oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Thread, (Closes 8pm tonight)

Shotton currently at Rockliffe having his medical just been told from someone there.

Johnson there too now

The 2017 version of Mark Yeates and Sean St Ledger.

Come on they haven't even kicked a ball for us yet. Give them a chance FFS

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everton are interested in Gestede and would be willing to pay around £10m for him apparently...

They've enquired about Zahore from Cardiff as well, you would think they'd set their sights a bit higher

Everton are interested in Gestede and would be willing to pay around £10m for him apparently...

I mean its clearly ***. Because if you want a big daft target man, you'd just go for Llorente, right?

If you want to spend closer to 15mill and think you'll beat Chelsea to him then yeah. Otherwise, it you want a big lump of a striker I can't see many others around, certainly not with the same attributes.

Also found this link which suggests they'd pay more than I thought...

http://bjfoot.com/2017/08/30/transfert-everton-pense-a-gestede/amp/

'Everton, currently 12th in English PL and qualified for the group stages of the Europa League would have views on Rudy Gestede. The Mersey club would be ready to pay an offer of about 17 million euros to sign the Benin striker of M'Boro. It remains to be seen if the Manager of the Toffees Ronald Koeman will take action before the closing of the market."

I'm sorry but we've been here before with Boro. As much as I am all for buying young players with potential etc etc, we surely must have a different alternative lined up to Johnson?

I'm not writing him off, however, I personally would prefer to go with someone who is tried and tested in the championship.

We've seen with Fletcher that being young and exciting doesn't transpire to performance wise on the pitch.

If we weren't going for the autos this season I'd say yes fair play, bring him in. I just feel that we need a player who will improve the first 11 drastically. I don't see why we'd sign this guy Johnson and not play our own academy players who are about league 2 level?

He isn't a young player with potential.  He is 26.  He isn't going to improve much from his current level.

In the same way Jamie Vardy didn't???

I'm not convinced Vardy improve massively (he was scoring loads at the lower levels), I think Ranieri just found the perfect system to extract every last bit of talent and ability that he had.

... and got him a few run outs with the national team!

I'm sorry but we've been here before with Boro. As much as I am all for buying young players with potential etc etc, we surely must have a different alternative lined up to Johnson?

I'm not writing him off, however, I personally would prefer to go with someone who is tried and tested in the championship.

We've seen with Fletcher that being young and exciting doesn't transpire to performance wise on the pitch.

If we weren't going for the autos this season I'd say yes fair play, bring him in. I just feel that we need a player who will improve the first 11 drastically. I don't see why we'd sign this guy Johnson and not play our own academy players who are about league 2 level?

He isn't a young player with potential.  He is 26.  He isn't going to improve much from his current level.

In the same way Jamie Vardy didn't???

I'm not convinced Vardy improve massively (he was scoring loads at the lower levels), I think Ranieri just found the perfect system to extract every last bit of talent and ability that he had.

... and got him a few run outs with the national team!

.....and a premier league record of goals in consecutive games..

The comment suggests that Vardy could do it at a lower level so can do it at the top level. What's different with this guy???

Shotton currently at Rockliffe having his medical just been told from someone there.

Johnson there too now

That's a bit harsh. Could equally say the 2017 version of Adomah and Ayala (which would be more accurate)

Johnson there too now

That's a bit harsh. Could equally say the 2017 version of Adomah and Ayala (which would be more accurate)

We'll soon find won't we!

Johnson there too now

Yeates wasn't wanted by his current team, both Adomah and Johnson are/were one of their teams best players.

Shotton and Ayala are almost identical statistically.

Johnson there too now

Yeates wasn't wanted by his current team, both Adomah and Johnson are/were one of their teams best players.

Adomah had played and been successful at this level before unlike Johnson.

Ayala already had all the physical attributes to be a top player before he came here. What he needed was a good manager to spend time with him and a run of games. He was also 23 when we signed him so he was a future prospect.

Shotton is 28 years old and his career has pretty much declined since leaving Stoke. I've watched him play countless times and he looks very poor. I really don't see how you can compare Shotton to Ayala.

We're bringing in squad players for reasonable fees.. Seems fine to me. If Adama goes he _must_ be replaced.

On Adlene Guedioura when it say's "no one has seen him", I don't think that means he's literally been missing, it just means he hasn't played. He has been training alone, as he's shone in a few instagram videos. If he's away in Algeria for internationals, when he gets back I hope we give him a chance similar to Downing.. no reason not to ..

Johnson and Shotton look like 2 more solid champo level players for relatively low money so not major risks either way.

I don't agree with the narrative that says because they cost nowt and haven't won the ballon d'or they must be crap / Monk doesn't know what he is doing / Gibson's a fraud etc etc. All I see is a manager putting together a squad that he thinks should see us week in / week out with a first 11 plus bench that should see us go up

There will always be players we covet but won't come here and again there is nothing wrong with that. There are enough Oneboro members on here who choose to live away from the North East so it would be hypocritical of me to suggest that is wrong, but it has always been the case. Ultimately you have a list of people you want and you whittle that down to a list of people you can get, before ending up with the squad you have.

Some players will hit the ground running (Britt ?) and some wont (Fletcher) but that may well change over a long season. When the window closes and the squad is in place there are still 41 games to go . More than enough to at the very least compete at the top end of the league.

Adomah had played and been successful at this level before unlike Johnson.

Ayala already had all the physical attributes to be a top player before he came here. What he needed was a good manager to spend time with him and a run of games. He was also 23 when we signed him so he was a future prospect.

Shotton is 28 years old and his career has pretty much declined since leaving Stoke. I've watched him play countless times and he looks very poor. I really don't see how you can compare Shotton to Ayala.

I'm comparing them because they are virtually identical statistically, like I said.