oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

ramire.jpg?x11311

President Massimo Ferrero and UC Sampdoria report that they have definitively acquired from Middlesbrough FC the rights to sporting performance of footballer Gastón Exequiel Ramírez (born in Fray Bentos, Uruguay on 2 December 1990).

http://www.sampdoria.it/dal-middlesbrough-ecco-ramirez-luruguayano-e-blucerchiato/

Fray Bentos? No wonder he gave us tin pot performances last season...

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ramire.jpg?x11311

President Massimo Ferrero and UC Sampdoria report that they have definitively acquired from Middlesbrough FC the rights to sporting performance of footballer Gastón Exequiel Ramírez (born in Fray Bentos, Uruguay on 2 December 1990).

http://www.sampdoria.it/dal-middlesbrough-ecco-ramirez-luruguayano-e-blucerchiato/

I honestly thought getting over £7m for him was pie-in-the-sky stuff.

ramire.jpg?x11311

You've earned your crust with that one

ramire.jpg?x11311

You've earned your crust with that one

If there's add-ons involved, we'll have a steak in Sampdoria's fortunes this season.

Gibson deserves to be paid his market value. If he has been told an offer elsewhere would give him a 50% pay rise then we should offer him some sort of pay rise at least. Him being the owners nephew doesn't mean he should be give "un-preferential" treatment because we don't think he'll kick up a fuss. That would be truly unprofessional.

This. It's completely wrong to expect him to take a wage below his market value just because we know he won't kick up a fuss, like you say that would be completely unprofessional by the club.

I don't know how many of you work with contracts but when you agree to a contract there's an element of risk to both parties. The client employing the services of the employee accepts that over a four year period form may vary particularly given the age of Gibson. Likewise the employee accepts that he may not perform to the standards that have led to his new contract. This is priced in to the contract.

Bottom line is that Ben Gibson will not have signed a bum deal last summer as a Premier League player. The club rewarded his performances with a new contract which increases his wages and protects the club.

Should a player sign a new contract every time they have a good season? The unprofessional's like Ross McCormack maybe. It's worked well for him. That's not how the Boro work though.

We I'm with will on this one. If us offering a new contract is what it takes to keep him here I say do it. And if that puts Ben Gibson in the same category as Ross McCormack then so be it.

So if we have got £8 mil in for Gaston what is our current net spend. The press are loving throwing about figures of us spending £40 mil but our net spend must be under £10 mil and we have got some of the big earners off the books.

Gibson deserves to be paid his market value. If he has been told an offer elsewhere would give him a 50% pay rise then we should offer him some sort of pay rise at least. Him being the owners nephew doesn't mean he should be give "un-preferential" treatment because we don't think he'll kick up a fuss. That would be truly unprofessional.

This. It's completely wrong to expect him to take a wage below his market value just because we know he won't kick up a fuss, like you say that would be completely unprofessional by the club.

I don't know how many of you work with contracts but when you agree to a contract there's an element of risk to both parties. The client employing the services of the employee accepts that over a four year period form may vary particularly given the age of Gibson. Likewise the employee accepts that he may not perform to the standards that have led to his new contract. This is priced in to the contract.

Bottom line is that Ben Gibson will not have signed a bum deal last summer as a Premier League player. The club rewarded his performances with a new contract which increases his wages and protects the club.

Should a player sign a new contract every time they have a good season? The unprofessional's like Ross McCormack maybe. It's worked well for him. That's not how the Boro work though.

We I'm with will on this one. If us offering a new contract is what it takes to keep him here I say do it. And if that puts Ben Gibson in the same category as Ross McCormack then so be it.

That's incorrect though. He's not leaving unless an un-rejectable offer comes in.

So if we have got £8 mil in for Gaston what is our current net spend. The press are loving throwing about figures of us spending £40 mil but our net spend must be under £10 mil and we have got some of the big earners off the books.

Net spend is now just over £10m I believe

That's incorrect though. He's not leaving unless an un-rejectable offer comes in.

Or one comes in that he thinks should be accepted as it's a decent amount and he would get a nice rise but we don't let him go, he thinks it's unreasonable on our part and then doesn't play his part. Yes that means he stays but ends up being unsettled. Of course you think that won't happen because he is the chairman's nephew and won't kick up a fuss. Of course this means we are treating him differently to anyone else. Would you kick up a fuss. I know I'd have something to say about it.

You are placing a lot of faith in Ben simply playing the good nephew.

I think a good season in the Championship gave him a raise. A great season in the Premier League was unexpected. I don't think we really appreciated how good he was until we went up, his development flew up, way beyond that of Ayala who was previously considered undoubtedly as the best defender at the club.

It's not like he just had 2 good seasons in the Championship.

Net spend is now just over £10m I believe

It's an odd one though as if downing leaves we may have reduced the wage bill by somewhere between 5-10m with all these high earners being shipped out. Gibson has created the illusion that we've spent big without even really doing so and bringing the wages to a more sustainable level... even if we haven't had a huge net spend, there is no doubt that our team looks more balanced if not more talented than last years!