-premier-league-201617/simon-mignolet-liverpool/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/22/ranking-20-best-goalkeepers-premier-league-201617/victor-valdes-middlesbrough/

This guy doesn't like him either.

His dodgy flapping and punching, and failure to command his area, in the first third of the season resulted in a lot of lost points.  He was garbage.

Wtf is this? Are you blind? Do you think that Guzan is Valdes? I'll criticise him as much as anyone else for walking out on us after Karanka but his performances on the pitch were solid at worst and absolutely brilliant at his best.

Are people actually giving the scouting team credit for signings like Assombalonga, Christie and Howson? I could have recommended those 3 players. Christ, any fan of Championship football could have recommended those 3 players. If I were to hazard a guess, those are players that Monk has asked for.

The players that our scouting team will have been involved in are the likes of Mahmutovic (sp), George Miller, perhaps Braithwaite and the rest of these U23 signings.

Anyway, back to more important topics, our team is starting to look fantastic. I've really admired Tottenham this season. They have just looked quicker, stronger, more powerful and athletic than their opposition in every position every time I watched them. So I'm really happy with the signings of Christie, Assombalonga, and Braithwaite... all signings with great physical attributes. Must admit that I am getting very excited about the coming season.

Wtf is this? Are you blind? Do you think that Guzan is Valdes? I'll criticise him as much as anyone else for walking out on us after Karanka but his performances on the pitch were solid at worst and absolutely brilliant at his best.

as much as I'd like to think he's confused Guzan with Valdes, Victor hadn't shaved his head till about halfway through the season so it's highly unlikely he's confused the two keepers.

Physicality dominates the modern game so if Assombalonga comes we have three players (Assombalonga, Traore, Braithwaite) who have physical attributes in abundance. If Gaston stays, or we sign a similar player to him, we'll also have the creative spark to compliment the other three. Exciting times!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/22/ranking-20-best-goalkeepers-premier-league-201617/simon-mignolet-liverpool/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/22/ranking-20-best-goalkeepers-premier-league-201617/victor-valdes-middlesbrough/

That guy and you clearly haven't got a clue. Best keeper since Schwarzer.

That guy and you clearly haven't got a clue. Best keeper since Schwarzer.

Before we signed Valdes I always had him down as the weak link of the Barca team, never particularly rated him. Once he came, despite some early shaky performances, he showed to me exactly why he had been a mainstay in that Barca team for so many years. Unfortunately he spoilt it by being a spineless snake once Karanka left. For a player who has accomplished so much to lack any degree of professionalism is appalling. So yeah, great player, massive ***.

Valdes made some eccentric decisions which very nearly cost us some goals early on in the season, he was making those decisions about once per game, you could see him getting himself into pretty poor positions.

But good lord, awful? Barring those errors of judgement (which actually, for the most part, didnt actually make a jot of difference to our results) he was exceptional. Easily one of if not the best keeper we've ever had in the Premier League era. Schwarzer did it for longer and cannot forget what he did for us but in terms of shot stopping, Valdes could have won us points had the other end of the field actually been doing it's job.