oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Can someone please explain to me why Ashley Fletcher is worth anything like £7 million, if that is indeed the figure? I've not seen the guy play but his stats are hardly mind-blowing. I've seen people saying he's "better than Gestede" but under what evidence?

If Monk wants rid of Gestede as he doesn't fit in with his plans then fair enough, but after all our complaining about Karanka not having a plan B - Gestede is the perfect player to provide one in this league. Just hope we aren't sacrificing options for the sake of an unproven 21-year-old.

Reading some of you guys' opinions does inspire a bit more confidence that we're at least getting someone who can play, and has potential, but I can't believe the figure quoted...

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are people thinking we are going 4-3-3? Monk doesn't seem to have played it before and hasn't done it in preseason.

I'm still concerned about who is going to be supplying the bullets for all these forwards we are buying. If Gaston leaves we are really putting all our eggs in the Traore basket hoping he'll come good with his end product.

With 6 strikers would you play one up front? You've just said "all these forwards we are buying". I guess it is most people's hope that they are played in their best positions. Like at Barca a team can accommodate 3 strikers in a system. I don't know one team that plays 3 real strikers in a 4-2-3-1

I'm still hoping that we are looking at playing a 433, it's my favourite formation, I'm really not a fan of getting to the byline and bashing the ball into the box, I prefer a more subtle approach.

A lot of the top teams are happy to play 433, Liverpool, ***nal, Spurs, if forwards are being signed on the premise of getting game time, then a 433 might be the most agreeable option,

Good managers are able to adapt to using different systems, I think Monk is intelligent enough to know what works with the players that he is bringing in, just because he has played 4231 in the past, doesn't mean that that is the only system he would ever consider using.

In the main, the criticism of AK was that he would only play one system, I'm hopeful that Monk will have a different approach.

Can we just clear something up that if a players name on a team sheet is in a wide position that doesn't mean they are a 'winger'. Not sure I could handle another full season of 'but xyz isn't a winger tho'.

I'm glad someone else can see it.

I know there's sceptics with him but a lot of us here, me included, have complained in the past at the club not taking punts on goalscorers like Gray/Bradshaw/Lawrence and Fletcher ticks a hell of a lot of boxes here especially given his contrast to Assambalonga in terms of style.

When he fills out a bit more over the next 2-3 years he could be a brilliant striker that's why WHU are wanting 7 million for him, our strikeforce is looking menacing now we just need a couple of new widemen to supply them...

Why are people thinking we are going 4-3-3? Monk doesn't seem to have played it before and hasn't done it in preseason.

I'm still concerned about who is going to be supplying the bullets for all these forwards we are buying. If Gaston leaves we are really putting all our eggs in the Traore basket hoping he'll come good with his end product.

Well you've sort of answered your own question there. We don't appear to be hunting down a replacement for Ramirez, we've brought in a load of forwards and, additionally, we have an abundance of central midfielders.

Whether we've played it in pre-season at this stage or not is besides the point. We've also played players who probably won't play this season for us, like Mahmutovic and Tavernier.

The way the squad is shaping up suits 4-3-3 or as I would prefer to look at it, 4-2-1-3. We haven't built a squad so far that suits a 4-2-3-1. We have no real left-wingers, we will soon have no real #10s, we only have one player who you can justify as being an out-and-out right winger. So why would you insist we will play that way?

Middlesbrough FC‏ @Boro  8m8 minutes ago

Ashley Fletcher is heading to #Boro for talks after we agreed a deal with @WestHamUtd.

➡️ http://bit.ly/2u1r8l3

Nice and transparent on the details of that deal...

Give over Will, the deal isn't even complete. We did the exact same with Randolph and released the fee when the player was actually signed.

Middlesbrough FC‏ @Boro  8m8 minutes ago

Ashley Fletcher is heading to #Boro for talks after we agreed a deal with @WestHamUtd.

➡️ http://bit.ly/2u1r8l3

Nice and transparent on the details of that deal...

Give over Will, the deal isn't even complete. We did the exact same with Randolph and released the fee when the player was actually signed.

Calm down mate, it was a joke.

Monk has now managed a season in the Championship, maybe his experience with Leeds last season has modified his thoughts, maybe he always wanted to play this way but didn't have the players, maybe he's the boss and they'll play were he wants them to etc.

Can we just clear something up that if a players name on a team sheet is in a wide position that doesn't mean they are a 'winger'. Not sure I could handle another full season of 'but xyz isn't a winger tho'.

I'm glad someone else can see it.

You're right it doesn't. What it normally means is a striker playing our of position!!! :P

I confess to knowing very little about Fletcher, but my mate who's a Barnsley fan just sent me this: "Good finisher, very strong, faster than he looks. Won't give defenders a second of peace, imagine he's a real *** to play against. Hoped we'd get him back on loan this year" (I think he was linked earlier in the summer)

And then attached this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZVpGQ3TbQ\

Who's that lad that scored the second? let's get him in! ;)

Carlton Cole gives a glowing report too:

:D

Haha t bags keeper ?

To everyone quoting the £7m figure, I'd be shocked if that was all up front. There will be goal, promotion, England call-up clauses all factored in.

Basically, like the '£10m' we paid for Bamford, if we shell out the full amount, he's been worth it.

I wish it was September so the transfer window was over and I knew what formation we were playing this season!

Despite having 6 strikers, 1 winger and 5 or so central midfielders, Monk has not played anything other than 4231 in any of the friendlies. Surely he would have tried at least one other formation if he wasn't sure about 4231.

I think Fletcher coming in just means he is available at a price we like and that either Bamford or Gestede are leaving.

This is all guesswork until we start the season.