oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Midfield 3 of De Roon/Clayton/Howson (AM/10) should boss this league and give the 3 up top plenty of support

3 up top? 1 up top. All preseason we've played 4-2-3-1.

don't think its worked though.

I completely agree. I hate the system. Was saying it tongue in cheek. I still want us to play 4-4-2 tbh

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come to think of it, as Gaston stays we are on the verge of going into a season again relying on him as our only creative outlet really .. and that could be very damaging to Monk's reign.

It's surprising in some ways that he seems ready to risk this and seems a little naive, but we just don't know what's going on at Rockliffe and what convos he has had with Gaston. It's his agent that seems the main problem in creating a stir.

We should be really trying hard for a replacement for him as it stands while there is a fair amount of time in the transfer window left. I just worry we aren't looking hard or even bothering at the moment, given the links that are coming out in the rags etc ?? 

If Gaston stays, we can't afford him kicking up a stink half way through the season again .. If i was Monk i'd just get rid now, he must be wary of this .. there's got to be players out there who we can buy to replace him?? 

It's a really frustrating one this. Hope we get some clarity on it sooner than later ..

i think the scouting team will have drawn a long list of replacements donkeys ago for the likes of gaston, downing and the others we want rid of. nothing to worry about on that imo. its never been identifying targets that the problem. its acquiring them.

I don't believe for a second that we dont have a replacements in mind for Gaston. Him leaving was surely seen as probable in this window by the club. Plenty of attacking midfielders out there. They will have someone in mind.

Come to think of it, as Gaston stays we are on the verge of going into a season again relying on him as our only creative outlet really .. and that could be very damaging to Monk's reign.

It's surprising in some ways that he seems ready to risk this and seems a little naive, but we just don't know what's going on at Rockliffe and what convos he has had with Gaston. It's his agent that seems the main problem in creating a stir.

We should be really trying hard for a replacement for him as it stands while there is a fair amount of time in the transfer window left. I just worry we aren't looking hard or even bothering at the moment, given the links that are coming out in the rags etc ?? 

If Gaston stays, we can't afford him kicking up a stink half way through the season again .. If i was Monk i'd just get rid now, he must be wary of this .. there's got to be players out there who we can buy to replace him?? 

It's a really frustrating one this. Hope we get some clarity on it sooner than later ..

i think the scouting team will have drawn a long list of replacements donkeys ago for the likes of gaston, downing and the others we want rid of. nothing to worry about on that imo. its never been identifying targets that the problem. its acquiring them.

Yes. The Cernych link came out of nowhere, and Braithwaite had only been linked by a single source. Not every transfer is played out in public via the media.

I just think there has got to be a player out there who would be effective enough in this league to replace Gaston. I know his stats were great when he joined us in the Championship for that half of the season, but he isn't the only player in the Championship to have ever performed like that ha ha ... there's plenty out there, it's just identifying the right ones .. there's a gem somewhere at the right price. Easier said than done mind. 

As someone previously said, who are we going to replace him with, his stats were great last time and will be again IF he doesn't kick up a stink again .. and i think the likelihood is too high that he will. 

I do hope it's just his agent being a knob and Gaston will stay and perform well for the full season. There's always the January window though too, soon as that comes you can guarantee his agent will be spouting again. If we have got to that point with Gaston being our main man, we're in danger of season derailing .. It's a really frustrating one this is. 

I think Gaston is gone though. With him off, Downing going to Brum .. I feel we are incredibly bare in that area again. I hope Monk gets it sorted and we're at work as we speak sorting this out.

I don't believe for a second that we dont have a replacements in mind for Gaston. Him leaving was surely seen as probable  Preferred in this window by the club. Plenty of attacking midfielders out there. They will have someone in mind.

fixed it :)

as for the lack of creativity we all worry about, the who will create all our chances craic? i was stressing meself but i think we are over estimating the opposition a bit. braithwaite, bamford, britt, gestede, traore, howson and any gaston replacement dont need some magician to create goals for them. give any of them the ball in around the box and they'll make something happen. mabe not gestede with his feet but hes strong in the air and can power headers in with a simple accurate cross. we just need the crabs in midfield to play forwards faster instead of bimbling it side to side.

Personally I think we are already in talks with attacking midfielders. Deals can often take weeks to complete. We only get to hear about them when they are pretty close to being done (the last week or so) occasionally agents may leak certain information most to be shared around the inner circles of football and a little the media outlets to drum up a last ditch interest in their player. The other thing that stretches it out is the length of the transfer window. While there is plenty of time it's just a giant game of poker. As the window gets smaller it's a game of who blinks first. That's why there is so much activity the last week of the window.

What I'm trying to say is, even though it's (very) quiet at the moment I'm not worried as Steve Gibson has promised he'll back the manager in whatever he needs and I believe that he will

I'd love Jota. But I believe that if he's playing Championship football next season it will be for Brentford - at least until January, or at a huge push deadline day. Plus, he's predominantly played wide right and has certainly been more productive there. For the same reason I don't want Braithwaite to play central, I'd be loathed for us to play Jota there too.

The cash is there; the right candidate is a must. And for me, it has to be someone playing in their natural position. None of this 'Bamford wide right' or 'Braithwaite at No. 10' lark.