oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Having watched Shotton a number of times for Stoke over the years, please dont jump on the bandwagon saying this is a poor signing. A very capable backup and option for cover in The Championship. He is primarily a central defender but can play as a right back and is right footed. He is also very good at long throws. There are better options out there but his experience and relatively cheap price from reports makes sense.

A lot of Derby fans seem to disagree.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is £3m now considered relatively cheap for a Championship backup defender? Madness!

With our current CBs he'll likely be playing 20-30 games this season, so calling him backup is a touch misleading - we clearly see him contributing - whether he is good enough for that is a different question

Having watched Shotton a number of times for Stoke over the years, please dont jump on the bandwagon saying this is a poor signing. A very capable backup and option for cover in The Championship. He is primarily a central defender but can play as a right back and is right footed. He is also very good at long throws. There are better options out there but his experience and relatively cheap price from reports makes sense.

And a lot of Birmingham fans will tell you he's one of their best players.

I'm not entirely sold on him but he seems to have turned it around recently.

I just can't see him not starting given the way monk has chased him. I Was hoping it was him OR tisserand and we'd get tisserand (just going off the YouTube reel I rate him higher than shotton). On the plus side, with him converting from rb to Rcb I can't see him being a replacement for gibson

And a lot of Birmingham fans will tell you he's one of their best players.

I'm not entirely sold on him but he seems to have turned it around recently.

Everyone keeps saying that but I looked on their forum last week and the opinions were very mixed. Someone said he'll be 4th choice if/when they sign Flint.

Having watched Shotton a number of times for Stoke over the years, please dont jump on the bandwagon saying this is a poor signing. A very capable backup and option for cover in The Championship.  He is primarily a central defender but can play as a right back and is right footed. He is also very good at long throws. There are better options out there but his experience and relatively cheap price from reports makes sense.

I wouldn't worry too much about what that lot think they slated Christie, and so far so good watching him at RB. His crossing on Saturday was better than we have had from any fullback for a very long time, to be honest it's better than we have had from any winger from a long time. Lets hope he keeps it up.

I've quite liked Shotton when I've seen him quite a quick agile defender, rather have him than Terry or Samba!

Interesting if the Ojo news will prompt us to go back in for Murphy at Norwich their fans are already upset selling another of their young players is unthinkable to their board at this point surely.

Basically looking like we're back to the drawing board on the winger situation which isn't good I'm not a fan of playing strikers in wide areas especially because our fullbacks are just getting overloaded we could do with 1-2 actual wingers coming in to compliment Traore guess we'll wait and see.

Shotton is what he is but he's athletic which does help him make up for a lot of flaws he has, as a backup I don't really mind him coming in I mean having Shotton/Fry/Gibson/Ayala/Tisserand at CB is depth for sure though.

Is £3m now considered relatively cheap for a Championship backup defender? Madness!

No one of any importance has said he's a back up yet

This is my worry! I don't think he's good enough to be a starter. And he's too expensive to be a backup. Hence why I'm not really a fan of this signing!

No one of any importance has said he's a back up yet

This is my worry! I don't think he's good enough to be a starter. And he's too expensive to be a backup. Hence why I'm not really a fan of this signing!

But the concept of 'back up' and 'starter' is often a misjudgment anyway. Two years ago in the promotion season, Kalas played 30 games for us, Amorebieta played 16, despite going back to Fulham in the January. De Laet even managed 10. Yet when we remember that season, we probably think of Nsue-Ayala-Gibson-Friend as being the 'first choice' back 4.