oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

I'm sorry but we've been here before with Boro. As much as I am all for buying young players with potential etc etc, we surely must have a different alternative lined up to Johnson?

I'm not writing him off, however, I personally would prefer to go with someone who is tried and tested in the championship.

We've seen with Fletcher that being young and exciting doesn't transpire to performance wise on the pitch.

If we weren't going for the autos this season I'd say yes fair play, bring him in. I just feel that we need a player who will improve the first 11 drastically. I don't see why we'd sign this guy Johnson and not play our own academy players who are about league 2 level?

He isn't a young player with potential.  He is 26.  He isn't going to improve much from his current level.

Just to throw an argument at that opinion teapot, Jamie Vardy was 25 and still playing for fleetwood town. He managed to step up ok

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry but we've been here before with Boro. As much as I am all for buying young players with potential etc etc, we surely must have a different alternative lined up to Johnson?

I'm not writing him off, however, I personally would prefer to go with someone who is tried and tested in the championship.

We've seen with Fletcher that being young and exciting doesn't transpire to performance wise on the pitch.

If we weren't going for the autos this season I'd say yes fair play, bring him in. I just feel that we need a player who will improve the first 11 drastically. I don't see why we'd sign this guy Johnson and not play our own academy players who are about league 2 level?

He isn't a young player with potential.  He is 26.  He isn't going to improve much from his current level.

Just to throw an argument at that opinion teapot, Jamie Vardy was 25 and still playing for fleetwood town. He managed to step up ok

Oops just seen that this has already been posted

I'm not writing Fletcher OR Johnson if we get him, I'd support anyone as long as they wore a Boro shirt (except Baragan when he was still here).

My point was that I wouldn't want us to have an untested championship player as a first team regular if we are aiming for the automatics.

You've highlighted one person who may have improved.  Personally I disagree that he improved.  He scored goals throughout his career, at various levels, with varying amounts of success.  He had a purple patch in 2015-16, but other than that he has been hit and miss since 2012-13, sometimes getting into double figures, sometimes not.

I believe in the work Malcolm Gladwell and others have done, on putting in the work, getting to that 10,000 times figure and then after that you're at your level.  It may be that someone who starts later in life, like Ian Wright may take longer to hit their level.  Marvin Johnson has played 200 games in the last 5 years, he isn't going to improve much more.

I stand by that, you may feel differently, and he may prove me wrong.  I hope he does.  But I don't see him coming here and walking straight into the team then getting 8-10 goals and roughly the same number of assists this season.

He's a squad player, but that is just an opinion.

Apart from Britt, I don't really expect anyone to make such large direct individual contributions. I expect everyone to chip in here and there and their final goal/assists tally will not represent their contributions as a team member. Ironically we saw against Preston a bunch of individuals not in tune with one another which could have took one quality individual to turn the tide (it very nearly did had the keeper been sold by Downing's shot). But I think if we really want to take this team to the very top and maintain that position, we need the team to focus on working together rather than for themselves. Set team goals, not individual goals.

Everton are interested in Gestede and would be willing to pay around £10m for him apparently...

Could be interesting, think I'd be asking them for a player in exchange for him either on loan or permanent. Lookman or Calvert-Lewin on loan would be great!

Everton are interested in Gestede and would be willing to pay around £10m for him apparently...

We'd have to find an alternative though. Niasse on loan as a sweetener. Did well at hull last season despite not impressing at all at Everton.

Shotton currently at Rockliffe having his medical just been told from someone there.

Johnson there too now

Great. We need a few bodies. Thanks for the update.

I mean its clearly ***. Because if you want a big daft target man, you'd just go for Llorente, right?

Doubt Swansea wants to sell and if they do you can be assured it would cost a lot more than 10 mil and massive wages compared to Gestede.

Shotton currently at Rockliffe having his medical just been told from someone there.

Johnson there too now

The 2017 version of Mark Yeates and Sean St Ledger.

I mean its clearly ***. Because if you want a big daft target man, you'd just go for Llorente, right?

Doubt Swansea wants to sell and if they do you can be assured it would cost a lot more than 10 mil and massive wages compared to Gestede.

Yeah, but he's much better. Also he's about to sign for Chelsea, so clearly Swansea are okay selling him.