oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Can see that being all the business then. Shotton and Johnson. We needed another centre-back, arguably one who screams first team which I don't believe Shotton is but we shall see.

And assuming we keep Traore and bring in Johnson, that's two proper wide options in a team that will arguably operate more narrow in midfield more often.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Marvin Johnson: I can't defend, but I'm enjoying left back role at Oxford United"

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/sport/14971892.Marvin_Johnson__I_can__39_t_defend__but_I__39_m_enjoying_left_back_role_at_Oxford_United/

Sounds like it was a new role for him, I don't think we'll be replacing George or Fabio with him, he's here as a winger.

"Marvin Johnson: I can't defend, but I'm enjoying left back role at Oxford United"

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/sport/14971892.Marvin_Johnson__I_can__39_t_defend__but_I__39_m_enjoying_left_back_role_at_Oxford_United/

Sounds like it was a new role for him, I don't think we'll be replacing George or Fabio with him, he's here as a winger.

bit like nsue and fabio  :D :D

bit like nsue and fabio  :D :D

Ha fair point, but to be honest, Nsue was absolutely pony as a winger.

Can see that being all the business then. Shotton and Johnson. We needed another centre-back, arguably one who screams first team which I don't believe Shotton is but we shall see.

And assuming we keep Traore and bring in Johnson, that's two proper wide options in a team that will arguably operate more narrow in midfield more often.

I'm inclined to agree. Shame the CB and LW coming in aren't first choice (well, maybe Shotton is, for some reason) but we got our first choices in for most of the attacking positions I think. At this stage in the window I'd take these two.

After that it's just a case of shutting up shop and not letting anyone go. We don't have the largest squad in any case, and we won't be able to replace people at this late stage.

Graeme Bailey saying we are still in for Jota, which presumably means he is the direct replacement if we get our valuation of Traore? If Traore doesn't go then Jota doesn't come.

I know jota did well last yr  but when he was on loan at eibar he wasn't a first choice. Which I'd have thought he would be if he was this super star we are all after

Don't think anyone is claiming he's a superstar. Also his time at Eibar is largely irrelevant, because we've seen him in the championship. And he's good in the championship. And you need players who are good in the championship to get out of the championship. All makes sense really.

I'm happy with this guy from oxford. Monks mate is the manager so it's either we need some money can you help me out or we are selling this lad and you really need to get in there he's a gem. Hopeing it's the latter :)

I know jota did well last yr  but when he was on loan at eibar he wasn't a first choice. Which I'd have thought he would be if he was this super star we are all after

Don't think anyone is claiming he's a superstar. Also his time at Eibar is largely irrelevant, because we've seen him in the championship. And he's good in the championship. And you need players who are good in the championship to get out of the championship. All makes sense really.

He has gone on record to say he prefers the pace of the English game, and he prefers being able to get on the ball more. Oddly I think he is a rare breed of a Spaniard more suited to the Championship than the Spanish league. That said there are always going to be questions about whether he can step up to a top division. But for now we know he can do it in the Championship.

I'm sorry but we've been here before with Boro. As much as I am all for buying young players with potential etc etc, we surely must have a different alternative lined up to Johnson?

I'm not writing him off, however, I personally would prefer to go with someone who is tried and tested in the championship.

We've seen with Fletcher that being young and exciting doesn't transpire to performance wise on the pitch.

If we weren't going for the autos this season I'd say yes fair play, bring him in. I just feel that we need a player who will improve the first 11 drastically. I don't see why we'd sign this guy Johnson and not play our own academy players who are about league 2 level?

He has gone on record to say he prefers the pace of the English game, and he prefers being able to get on the ball more. Oddly I think he is a rare breed of a Spaniard more suited to the Championship than the Spanish league. That said there are always going to be questions about whether he can step up to a top division. But for now we know he can do it in the Championship.

There was a quote from him a few months in to his Brentford career saying because of the pace of the league he was only playing 70-80% of his capability