oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

We had interest in Jordan Obita at the start of the window (was an offer accepted? I can't remember) but then he signed a new contract. Can't see him moving on a few months after getting a new deal.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its leicester and west brom who worry me about gibson and is gibson liverpools plan b if van dyke doesnt sign. There is going to be some very diasapointed people here come friday morning i think.

If Liverpool do get van dyke then Southampton may have a cheeky bid. I expected him to leave but now I think he has become indispensable so close to deadline day. I know it's daft money but we'd surely now be looking for 35mill plus with assurances that someone like chambers is signing for us possibly with another as cover.

I truly hope your wrong. If Gibo leaves so close to the deadline then we are dead too.

Doesn't appear we are going to make any progress this week, then, bar Shotton who should be done in a day or so.

Hugely disappointing. Our midfield just isn't good enough to gain promotion this season and feels underwhelming that we haven't made any progress in sorting this out.

This time last week it seemed Jota was more likely to end up here if he moved anywhere at all, now that move looks dead with the possible departure of Gibson too, the mood around the place is going to be low :(

Shame as our window got off to such a decent start but we are still lacking majorly in certain areas and it will show badly on us over the season.

I will be concerned if we try to continue with the current set up and truly hope there is activity soonest. Mainly the midfield and wing backs.

To add. With the circulating rumours surly there must be some truth to discontent in the ranks. I suppose after the season we had it could be expected but I hope it doesn't turn contagious. Newcastle comes to mind.

Dwight Gayle would have been assombalonga alternative, a good signing just not what we need.

Bit worrying he will end up at a rival team though possibly Leeds or Fulham someone like that, maybe even Sunderland if they can afford it.

Saw somewhere that he agreed a deal with Fulham for £16m

Dwight Gayle would have been assombalonga alternative, a good signing just not what we need.

Bit worrying he will end up at a rival team though possibly Leeds or Fulham someone like that, maybe even Sunderland if they can afford it.

Saw somewhere that he agreed a deal with Fulham for £16m

All the Newcastle based journalists and Sky Sports Keith saying the Gayle to Fulham thing is a load of rubbish. No approach, no bid.

Read loads of comments over the last few days about transfer in and outs over the last few weeks and Gibson's comments about 'smashing the league' this season. What seems clear to me is that none of the players we've bought are tried and tested at the level we need.

I can't remember how long we've been searching for a goal scorer and we seem to have been the lowest scoring team or thereabouts for a few seasons whether it's been the CH or PL. Buying Britt is great but he's not proven at the level we need and Rudy is frankly, not up to it.

We struggled last season with a lone striker and poor supply from midfield and we seem to be going down the same route this season. We're after players like Shotton and others who just aren't up to getting us promoted.

We aren't going to smash the league this season - I reckon we'll do well to challenge for a play off place. We need to get real about this soon as the team we have and the manager just aren't up to it.

You don't think Randolph, Christie, Howson, Assombalonga, Bamford and Gestede are proven at this level?  Bizarre.

You might not rate them, but they have all played at this level before and looking at the strikers all are capable of scoring 20+ goals at this level.  

Gestede scored 20 in 2014/15

Assombalonga scores roughly 1 in 2

Bamford scored 17 in 38 in 2014/15 and would probably have scored 20+ in a full season, played up front.

Gestede is a donkey, Britt is injury prone and will no doubt miss some part of the season, Bamford doesn't seem to fit in to Monk's plans....not really bizarre. Ok, so it's on 5 games gone but we're already fitting nicely in to the pattern of the last few years - failing to score enough, starting games too slowly and a complete lack of flair. Once we've shipped out Adama and 1 or 2 others then we'll not have made a massive net spend. 

Hope I'm wrong but other teams seem to hit the ground running (Wolves and Cardiff, even Ipswich) while we have an unfortunate history of doing well up until Xmas and then running out of steam so can't see us doing a Reading or Burnley of a few seasons ago.

Read loads of comments over the last few days about transfer in and outs over the last few weeks and Gibson's comments about 'smashing the league' this season. What seems clear to me is that none of the players we've bought are tried and tested at the level we need.

I can't remember how long we've been searching for a goal scorer and we seem to have been the lowest scoring team or thereabouts for a few seasons whether it's been the CH or PL. Buying Britt is great but he's not proven at the level we need and Rudy is frankly, not up to it.

We struggled last season with a lone striker and poor supply from midfield and we seem to be going down the same route this season. We're after players like Shotton and others who just aren't up to getting us promoted.

We aren't going to smash the league this season - I reckon we'll do well to challenge for a play off place. We need to get real about this soon as the team we have and the manager just aren't up to it.

You don't think Randolph, Christie, Howson, Assombalonga, Bamford and Gestede are proven at this level?  Bizarre.

You might not rate them, but they have all played at this level before and looking at the strikers all are capable of scoring 20+ goals at this level.  

Gestede scored 20 in 2014/15

Assombalonga scores roughly 1 in 2

Bamford scored 17 in 38 in 2014/15 and would probably have scored 20+ in a full season, played up front.

Gestede is a donkey, Britt is injury prone and will no doubt miss some part of the season, Bamford doesn't seem to fit in to Monk's plans....not really bizarre. Ok, so it's on 5 games gone but we're already fitting nicely in to the pattern of the last few years - failing to score enough, starting games too slowly and a complete lack of flair. Once we've shipped out Adama and 1 or 2 others then we'll not have made a massive net spend. 

Hope I'm wrong but other teams seem to hit the ground running (Wolves and Cardiff, even Ipswich) while we have an unfortunate history of doing well up until Xmas and then running out of steam so can't see us doing a Reading or Burnley of a few seasons ago.

Jeez talk about doom and gloom

The concern I have for this window is that our signings are not players who have been consistently challenging at the top of the Championship for a long haul 46 game season (Howson excluded) and along with that comes high expectation and pressure.

I think many share the same concerns of a Plan B option from midfield and wingers if we need to switch it up. This appears to be one of Monk's weaknesses mentioned by a large number of Swansea and Leeds fans and I still think we are limited in numbers for the squad.

The concern I have for this window is that our signings are not players who have been consistently challenging at the top of the Championship for a long haul 46 game season (Howson excluded) and along with that comes high expectation and pressure.

I think many share the same concerns of a Plan B option from midfield and wingers if we need to switch it up. This appears to be one of Monk's weaknesses mentioned by a large number of Swansea and Leeds fans and I still think we are limited in numbers for the squad.

Agree with this - not a case of total doom and gloom but just not getting too carried away at this point - evidence so far isn't exactly overwhelmingly positive and as I've said, many of our typical traits still seem to be there despite new manager and many new players - where does this come from??

I'm sure that we'll be challenging for a play off place but would rather see us doing a Newcastle or Huddersfield from last season.

Stoke palace and west brom all appear to be chasing the same players. Think the defender merry-go-round will include all 3. Just hope Ben isn't involved

Palace will buy Sakho, Evans will stay at WBA and Stoke won't pay 30 mil for Gibson. Let's hope it pans out that way:)

Mystic bd