oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

It didn't fully work on Saturday though, the link up between the midfield and forwards wasn't great and resulted in assombalonga dropping deep. We definately do need a replacement for gaston.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It didn't fully work on Saturday though, the link up between the midfield and forwards wasn't great and resulted in assombalonga dropping deep. We definately do need a replacement for gaston.

as we seen in the prem. we had a no10 , their dm just marked him out of games. gaston was anonymous because of it, thats why AK stopped playing a 10 i think. 

britt paddy and braithe were dropping off to pick the ball up, successfully turning and having another forward near by to link with.

with the 3 forwards occupying the defenders when they were dropping off, into the channel infront of the defensive line v augsberg. they were getting the ball and linking rather than us trying to find a tightly marked no10 with covering defender behind the dm. playing a no10 is effectively the best way to isolate a forward. you cant have the rw/lw/no10 and cf not tracking back. but we can have the 3 forwards effectively closing down from the front and staying forward as we'll have 1 extra midfielder in there behind the ball.  

when defending in the 4231 it looked like this:

------------rhodes

------------gaston

downing--------------stuani

-----leadbitter clayton 

see how easy it was to isolate the cf, stick a dm on gaston and x2 cb on rhodes. the fullbacks free to go forwards. we end up hitting long to clear lines more. 

now see the cf drops deep, could be any of them depending where the ball is who drops and shows for it. now britt drops deep off a cb. does the cb go with him or pass him on to a dm? if cb moves out of the defensive line then the other two have a gab to exploit. none of them are isolated. now the opposition fullback are pinned back a bit because if they go forward and lose possession we will have a very tasty looking 3 on 3 counter, if we can shift the ball quickly enough. i think the new formation shape is far far superior to AK's defensive crap. we dont need a 10. we have 3 false 9's potentially with one oo3 always staying higher.

braithe---------bamford

----------britt

----deroon howson

---------clayton

But we played that and assombalonga dropped far to deep and when gaston played behind Rhodes in the championship he was never isolated.

I don't get your logic that having 1 less attacker would mean the striker is less likely to be isolated? Using your example of last season negredo was in a different post code to our midfield.

None of our midfielders are clever enough or creative enough to do that link up job hence the need to replace gaston, we will regret it after a few games if we don't get someone in.

Also assombalonga is in no way a false 9, he's neither good enough on the ball or creative enough to do it.

But we played that and assombalonga dropped far to deep and when gaston played behind Rhodes in the championship he was never isolated.

I don't get your logic that having 1 less attacker would mean the striker is less likely to be isolated? Using your example of last season negredo was in a different post code to our midfield.

None of our midfielders are clever enough or creative enough to do that link up job hence the need to replace gaston, we will regret it after a few games if we don't get someone in.

Also assombalonga is in no way a false 9, he's neither good enough on the ball or creative enough to do it.

it was a friendly and the first competitiveish game we played with the full team. of course it would be imperfect. but i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking it looked miles better than AKs foramtions (attacking shape).

and britt was the one staying furthest forward and most central. he was hardly playing all game just infront of howson and deroon. i think you and loads tbh are not seeing what i'm seeing after watching that friendly. i was worried about losing/replacing gaston until i seen first hand what monk is trying to do. we'll score a tonne this season imo.

If we are playing Clayton, De Roon and Howson in a midfield 3 everyone will be complaining about a lack of creativity after a few games.

We definitely need another Ramirez if he goes.

I'm not seeing what your seeing?

I know exactly what he's trying to do thank you and it didn't and won't work with assombalonga dropping off deeper. By doing that your taking away almost his whole game of playing on the last man, if that's how monk wants to use him then he's bought the wrong guy.

We need a passing midfielder. He doesn't have to be a guy who dribbles past people but someone who can roll great balls through to the strikers. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Gaston but it definitely shouldn't be a clobberer. Id class De roon and clayts more as ball winners than passers and leadboots can only play sideways....maybe why he thinks he's a good corner taker. I'm not quite sure which type howson is yet but I agree we need someone with a creative touch and eye for a pass. Someone of the ilk of Jack wilshere would be perfect (And that isn't me saying we should go get Jack wilshere!!!).

Isn't it Braithwaite who drops deeper? That certainly seemed to be what happened against Augsburg.

It was mostly Braithwaite yeh, although Bamford and Britt did both drop deeper every now and again, they were definitely more on the last man than Braithwaite was.

If we are playing Clayton, De Roon and Howson in a midfield 3 everyone will be complaining about a lack of creativity after a few games.

We definitely need another Ramirez if he goes.

Couldn't agree more with this comment!

Same crap as last year with 3central midfielders, trying to dictate the game from midfield with possession..

Only difference is Howson will be used as a box to box player.

We need to drop a centre midfielder and play with a number 10. Won't happen though as monk hasn't even tried it in pre season yet.

People who claim otherwise clearly have no concept of football formations.